Did you shoot it before you bought it?

This is a discussion on Did you shoot it before you bought it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have liked to when I purchased my first pistol, but there are no ranges that rent firearms around here so everytime I've had ...

View Poll Results: Did you shoot it before you bought it?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 9.28%
  • No

71 73.20%
  • I shot something close to it, but not the exact model or cal.

17 17.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you shoot it before you bought it?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I would have liked to when I purchased my first pistol, but there are no ranges that rent firearms around here so everytime I've had to take it on faith.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

I have gone both routs. I have bought guns that I have not fired before and I have bought guns that I had rented before hand.

I would say, if you can rent one, that is the way to go. It makes you feel better about the purchase. Good luck!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I haven't, but I would always recommend it. Several of my long guns were the "close" version, but no handguns.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I had to vote no. I carry a HK USPc & a Beretta 90-two. You will find, if you haven't already, most ranges do not rent the higher priced firearms - HKs, Berettas, Sigs, and 1911's. I researched the heck out of the HK and Beretta and found no reason to not purchase either. Took the leap of fate, and am very happy with both firearms. Good luck with your decision.

I answered yes because I did with the XD9sc I bought for my BUG, which was the last gun I just bought. But that hasn't always been the case.

My G-23 I didn't get a chance to shoot first. I bought because I didn't have a choice. For the sheriff's dept. we had to get a G-22 or a G-23.

Law Enforcment Supply didn't have any G-22's in stock except for one "ported" model which I did not want, and 6 week wait before getting any more so I went with the G-23. I had never shot a Glock before buying it, but I have been emensely happy ever since.

While I have shot plenty of 1911's, when buying my Colt Officers 3.5" barrel I had never shot a compact before. When buying my Para P-12 I had my Colt Officers to compare it with. Only difference was mag capacity on the Para.

I would say most guns I have bought without shooting first like my Ruger revolvers, FN FAL and other rifles, so I probably should have answered NO in the poll, but like I said, my most recent buy, the XD I did get to try one out in the same model and caliber.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No rental range in my area. For my next gun (Sig 239, 229, or 245), I am going to drive a couple hours away to a place that has a rental range and try one out.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

friesepferd, too bad you don't live a little closer. I would be glad to let you try any of my guns to see how you like them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links