Which one for BUG? - Page 2

Which one for BUG?

This is a discussion on Which one for BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah the more I think about it the more I lean towards the J-Frames. My hardest decision is which one to get. I am a ...

View Poll Results: Which for a BUG

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 340

28 34.15%
  • S&W 360

16 19.51%
  • Kahr MK9 Elite

38 46.34%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one for BUG?

Yeah the more I think about it the more I lean towards the J-Frames. My hardest decision is which one to get. I am a big fan of semi-autos, but I am tired of spending money trying to find a reliable one that I like and now I have to abide by an approved list. Plus I will be carrying a gun off-duty than my wife will know how to operate with confidence should the need ever arise.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

While I've owned several flawless PM9s, I've heard enough complaints to know that they are more likely to need a factory "tweak" than other models. I know literally dozens of people who own Mk9s, and have NEVER heard any of them complain about any reliability issues.

For my money, I'd take the Kahr, with it's VASTLY improved shootability (better trigger, better sights, much less recoil), increased capacity, and similar (if not better) terminal ballistics (compared to any 38 +P)

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

...of your choices, either S&W...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exclamation My Fav

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Yeah the more I think about it the more I lean towards the J-Frames. My hardest decision is which one to get.
    I carry a S&W M642 airweight in my right front pocket using forum member Robert Mika's pocket holster. For hot & muggy Miami FL in the summertime, it can't be beat! I keep an HKS "speedloader" in the mag/cell pocket of my Woolrich tacticals or 5*11s whichever I'm wearing that day.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My vote's for the M&P 340. I owned one and really did like it. The only reason I sold it was because I wanted to consolidate my guns into one caliber only.

Though the recoil is greater in the lighter weight frames, I would go with the 340, unless you plan to shroud the hammer of the 360.

Neither of them are going to be terribly fun to shoot, but would serve your needs as you described. A few rounds through them wouldn't be bad, but I can't see a prolonged range session with them.

The Kahr's have not ever really done much for me, and from owner reports, not a very shining gun in my opinion.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Rohrbaugh R9

You will not go wrong with this one.
    A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

I own both a Kahr MK9 Elite and a S&W 642. The way I see it, the Kahr has the advantage of more rounds, and easier reloading (a loaded magazine). The 642 has the advantage of being capable of firing from concealment.

If I were carrying both of them, which would be the primary, and which would be the back-up? Depends on the situation, I guess. An obviously real threat would call for maxium rounds (the auto). A potential threat in close proximity that could instantly become a real threat would call for the ability of firing from concealment.

arjuna70 I really want the Rohrbaugh R9. If it is on the approved list it will be what I get. But in all likelyhood I will have to go with a more mainstream weapon.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Most agencies dictate, to some degree, what you can & can't carry. But chances are, the choices have probably proved to be very reliable & liability safe weapons.

You really can't go wrong with a J-frame.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Is the Taurus 850Ti CIA on the list? Quality light gun, 38+p. DAO, but nothing to catch on clothing.
    850shc
    Price is lots lower then MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    J-frame of some sort.
    Thats the one.

I voted for the 340 because of the choices that you listed. I carry a 640 in a vest holster as a BUG. I carry it cross draw so that I can draw with my weak hand in case my strong hand is retaining my G23 from an attempted grab.

I'm not a fan of the IL.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Why not a SIG P239?

Too big. And if I were going that size I'd go with a 220 Compact or 245 b/c they will take the same mags as my duty weapon (Sig 220).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links