Defensive Carry banner

Melted my M&P!

6K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  peacefuljeffrey 
#1 ·
Just finished stippling m 40c. Waddayathink?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like it would stick to your hand, but I'm not crazy about the trigger. I think it would be a little abrasive.

Otherwise, looks good.

#5 ·
I may make some changes, I'll see how everything feels on the next range trip.
I may smooth out the area under the trigger guard (pointed out by Jester on mp-pistol.com)where the middle finger rests. The trigger itself may get retouched also. Depends on how my hand feels after 100 rounds or so. Although I may deal with a little abrasion in the long sessions if it helps with the handling during draw-and-fire exercises.

#7 ·
How are people doing this?

#8 ·
I just used a cheap lower wattage soldering iron. I filed the tip to very fine point and practiced a good bit on my extra grip straps. The frame behaves a little differently than the grip straps and the kydex (mag sleeve) more so.
I drew out in pencil the boundaries for the striping on the frame and trigger guard.
On the grip I just used a random pattern and followed the boundaries already molded in.
The trigger was a little tricky. Just be careful not to hit the trigger guard when working on the trigger
I think some of the Gunsmiths who are doing this have made up shaped irons for their signature look.
Basically all you need is a steady hand and the willingness to scrap a $300.00 frame.:gah: The straps and trigger are cheap and easy to replace!

#10 · (Edited)
I'm wondering why that is needed? Is it for cosmetics or did the gun slide around in your hand? For myself, I think the M&P feels perfect in the hand and shoots wonderfully just the way they come from the factory.

#11 ·
Thats pretty cool man..I always wondered how that was done. I've seen pics of Glocks and XD's with that done and always thought it looked good.

#20 ·
another tool that may be a little easier to use ,other than a soldering iron, would be a wood burner. They are like using a fat marker and can be bought for about $10 at you local wally world. I think they fit the hand better and therefore are much more controllable.

I will say that you did an awsome job on that. It looks ver professional.

#21 ·
Nice clean work.

Did you take pics while doing the job? And why not? You know we all want to see them.

I have been thinking about doing this to my M&P9. Just haven't got up the gumption yet. I'll practice on my extra grips first.

#22 ·
I like it except for the areas referred to before. I wouldn't have done the spot just undr the trigger guard where your middle finger would rest and I don't think I would have done the trigger. I prefer a smooth trigger.

Other than that, I really like it, good job.

#23 ·
Nice job but I agree with the others about the trigger. I'll bet you'll be thinking of ways to smooth it out real quick. I had a grooved trigger on one of my guns that I took my Dremel to and smoothed it out. It made my finger VERY sore very quick. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't smooth out the trigger guard where it rubs on your middle finger too.

#24 ·
Re-work

Well, I hit the range today. After 200 rounds, the only thing that needs retouched is the trigger.
There is just one very sharp spot right at the tip that needs smoothed out.
I could feel the stippling under the trigger guard but it wasn't irritating at all.
All in all, I am extremely happy with the results. I don't think my grip could shift no matter how sweaty my hands get!:hand10::hand10:

#25 ·
the grip and mag/extension turned out really well. I like the patterns you did.

[sarcasm]
On a side note though... Why is your mag release on the wrong side??? :p
[/sarcasm off]

#30 ·
Oddly enough, the mag release is on the wrong side.
I switched it and removed quite a bit of material from the button to counter my mag drop problem. I am right handed but after firing in this configuration for a while now, I actually like it better than the original. My thumb no longer bumps the release while firing and I have no problem hitting it with my trigger finger for reload. This also helps keep me from being too quick on the trigger after a mag change.

As to the grip extension... I wasn't totally satisfied with it so I tried to carry the S&W grip pattern on to one...

(the white residue is from the teflon dry lube that I like to use on my frame components and trigger mechs)
Not the best pic but it looks better to me.

QKShooter said:
You absolutely need to pick a patterning style that you like ahead of time and then stick with it all the way through to the very end of the job.
You're 100% correct. The style is consistent throughout even though the actual pattern is totally random.

The trigger fix was no biggy, I just filed down a couple sharp points with a detailing file and alles klau!

#26 ·
It really takes some determined skill and practice to learn how to get a nice looking overall random type patterning.
There has to be a method to the madness. :hand5:
The bugs need to get all worked out ahead of time.

I know because I've done texture patterning on metal surfaces before.
It's a fine line between between having a job looked "messed up" and having a job turn out great looking.

You absolutely need to pick a patterning style that you like ahead of time and then stick with it all the way through to the very end of the job.

Real nice job...oh...I said that already. :king:

#28 ·
Pete... I understand. What one does to one's personal property in terms of personal preference and enjoyment is all well and good. I've customized most of the pistols, rifles, even shotguns that I own.

Simply because I don't see the need or desire for such stippling doesn't mean another can't enjoy or benefit from it. After making my post, I tried to delete it, but no-can-do. It should just be disregarded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.