Need help with the gun lust....again.

This is a discussion on Need help with the gun lust....again. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting a new ccw. 9mm...and the choices are....(drum roll).... Rohrbaugh R9 or Sig P239 SAS I have handled the Sig and I fell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with the gun lust....again.

I am wanting a new ccw. 9mm...and the choices are....(drum roll)....

Rohrbaugh R9 or Sig P239 SAS

I have handled the Sig and I fell in love. The DAK trigger system makes it butter smooth with 7lbs pull. The gun its self is art work with the smooth edges and the grips. Downside is its not as small as I would like for a 9mm. It is going to be less expensive than the Rohrbaugh, but not much.

On the other hand, I am afraid if I order a Rohrbaugh sight unseen, I will get a pig in a poke(southern for would not like what I got).

The Rohrbaugh is supposed to be quality and should be for 1k. Not sure if its gun that would be more than a novelity after owning it a while.

Help me with this....probably goin make a decision by next week. Local dealer has the Sig. Would have to buy R9 on GA or Gunbroker.

What gun would you rather own and why? Thanks

VIP Member
    If you've never handled a gun it seems a bit silly to me to spend $1000 on one. Go with what you've examined yourself- and get to hell and back reliability.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

JD
    Administrator
    The R9 is more of a BUG or ultra deep concealment, for every day carry, I'd take the Sig.

Administrator
    No doubt about it, the Sig would be a better choice. Holsters are plentiful, its proven, its a Sig, it would be an easy sell if you should decide you dont like it.
    If you are attracted to the R9 because of its size, look at the Kahrs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

P239-got 2 already!

Easier to find mags/holsters/grips/triggers etc...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Echo Four.....I guess Col. North likes me. Semper Fi.....Nam 67-68

I really want to Sig...I just wish I knew someone who would chime in and say I have an R9 and its the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, Chris (P95Carry) has an R9. I'm sure a few others do as well but I knowChris could offer valuable input.
    Jack

JD
    Administrator
    P95 for sure, he's heavy in the R9 forum, I think QKShooter has one as well or atleast did. I'll point Chris in this direction.

The R9 looks pretty sweet for use as a BUG... Kind of pricey for a BUG in my opinion but I have heard a few good things about them.

Once again it's all about personal preference and likes... As far as I'm concerned if it's reliable, and goes bang everytime, then it's up to your personal tastes.

My BUG is the XD9sc with almost 3 times the capacity. But for a long time I used the SP-101 five shot .357

I like both of em.

With your choices, I would go with the Sig for a regular ccw piece and the R9 for a BUG for my tastes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

First handgun? Definitely the SIG P239.

Assistant Administrator
    Re the R9 - must admit my presence on the R Forum has been poor of late - just too busy but ..... I was in on the R9 from very early days and got an early one. Then added a second as the carry version, keeping the first somewhat for posterity!

It is an amazing pocket rocket but yes, as most folks know a very expensive item indeed. That is actually for good reason and certainly not profiteering - the investment in machines, tooling and development is and was enormous.

Mine is BUG mostly (very occasional primary) - it slips in pocket nicely or can reside in ankle rig. It is of course not as light as a KT but re the build quality it's apples and oranges. Loaded, 6+1 9mm std pressure - mine weighs in at just over a pound. Trigger is smooth-as-butter 7# and a delight.

There have been instances of folks not getting on with them - maybe limp wristing which that gun will not tolerate well and way back it was noticed that some bullet tumbling could occur (sl - but enough to make sl keyhole in paper). This is because to reduce pressure peak for safety there is a full 1/4" freebore and so bullet can ''launch'' a shade off its axis and engrave a touch asymmetrically.

I set up some time ago an R9 FAQ site, and altho it has not had much updating for some time does contain quite a lot of info and explanation of aspects.

A peek at that might help fill out the picture a bit. There is a link to Karl Rohrbaugh's video - shooting one.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

whw
    Hands down--- go with the Sig.

I'm happy with my P239. It conceals very well with IWB.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Sig or R9?

Thanks guys....it appears the Sig is going to be hard to pass on. Been doing research on the DAK trigger and very impressed with the reports. I have a Colt Pocket Nine that would do for a smaller ccw. That R9 may be in the future. Not a word of this to the wife

Yep, go for the Sig....as you can see from my screen name, I do love mine.

Even though I carry the G23 almost exclusively, I still love my P239. I do carry it occasionally, like tonight we went out and I just thought it was time for the Sig to get out of the safe a bit.

And you are right by the way. The SAS version of the 239 is a work of art.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links