Which one for BUG?

This is a discussion on Which one for BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't like polymer framed guns and I need to pick a good BUG for on duty use and off duty use when I don't ...

View Poll Results: Which for a BUG

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 340

28 34.15%
  • S&W 360

16 19.51%
  • Kahr MK9 Elite

38 46.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one for BUG?

Which one for BUG?

I don't like polymer framed guns and I need to pick a good BUG for on duty use and off duty use when I don't want to/can't carry my Sig 220. The catch is it has to be on the authorized weapons list. If the Rohrbaughs are not allow (and that is very likely) my other options are an airweight S&W 357 Mag. The Models are the 340 or 360 and I like the newest models with the stainless steel cyclinders and yet they still weigh 13.3oz unloaded. I will likely carry 38spl +P in it

The other choice is a Kahr MK9. It is heavier, but holds 2 more rounds and is +P+ capable. Although the entire Kahr line has much worse reputation than the S&W wheelgun line. And being a sub-compact semi it is far more likely to have a failure than the S&W.

Also I plan on buying a S&W Model 60 for the wifey because she can't rack the slide on any auto so the J-frame will have the same manual of arms. Also I don't like polymer framed guns so no suggestions for Kel-Tecs, poly Kahrs, baby Glocks ect please.
    Last edited by '75scout; June 24th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

I'd go for the Airweight. I long ago became convinced that the revolver is more dependable than the semi-auto pistol. I'm really familiar with one Kahr Mk 9 and it hasn't held up all that well. That may not be indicative of a thing but I'm put off by it. That's too much money to spend on a pistol to have the slide repeatedly peen the back of the barrel.

I did get a KelTec P3AT in order to try it out but I'm with you on the polymer-framed pistols.

I had the 340 - sold it. I'll get a S&W 649 next (really hated that DAO trigger on the internal hammer J-frame - too heavy of a pull; not too fond of exposed hammers that can catch while presenting from a pocket - so a shrouded hammer will be next; the Scandium gun's recoil was just too uncomfortable to fire - probably because of the lack of weight the gun had).

Oh I have shot a 340 and man was the recoil stout. But as it primarily designated as a last ditch weapon and not many of the guns that size are fun to shoot, I don't think that should exclude the airweights from my list. I can stand recoil, just so long as I can have a chance at a decent trigger. Thats why I voted for the 360 as it has the exposed hammer. I had a Kahr PM40 for a while and it was no slouch in the recoil department either, but a 20% FTF rate means it went the way of the Do-Do.

bae
    J-frame of some sort.

Sounds like you should go with the airweight although they are no fun to shoot.

I like my Ruger SP-101's better than any airweight I've shot, but that's because of the nice grips that are standard and an all steel frame which helps tame the recoil.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yep I like the Sp101s, especially the ones worked over by Gemini. Although they are a little heavy for my needs.

Airweight>Kahr
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Just a question out of curiosity, why would you get a .357 J-frame if you expected to load it with .38 +p?

The .357's are more expensive, and they have a longer cylinder, making the weapon longer, and harder to pocket carry (if that is of concern to you.)

I like the shrouded hammer models, like the 638 I have. Odds if I ever had to use it it would all be fired DA, but its nice to have the option.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd go for the revolver. You really can't beat them for a BUG, especially on-duty. I carried a 442 for yrs. when I was in patrol. When the SHTF, you can't beat them.

The problem with the MK9 is they're so heavy. They're nice & relible, but then again, I haven't had a problem with my PM9 either.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Just a question out of curiosity, why would you get a .357 J-frame if you expected to load it with .38 +p?

The .357's are more expensive, and they have a longer cylinder, making the weapon longer, and harder to pocket carry (if that is of concern to you.)

I like the shrouded hammer models, like the 638 I have. Odds if I ever had to use it it would all be fired DA, but its nice to have the option.
    I was looking at the weight difference; the 649 is 23oz and the 340s are in the 13-14oz range - I figure the more mass, the better the recoil will feel on your hand? (wich translates into more range time to be more proficient?)

As far as the lenght, its just 1/4" difference from most models. I think I can live with that.

Administrator
    For an exclusive back up belly button gun for last ditch use and "carry a lot shoot a little" I'd go buy the 340 and wouldn't look back.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd definitely go with the revolver. The nature of a BUG is that you are unlikely to need a high volume of ammunition, but when you need it, you REALLY need it, and you need reliable feeding. By the time you've gotten to the stage where you need to pull a BUG...well, I would trade a few extra rounds for significantly better reliability and simplicity of operation.

My reason for picking the airweight 357 mags is because if I feel I can handle the 357 I have the option. Plus it is lighter than the 38 only J-Frames. Weight and reliability are my 2 biggest concerns. I'm not saying I won't practice with the gun I choose, but I will spend significantly more time with my primary (Sig 220). So felt recoil is of less concern.

Well, sounds like it's well thought out. There is a couple ounces difference between them.

Never shot a .357 out of a S&W snubby, but I imagine it would be rather stout in the recoil dept. (My .357 snubby is much heavier than 13 ounces, and it kicks a fair bit).

O yeah, and my overall vote was for one of the J-frames. For a BUG belly gun I'd definately go for a DAO or shrouded hammer model though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links