Did you shoot it before you bought it?

This is a discussion on Did you shoot it before you bought it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most of you know, I cant seem to make up my mind as to what i want my first pistol to be. My main ...

View Poll Results: Did you shoot it before you bought it?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 9.28%
  • No

71 73.20%
  • I shot something close to it, but not the exact model or cal.

17 17.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As most of you know, I cant seem to make up my mind as to what i want my first pistol to be. My main problem is that I cant try them out!
    Just because it does or doesnt feel good in my hand doesnt mean i will or will not like how it shoots! There are local ranges around here that rent, but hardly anything im looking at is available for rent around here.
    So did you shoot your main carry piece or main range piece before you bought it or not?
    Also feel free to explain how you make up your mind and why and what not.

JD
    Administrator
    Not always, when it comes to 1911s it's pretty easy, they all pretty much feel the same, some shoot better than others, but if you know what to look for you'll be OK.

The only thing I really took a dare on was my Sig 220, I had very little experience with the 220 and the only one I had shot was an older non stainless slide model.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

I don't recall, what guns are you looking at?

I checked yes, since I rented my current carry gun (Glock 21) before I bought it. I took a chance first pistol (HK USPc).

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    As most of you know, I cant seem to make up my mind as to what i want my first pistol to be. My main problem is that I cant try them out!
    Just because it does or doesnt feel good in my hand doesnt mean i will or will not like how it shoots! There are local ranges around here that rent, but hardly anything im looking at is available for rent around here.
    So did you shoot your main carry piece or main range piece before you bought it or not?
    Also feel free to explain how you make up your mind and why and what not.

Friesepferd, check the member meeting place, NextlevelCell is trying to put togeather a shoot in your are IIRC.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27744

Maybe sometime you can meet up with someone that does have what you want to try it out.

My previous daily carry was a Sig P245, when I bought it, I had never shot any model Sig, but I was familiar with .45acp. So I bought it, and once I shot it...was impressed. Same thing with my present carry, never owned or shot a snubby prior to this one, but after shooting it...finally....I love it.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

oh just about everything thats around 3" barrel in around a 9mm. Something that isnt toooo tiny (like kahr or keltec). I shot the SA XD9sc and liked it a lot. im not a fan of glocks. I was really looking at the HK P2sk but im not sure what kinda action i want. I dont really like DAO, long hard triggers in general i just dont like. SA/DA is ok but i would like to be able to carry cocked and locked then b/c i just dont like that DA pull, which is why i like the xd. i was just lookin at the kimber aegis today which i like but 1911s feel kinda funny in my hand. i would really like to be able to shoot that one sometime.
    So i guess im still leaning toward the xd9sc but i wouldnt mine something a tiny bit smaller

Assistant Administrator
    All I had managed before getting my 226 ST was being able to handle a coupla SIG's - a 228 and a 220 - no shots fired but dry fired and field stripped.

The feel was such that I was pretty confident that it was very much what I wanted and was not disappointed. The 228 and 220 of mine followed on as natural progressions

With revo's I was happy to be able to check static - lock-up, timing etc and with Smiths in particular, having fired one in a sense I have fired them all - sorta! Bought a few things sight unseen but been lucky to have no disappointments.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I voted no.

I currently own 3 handguns, and didn't fire any of them (or even, anything similar) before purchasing.

Partially, this is because at the time I purchased my first one (a Glock 21 waaaaaay back when I first turned 21), the only range that rented guns, was run by a bunch of jerks, and I didn't want to give them any of my money. I'm considering getting a S&W M&P as my next gun (unless, the wife decides she likes shooting enough that she wants her own gun first), and for that one, I think I am going to try and find one to rent first.

I've done both, but usually I want the "new" gun when its out and there are none to rent. It's best to try first but not always possible.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I voted no, but all I shoot is a 1911 platform.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

I have been lucky enough to have a few friends and coworkers that let me borrow some different guns to try out.

It really helped me to narrow down what I liked and disliked.

The Glock 27 was my first Glock, but not my first pistol.
    I've never test fired any of them before buying.

Lead Moderator
    Nope , no place close has a rental gun range.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I'm always advising people to "try it before you buy it" but I'm really bad at following sound advise!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    I voted "close but no cigar" (not exactly in those words either).

When I started looking for my carry gun I put all prejudices aside and made a list of exactly what I wanted.

Thumb Safety
    Light Trigger Pull
    Caliber Above .380
    Night Sights...

etcetera...

Then I started to do my shopping. I read reviews and specs and debates and what not.

When my search led me back to the 1911 I knew I had everything I wanted. I also knew that even though I had never fired that particular gun, it would feel and operate like a 1911.

When I picked up my CDP, I didn't look at it for more than sixty seconds before I put down the money for it. Even though there were things I would eventually want to change, I knew I had that option with the gun I was buying. As long as it was reliable and consistent, everything else was "modifiable."

Even if you do end up picking up something that you find out you aren't that thrilled about, as long as you've taken care of it and know what you're doing you can trade it in for another gun or sell it yourself. You will loose some money, but it won't be a total loss.

I can't even say how many guns my poor husband has gone through. I think all he did in the first six months of our marriage was buy, sell and trade guns that he didn't like after buying them. Sometimes, it's part of figuring out what's perfect for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links