Taurus PT1911

This is a discussion on Taurus PT1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My uncle and I were out today looking over some pistols. We looked at the PT1911 and we were impressed with it. Everything I've read ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

Taurus PT1911

My uncle and I were out today looking over some pistols. We looked at the PT1911 and we were impressed with it. Everything I've read so far pretty much says it's a fine pistol. I'm moving in with my son in the next couple of months and I'll be taking my gun safe and the firearms. For the last several years he has had the choice of any that I own to carry. He had been looking at the Stoeger Couger. After we looked at the PT1911 and checked it out we both decided that this was the better buy even though almost twice as much. I put it in layaway for him. With night sights it went for $600.00 which I don't think was a bad buy. It's not the Kimber CDP that he usually carries but I don't think it will be a bad 1st 1911 for him.

2. Remove Ads

I sure love mine.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Good choice.

I want one, but I also want to try an RIA tactical. Opinions vary about RIAs, but I am very impressed with my GI model. It shoots as well as my dad's GI Colt, maybe a bit better actually, and thus far functions without flaw regardless of ammo.

So I am torn between $600 for a Taurus or an RIA Tac. for just over $400.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    I shot one awhile back and was impressed. Its definatley a lot of gun for the money, with all the bells and whistles right out of the box.

Everyone around here that has them loves them, and the few gunshops that sell them cant keep em in stock,because people are finding aout about them.

Basically you are getting everything that a high end gun has for half the price.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Love mine so far. Been carrying it ever since my ctac showed up.
    Just a reminder Bud's Gun shop has them for $479.
    Got mine from them at 499 they dropped the price the following week by $20. Go figure.

The PT1911 is my former favorite budget 1911. It's only "former" because of the recent price hike. For $600, I think it's still a steal.

I've run a couple hundred nugs through four different ones without incident. The owners each report 100% satisfaction.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...Basically you are getting everything that a high end gun has for half the price.
    Well, you're getting high-end features - they're still a basic 1911 - but a GOOD basic 1911. The marketing suggests you're getting a $1000 gun - I'll argue you're getting a $750 gun - but it's still a great deal.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Good choice.

I want one, but I also want to try an RIA tactical. Opinions vary about RIAs, but I am very impressed with my GI model. It shoots as well as my dad's GI Colt, maybe a bit better actually, and thus far functions without flaw regardless of ammo.

I had a RIA Tactical and loved it. It took some work to make it work properly though. It was the first pistol I've ever owned that had failures often. A little work on the feed ramp and some different mags helped. The sights are far from ideal, so figure that into the price as well.

On the plus side, Ivan (their US rep) is great. I was having issues with the full length guide rod, and he shipped me a GI length rod free of charge. Can't beat that kind of service. I ended up getting rid of the pistol, it just wasn't my cup of tea. But, the Taurus is on the short list for the next 1911, as is the RIA compact model.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I just shot my PT 1911 for the first time this morning and was very impressed. It shot the cheap ammo that I bought and put every rd where I pointed...now granted I was only shooting at 10yds, but I kept a nice tight group inside a 1.5" circle. Tried a few "Double Taps" and even put 2 in the same hole. Gun seems to be very well balanced...I almost love it more than my USP 45
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Good choice.

I love my ROCKs, and I'd like to have them side by side to compare. But with that not being possiable I don't think we made a bad choice at all.

Make sure ya review it when ya get to ring it out

Bud, I hope my uncle can get it out in the next couple of months. I'm anxious to try this puppy out myself. I'll be contacting Gary to get a holster for him. Taurus gets a lot of bad mouthing from some people, but so far every one that I have gotten has been fine shooting pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker View Post
    Bud, I hope my uncle can get it out in the next couple of months. I'm anxious to try this puppy out myself. I'll be contacting Gary to get a holster for him. Taurus gets a lot of bad mouthing from some people, but so far every one that I have gotten has been fine shooting pistols.
    I have had good luck with every Taurus revolver I have ever owned, and bad luck with their autos. I had a Millenium Model, and a PT908 that had serious issues.

That being said, I think the issues were design flaws. Therefore, not something that I would worry about on the PT1911, sice John Browning designed it, they are just copying.

Taurus's metalurgy is said to be state of the art, and IMO, beyond faulty materials and soft metal, you really can't screw up a 1911. Fit and finish issues can be overlooked or fixed if need be.

Still, I have yet to read a negative review of a PT1911. I am going to have to have one, soon!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I've had one since February (got it BEFORE the price hike, for $499) and I'm very happy with it.

I have only ONE criticism of this gun, and I've seen plenty of others make the same observation. The finish is not very durable. It develops holster wear very quickly. Not a big problem for me, as I don't plan to sell it, and as long as it's mine, it'll be "unseen in the best places."

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I've had one since February (got it BEFORE the price hike, for $499) and I'm very happy with it.

I have only ONE criticism of this gun, and I've seen plenty of others make the same observation. The finish is not very durable. It develops holster wear very quickly. Not a big problem for me, as I don't plan to sell it, and as long as it's mine, it'll be "unseen in the best places."
    Thanks for that tip. We'll watch for any wear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links