Easy to conceal and under $450 - Page 3

Easy to conceal and under $450

This is a discussion on Easy to conceal and under $450 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a GLOCK man by nature, but any variation of the new S&W M&P is a very nice gun and would be a great ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easy to conceal and under $450

I am a GLOCK man by nature, but any variation of the new S&W M&P is a very nice gun and would be a great choice. Plus they are also making a subcompact.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I got a S&W 638 NIB a few months back for something like $350. It is easy to conceal. Although mastering it is taking me quite a bit of work.

I also have a Rossi 461 (Rossi is now owned by Taurus FWIW).

The Rossi is a 6 shot .357, and too big to pocket carry, although it can be worn on the belt. The finish isn't the best, but its not too bad. Shoots real nice though.

I think I'd go with the S&W, they do seem to set the bar when it comes to snub noses.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    I've always wondered why people suggest 38's so often. Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase a 357, so you have the option of 357 or 38?
    Cost and pocket carry. The pocket-capable magnums are very expensive, and most people can't handle them with magnum loads. The magnums you can actually shoot magnums in are a bit too big and heavy for pocket carry. If you are realistically limited to .38+p anyhow, an Airweight is hard to beat. I've got a smaller gun, I've got a more powerful, higher capacity gun, but I've got an Airweight in my pocket right now. Cost me $400 including sales tax, another few dollars for a Mika's pocket holster.

If you have to ask, an Airweight is likely the right answer.

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen View Post
    Cost and pocket carry. The pocket-capable magnums are very expensive, and most people can't handle them with magnum loads. The magnums you can actually shoot magnums in are a bit too big and heavy for pocket carry. If you are realistically limited to .38+p anyhow, an Airweight is hard to beat. I've got a smaller gun, I've got a more powerful, higher capacity gun, but I've got an Airweight in my pocket right now.
    Me, too! WELL SAID!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

P239 CPO $440 + $10 transfer fee
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Ruger Sp101 will fit within the budget, size and power range you mentioned.

Keltec also has several 9mm pistols that are easy to carry and function well for under $450.

Should be able to stay within your budget and even get a good holster with any of the above.

Glock 26 is also a good choice, should be able to find a decent used one for under $450. A new would be a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post

Keltec also has several 9mm pistols that are easy to carry and function well for under $450.
    I have one of those already, and the trigger bar in it broke after 780 or so rounds through it. That's why I am looking for something that screams "RELIABLE". And I beleive a good revolver says just that.

In the mean time I will be calling Kel-Tec to get a replacement part and then spend the rest of the week with out my carry piece while I wait for it's arrival.

So now the question is: Which S&W to get? 637, 638, or 642?? I will be looking to possible pocket carry and will carry it in my smart carry from time to time. I like being able to shoot SA, but that is only for the range and I'm unsure of the legal ramifications of using a SA in a SD shooting. (the court possibly saying that I negligently cocked the gun and caused an AD) Any opinions?
    Last edited by wht06rado; June 24th, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The bodyguard models (Don't know the exact models) & centennial models (442 & 642) are probably the best, because of their "more" snagfree design.

Personally, I use a 442 & prefer the DAO because of liability issues, but I'm in LE. If not, I'd probably go for the bodyguard because of its SA capability. In reality, you're just not going to have the time to cock the hammer back, especially on the bodyguard, because the hammer spur's so small.

I'd recommend the airweight models (aluminum allow & steel) vs the all-steel or scandium/titanium ones. They're light, not as horrible to shoot, & if you use +Ps, you won't run the risk of unseating your bullets.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

S&W M&Pc - 12+1 capacity, small size, under $400...

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

I prefer the 642. Simple, easy to conceal. The trigger pull smooths out nicely after a few hundred pulls. It is more accurate than many people think too.

<------------Is what I carry daily.

I just can't seem to make up my mind between the 638 and the 642. It would be nice to be able to cock it into SA. But it would never be used that way in a SD capacity, and that's what this gun is for. I guess if the price is pretty much the same I would rather be able to go SA for some fun from time to time at the range.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CW9

I've been looking for a .45 for carry, but I've admitted to myself that I can't afford to shoot one... went by the gun store the other day and they had a barely used Kahr CW9 for $399. I have never carried, but this gun's size was perfect. I will hopefully be its owner by next week.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

Another vote for the 642. I'm picking up a J-frame of my own as soon as my dealer can get the one I want in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    It would be nice to be able to cock it into SA. But it would never be used that way in a SD capacity, and that's what this gun is for.
    I can easily imagine a self-defense scenario where a well-aimed slow shot could be needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links