Took the Sig out, left the Glock at home tonight

This is a discussion on Took the Sig out, left the Glock at home tonight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and kids talked me into going to the mall tonight....if you knew me you'd know what a monumental task that is since I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife and kids talked me into going to the mall tonight....if you knew me you'd know what a monumental task that is since I really, really, really hate the mall.

As we were getting ready I went to the safe and started to pull the G23 out as I usually do but I caught sight of my beloved Sig P239 in 9mm sitting there in the safe, looking lonely and sad at again being passed over for the polymer wonder gun. So, I decided that tonight the Sig would go out with me instead of the Glock. Now, the Glock was cool with that. It's personality is able to handle being left behind. It knows it is a functional gun, made to work hard and not to look pretty.

So, off we went to the mall, or what I like to call as jackass convention. And I was once again proven completely right in my assumptions. God I hate the mall. I hate the mall with the white hot intensity of a thousand Suns. There were Goth freaks, something my daughter tells me is called a Emo, also freaks, jerks in every size shape and color, screaming kids, loud cell phone talkers, people I could tell were looking for easy marks for whatever scam they were trying to pull....all manner of people that make me want to build a cabin on top of a mountain in Idaho.

We ate at the food court, another gathering place for the dregs of the human race.
    While we ate there, me with my back to the wall as usual, I heard a loud bang/pop! My wife and I both spun our heads toward the sound thinking it might be a slightly muffled gun shot. I looked at my wife and her hand was inside her cover garment and on the grip of her XD. I was proud of her and at the same time wondered why I had not done the same thing when I realized that the Sig was in my hand, partly out of the holster but still under my cover garment and below table level. I swear I don't even recall dropping my sandwich from Subway and reaching for the gun. And I was amazed that as fast as it all happened my mind was able to process the sound as a possible threat, drop the sandwich, reach inside the cover garment, start to draw, but realize that it was in fact one of the Goth freaks popping a plastic bag and stop the draw process before the gun made it to the point of being seen by anyone else. (maybe I'm a little too jumpy, I don't know)

It's amazing how fast the mind works and how automatically it works as well.

We are home now and as I write this, the Sig is back in place in the safe and the G23 is on my right hip where it can usually be found.

And, since I went to the mall tonight, I think that fills my mall visiting obligation for the next few years. Maybe longer.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like good reflexes to me. And you were still able to keep from alarming all the sheeples by the sight of that beautiful, sexy, well-built piece of machinery called a Sig 239 you had.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

VIP Member
    I hate the mall too. They don't even sell ammo.
    I'd hope my reflexes were that sharp too and would hope no one noticed.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'll be glad to carry that P239 around for you......

I hate the mall too, but I got a prissy wife that loves to shop and I don't want her to go by herself. Like the real Doc Holliday, I always pack two guns for the outing.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

See there, Sig...

Your P239 knew you needed it, and jumped right into your hand....

Yep, two guns here as well... All our indoor malls are in the cities, well away from where I live and I'm always packing at least two heaters when in the city. Now that I got the XD it's usually the G-23 and XD9sc with 72 rounds of ammo when I go to the city. Plus the wife with the SP-101 and 15 rounds of +P's

Honest, I'm not Paranoid, but damn it, if I ever find myself in the middle of a "Juneteenth" mob situation, I'm thinking I should be able to handle myself until I can escape the situation.

Down in the rural area where I live it's the strip malls where each store empties into the parking lot. They are more tolerable!
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 24th, 2007 at 02:30 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

See now I have a similar view of the mall, but I do so love the food court. For one, good food. Lots of options. Not TERRIBLY expensive. And at least at my mall, it serves as a common point of travel for all the hot-looking womenfolk, jailbait though they sometimes are.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Sounds like you've trained you and your wife really well.

This being the state capitol we get every school in the state that comes in for every competition you can think of. So during the school year it is packed with kids (enough that I would love to defund public education).

The only good thing about our big mall is Scheels just added on and will even have an indoor archery range.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Sigs do tend to get a little jealous sometimes. I took my 220 to Galveston today and when I got home I put it to bed, then my boys. After everyone was situated I told the wife I was going out for a bit and took my old faithful 226 to the movies!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239
    And, since I went to the mall tonight, I think that fills my mall visiting obligation for the next few years. Maybe longer.....
    I'm with you on this. I can't remember the last time I was in one.

Evolution of the mall

The big indoor shopping malls have become like the Main Street of a town was 50 years ago. Half of those walking around are not really shoppers, but rather young people looking for an excuse to get out of their house and walk around and socialize.

Many of the people are adult females, who view shopping as a form of recreation rather than as a necessary duty when a new item is needed. They are content to spend hours fondling merchandise without buying anything, and like the concentration of stores in a small area.

Men, on the other hand, generally view shopping as a chore to be accomplished as quickly as possible. They go into a store with a fairly clear picture of what they want, and take pride in getting it quickly so they can leave the store.

It is not hard to understand why so many men, like the poster, view malls as places to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Sounds like you've trained you and your wife really well.
    Well Dakota, I was very proud to see that it wasn't just me and the wife. We had all 5 kids with us and each one of them ducked when we heard the pop. I guess all the range time we have put in with all of them made a good impression.
    One of the 5 year old Twins, Scotty, seemed to be missing when I looked around. I felt a momentary twinge of panic set in and then his head came back up from under the table. He asked if everything was OK and then asked me if that was a gun. Dad was pretty proud I'll tell you that!

Over all, everyone reacted in a way that we were happy with. My kids seem to have pretty good situational awareness for their ages.....as long as they aren't playing a video game or something that is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

BAC
    Just be glad you don't work in them. I did mall retail for just shy of two years. Out of that and into the restaurant gig, but I might end up back at the mall for a second job working as security (and being the most fit there... sadly...).

Hate malls too. :(

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I hate the mall with the white hot intensity of a thousand Suns. .....
    LOL...And I thought I hated the Mall.

My wife LOVES to shop but abhors shopping crowds. So I never have to go to "the" mall, but I'm gonna have to put a parental block on the HSN and QVC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links