springfield Micro 1911s - Page 2

springfield Micro 1911s

This is a discussion on springfield Micro 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My personal experience, and of those with whom I have direct personal knowledge, is that 3" 1911s are indeed reliable and accurate. The key is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: springfield Micro 1911s

My personal experience, and of those with whom I have direct personal knowledge, is that 3" 1911s are indeed reliable and accurate. The key is having a quality firearm to begin with. I have a Kimber Ultra, as do several friends and acquaintances. I also know a couple of folks with Para Warthogs, and another with an SA.

I certainly wouldn't carry an unreliable weapon, nor would anyone else in their right mind.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, to answer the original poster's question, I'm not sure you'll find one for $500 or under. You "might" find one of the GI models in the $500 range.

I don't think you'll find any of the 1911 type guns with any extras for $500. Heck, I think even Taurus raised the prices on their 1911s so that they're not under $500 anymore.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

There's Lemons and there's LEMON TREES

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Here we go again! Try doing a search on the forum concerning Micro's and 3"1911's. You'll discover that the vast majority of 3"1911 users are very happy with their guns and do not experience the jamming and feed problems so many are convinced are endemic in the design. If it were true than why can't any dealers I know of keep one in the display cases. All I meet, in person and not stories on the internet, are happy users.

Every gun maker puts out a lemon now and then irregardless of design.
    Hey, ELCruisr! I'm not saying anything that's designed to sway YOU! I'm just reiterating my well known stance on this issue and providing some back up for that mindset. There are some forum members who also agree with me not to mention most of my IDPA Club...folks who tried twice to warn me from making the purchase and whom I ignored twice and never again. As far as I'm concerned they were right. There are a LOT of new folks here. Don't you think they deserve to hear ALL sides of the issue? That's what makes it an ISSUE after all, intead of a one sided agenda.

But there are enough cases on record and enough questions to make one thing twice about employing such a design in a dedicated CCW role. If you've considered all the factors and decide to stick by that; well, more power to you! Just don't try and run down the other side. OK?

For the record I sent my Springfield micro back to the factory on their dime several times. They replaced the extractor and fiddled with other stuff, but they couldn't rectify my situation....and actually I just couldn't trust the gun. So I got rid of it in a trade. I actually traded it (with full notification to the dealer as to it's troubles) + $100 for my current carry gun a Sig P245. Best deal I ever made in my life!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm not even getting into this argument. Carry what you want, I really couldn't care less. My point is, not everything is an internet "story" and some of us have been 1911 shooters long enough to know a little bit about them and where the potential problems with the design are. What Jim and I have posted was in direct response to the original poster's request for information so why you'd have a problem with that is beyond me.
    Jack

Not trying to have an argument! I'm just taking another viewpoint than the "never mess with St. Brownings design" side is all. Wouldn't that fall in the information category?

I've met IPSC shooters who like them, gun store managers, and gunsmiths who like them. I've also met those that don't. But the idea that was presented was ALL 3" 1911's are somehow inherently problem prone and undependable. Experience, and not just mine, says that any gun maker will have a problem now and then. Just presenting the other side of the coin.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Wink Don't mean to quibble...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Not trying to have an argument! I'm just taking another viewpoint than the "never mess with St. Brownings design" side is all. Wouldn't that fall in the information category?

I've met IPSC shooters who like them, gun store managers, and gunsmiths who like them. I've also met those that don't. But the idea that was presented was ALL 3" 1911's are somehow inherently problem prone and undependable. Experience, and not just mine, says that any gun maker will have a problem now and then. Just presenting the other side of the coin.
    Sure. That's fine. But the way you presented your arguments seem to be more bellicose and designed to ridicule the opposition. Example: If I have a 5 inch 1911 that is defective and can't be fixed then are ALL 1911s defective? You know what I'm speaking of here. You carry what you want. I'm with Jack. It's certainly not worth the effort to overcome assertions like the above.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well, my idea was not to ridicule and I apologize if that was how it was received. It seemed to me that others were saying that because they had a bad experience with them then all were bad.

I had a bad experience with a 5" model and yet I don't feel that they are all bad though because of it. Perhaps I was a bit forceful.

