springfield Micro 1911s

springfield Micro 1911s

This is a discussion on springfield Micro 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; another question for the collected intellects here. Thinking of maybe getting on eof the newer Springfield 1911 micro pistols. The 3 inch barreled ones. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

springfield Micro 1911s

another question for the collected intellects here. Thinking of maybe getting on eof the newer Springfield 1911 micro pistols. The 3 inch barreled ones. I know they are a reasonably new release. anyone have one? I know to expect a little less accuracy due to the shorter barrell but with enough practice I htink I can compensate. anyone have any experience with one?
    Finally is $500 too much to pay for a new one. It does not seem to be out of the way.

Thanks again in advance.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Depends on what you're looking at. A micro compact .45 GI spec is $489 on gunsamerica. If it's anything beyond that (loaded, v10, etc.), or one of the new compact frame EMPs, then it's easily worth the $500. I personally have no firsthand experience with the guns, so I'll leave that part of your question for someone else.

I liked my 3.5" mil-spec version. Some people warned me about feeding problems, but it cycled FMJ and JHP without problems. Can't comment on the 3" models.

I've been kind of watching for them - haven't seen them locally for a while. Last 3.5" Springfield I saw was my own - a dealer made a nice deal with me for it, planning on carrying it himself (and did, for a month or so), then got an offer from another customer he couldn't resist - now we're BOTH looking for replacements.

If you run into a new 3.5" Mil-Spec, let me know.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

I thought the EMPs were going for around $1k?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

i heard around $700. the kimber aegis is more around $1k

If you find an SA 9mm EMP for 500.00 call me, tell me where it is and when I buy it you can come over and look at it This is going to be my next purchase but I will have to be disciplined and put it on lay away..... I have found that most available are going for high 8 into the 9 hundreds.

I have the light weight BiTone Micro Compact Operator and it is a sweet pistol no feeding problems with any thing and accuracy does not suffer if you do your job of holding it still and if you can get one for 500.00 I want another one because mine was 1000.00 + my only complaint is the smooth front strap, under double taps or quick follow ups it will move around in my hand but I think I have that solved with a pair of Pachmyar wrap around grips.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Most everybody here who's been here awhile knows my opinion of 1911s with a barrel shorter than 4.25 inches. I've own two of different brands (ParaOrd and Springfield Armory) and both were total JAM-A-MATICS. Every example of both of those brands I've ever fired (from my IDPA club) reacted in exactly the same way and reacted that way with other people shooting them on the same day....to the extent that some of the club members won't let me NEAR their guns (I've heard the word jinx mumbled under their breath).

But I'm not alone. The late Jeff Cooper and I exchanged a series of letters on this very topic and he even made it a portion of his Guns and Ammo column about a year before his passing. He had OTHER reports of failure from around the country on a scale that seemed to suggest that when barrel lengths shrink below 4.25 inches the 1911 design becomes inherently unreliable. He closed by saying HE personally would never purchase one or own one unless it was given as a gift.

For ME and me alone a carry gun has to be 100% reliable (allowing for a short break-in period -- never needed on my H&K USP) and moreover, there must not be a conglomerate of such reports of failure! Even if you own one and it's NEVER failed, the fact that there are so many reports of failure should give you pause when considering the mission: Defending your life and the lives of those you love! JMHO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    ... there must not be a conglomerate of such reports of failure! Even if you own one and it's NEVER failed, the fact that there are so many reports of failure should give you pause when considering the mission: Defending your life and the lives of those you love!
    And that's why I've not ever purchased one. So tempting, in size and ergonomics. But, reports of jams over the years combined with the small capacity simply kills it, for me. I'd like nothing more than an EMP 9mm that sold 1M copies a year, had a 10Krd MTBF and saw few reported incidents of failure. The carry weapon is what I'm betting my life on, so until then I'll "make do" with the CZ P01.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I own a Springfield Champion , and a SIG P245.
    Both are perfectly reliable , both have 4" barrels.

I will not buy a .45 auto with a shorter barrel - not because of
    function issues , but because the small difference in length does
    NOT make up for the loss of velocity and energy.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Wink Sig is different...

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I own a Springfield Champion , and a SIG P245.
    Both are perfectly reliable , both have 4" barrels.
    I have a Sig P245 and it's my primary carry weapon (in cooler weather or on vacation) and it's always been 100% reliable. BUT it's NOT a 1911 design.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lightbulb Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I will not buy a .45 auto with a shorter barrel - not because of function issues , but because the small difference in length does NOT make up for the loss of velocity and energy.
    This is exactly why I have a M642 Smith in .38+p and not a .357 snubbie!

Here we go again! Try doing a search on the forum concerning Micro's and 3"1911's. You'll discover that the vast majority of 3"1911 users are very happy with their guns and do not experience the jamming and feed problems so many are convinced are endemic in the design. If it were true than why can't any dealers I know of keep one in the display cases. All I meet, in person and not stories on the internet, are happy users.

Every gun maker puts out a lemon now and then irregardless of design.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I briefly owned a SA ultra compact (3.5" barrel). Too unreliable for me so it was traded in on something else. No internet stories here, just first hand experience same as Jim's. I'm not likely to throw any more of my money down on anything less than 4" barrels when it comes to 1911s.
    Jack

Ok, so I once owned a 5" 1911 that no one was ever able to make reliable. It was a Para so does that mean that all 5" 1911's are unreliable or are all Para's unreliable?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links