Pax
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I own a Springfield GI Micro-compact...wanna buy it? jam-o-matic is exactly right! I won't even shoot it anymore..no fun. It bites the web of yer thumb like crazy with the rear spur...you WILL bleed if you shoot it!
    It is pretty poorly balanced when worn IWB. It has been back to Springfield for its feeding and ejecting issues...no help. well maybe it got a lil better. It only jams 1 once on each clip instead of every other round!
    Go with a longer barrelled 1911 is my suggestion....1" longer is no big deal! I carry my fullsize with no issues so the Micro was a total waste of 500 of my dollars!

now a friend has the Kimber Ultra-carry (3" i believe) and has no issues with it at all.!! go figure!! but its a Kimber...hhhmmm
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Lightbulb That was my experience with Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    I own a Springfield GI Micro-compact...wanna buy it? jam-o-matic is exactly right! I won't even shoot it anymore..no fun. It has been back to Springfield for its feeding and ejecting issues...no help. well maybe it got a lil better. It only jams 1 once on each clip instead of every other round!

now a friend has the Kimber Ultra-carry (3" i believe) and has no issues with it at all.!! go figure!! but its a Kimber...hhhmmm
    My Springfield micro was EXACTLY like that. Jammed every other shot...double feeds....FTEs and FTFs. After it came back from the factory for the third time I was down to once a magazine. It never got better. Different parts of the mag, too! Sometimes the FIRST round wouldn't extract. Sometimes the last wouldn't feed and sometimes in the middle of the mag I'd get a double feed. That was when I traded it + $100 for my current Sig P245. I'll say it again: Best deal I ever made on a firearm.

But does this make ALL of them bad? NO. But I'll never trust my life to a sub four inch 1911. I don't want the worry. In comparison, I've NEVER had a Commander or a Gov't model go south on me. Those size 1911s...it would be a fluke, lemon whatever for it to constantly malfunction. Let's put it this way, if I were to pick up a random 1911 in the middle of a gunfight (firefight...whatever) I could be 99% certain it would go BANG everytime and especially the FIRST time. Whereas I'd put a micro or sub 4.25" 1911 at about a 30% chance things would go as planned.

I have two 3.5" 1911's. A Colt Officers and Par P-12. Both shoot great after probably 10,000 rounds in the Colt and 7,000 in the P-12.

I have replaced a guide spring and barrel link in the Colt and still shoots good out to 35-40 yards. Don't shoot them much anymore but still won't sell them either.

I think I've replaced firing pin spring on P-12 (it's been a while) and it's probably due for a new recoil spring.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Talking Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have two 3.5" 1911's. A Colt Officers and Par P-12. Both shoot great after probably 10,000 rounds in the Colt and 7,000 in the P-12.
    That's awesome for any firearm. IIRC the P12 has a 4.25" barrell? Maybe I'm thinking of the P13? Have you ever fired the Para LDAs?

If so, what did you think?

I'll throw in my $.02 worth. I have a Colt Officer's Model that has performed flawlessly until yesterday. It failed to feed the last round after shooting 27 rounds. After that I have lost confidence with it. It may just need a new mag, I don't know. I like carrying this gun, it is thin and comfortable, but I have never had a revolver not fire when I wanted it to. I am not comfortable depending on a gun for SD that I am not 100% sure of.

The bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I am not comfortable depending on a gun for SD that I am not 100% sure of.
    I think this is the bottom line for picking a self defense gun. You should be sure, based on your personal testing, that the individual gun you are using is proven reliable with your ammo. It doesn't matter so much what other guns of that general type have done in the past with other owners. What matters is your experience with your individual gun. If you have tested it thoroughly and it did well, then you can comfortably use it for defense purposes.

As for 1911s, which I like and use frequently, I believe that most of them work most of the time, if properly maintained. But I would still test one thoroughly, regardless of barrel length, before trusting it for defense. My personal experience with Colt and Kimber has been good, including 3,4 and 5 inch barrels. I have not owned the other brands.

My new micro

Came in today. Can't wait to get it to the range. A little clean and lube tonight should get it running smoothe for a range day tomorrow and some break-in rounds.
    Attached Images
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

SubMOA,

Love mine.... just a hint... polish the feed ramp! I did mine and it now feeds any hollowpoint ammo flawlessly.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links