Taurus PT-800 series Vs. Beretta PX4 Storm.

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-800 series Vs. Beretta PX4 Storm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I have considered up grading my Taurus PT-24/7 because of a few feature problems. Don't get me wrong its a nice shooter and is ...

Recently I have considered up grading my Taurus PT-24/7 because of a few feature problems. Don't get me wrong its a nice shooter and is very ergonomic. The problems I have are having to pry the take down lever out with a spent casing and then hammer it back in, and the "user replaceable sights"(with what?). When I originally bough it the market only had internal strikers(for Tupperware). Now there are some better choices soon to be out, so here are my current considerations.

Beretta PX4 storm 45 (out later this year)
    http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...rmpistol45.cfm

Pros
    Replaceable back strap and mag release.
    Rotating barrel
    Integrated Take down lever.
    over all sleek styling and ergonomics.
    10+1 round mags may have an addition +2 extension later.
    External hammer.
    dovetail sights.

Cons
    Cannot operate the safety/decocking lever with my primary hand. You have to reach over the top with your support hand to operate it.
    ~$620

Taurus PT-800 series (only 9mm now)
    http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/pistols.cfm

Pros
    Integrated Take down lever.
    over all sleek styling and ergonomics.
    External hammer
    Round chambered indicator. (not needed but nice anyway)
    dovetail sights.
    safety/decocking lever is in-between the slide and frame and is ambidextrous (you could work it with either your thumb or index finger. (looks like from picture)
    12+1 mag(.45)? 24/7 mags?
    ~$500

Cons
    No customization. (nor really necessary)
    No rotating barrel.
    mag release is not very ergonomic. (looks awkward)
    No current plans for a .45 version??????
    Front serrations on slide.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I know what you mean about the 24/7, my brother has a .40cal one and he asked me to show him how to clean it after he bought it. I have a PT145Pro, so it's supoosed to be the same,...nope. Darn takedown pin is hard as nails to get back in, but it is a nice shooter. Have you thought about the polymer Sig, http://www.sigarms.com/Products/Show...&productid=121. ?

Administrator
    With those choices, I think you are jumping out of the pan and into the fire. Both are quirky guns that have odd designs that I'm sure you will find fault with soon enough.
    If you must choose between only those two, I would go with the Beretta.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Naw I'm just considering them as they won't be out for quite some time. The only disqualification for the beretta is the lever placement (very high up). The taurus isn't that far from what I have and like somewhat. It just seems to be an improvement. Its like the millenium and 24/7 were smashed together.

I'll have to see what I think of it when it finally gets in the stores. I've only handled the storm (9mm) in the store and the lever placement really bugged me.

I wonder if a Comp-tac C-T.A.C. holster for the 24/7 would fit the PT-800 looks like they will stick to the general design of the 24/7 frame.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

May I ask why you are not considering the Glock in either 9mm (26, 19 or 17) or .40 cal (27, 23 and 22) as the Glock is time tested and completely proven. They are not quirky and take down is a snap.

Also, there are thousands of after market parts on the market for the Glock and there are always hundreds more being introduced every month.

Cost is slightly more than the Taurus but less than the Beretta.

Keep in mind, the newer Taurus guns do not exactly have a stellar track records and While I own several Taurus guns I trust with my life, they are older, I have owned them for a long, long time and they have thousands of rounds through them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If you choose the Beretta, go to http://www.tacticalsolutionsgroup.co...asp?prodid=344 and you can get one for $420 plus your FFL charges.

My glocks have been $489.

Until October, the C model (Constant action), is not available to non-LEO.

IMHO Blocks are the ugliest things man has ever created (that and the Scion). Other then that they are perfectly fine reliable firearms. Anyway I have never had a problem with my 24/7 on the firing line. They just needed a few tweaks. Just don't expect any customer support till something breaks. The hold on my decision is the lack of .45 in either right now (yep I'm a .45 guy). Guess ill have to continue with my 24/7 for now.

Unless they changed the design for the 45 model, the Px4 has an amibdextrous safety. So, you could indeed get it with your operating hand.

I have the 9mm version and it's a good pistol. The rotating barrel design does indeed reduce recoil as well. It's easy to field strip, similar to a Glock. And for what it's worth, it has 5000 or so rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

PX4

First, let me start by saying I am particularly fond of Beretta guns. I have a PX4 in 9mm and would highly recommend it. The safety is ambidextrous so it should fit your needs.

The best part is the rotating barrel system which is in the Cougar series and in the full size PX4. The perceived recoil is much lower as more of the force is directed straight back. This really shines in the .45ACP round and you can get an idea by shooting the Cougar 8045. The new Sub-Compact PX4 9mm or 40S&W will have the tilting barrel design; a major error in my humble opinion.

All that being said, the PX4 .45ACP was supposed to come out by the end of this summer, now the fall,......who knows.

My major criticism of Beretta, they get people all hyped up and then fumble on the delivery. If you can wait, go PX4. Check out the Beretta Forum for lots more info.

http://www.berettaforum.net/
    A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

if you search you will see my posts on the PX4. Although a good gun, I have had problems. Superluminova paint falling off after one range session. The brunition finish wearing off after 10 - 20 re-holstering in kydex. The G (Decocker only), F (decocker/safety), D (Double action only) are available to civilians. The C (constant trigger) is not availale to civilians until October. That is crazy of Beretta to dis-allow non-leo non-mil to buy the C models. It is their policy.

I would like to trade my G model for a C model or wait until October and buy a C model.

I will agree with that, the finish on mine is pretty bad too. I have one of the early models though, so it could be fixed by now.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

A friend purchased a 9mm PX4 last summer and I found myself impressed with it. I've been able to shoot it on a number of outings. I've had more experience shooting others' Glocks over the years though. I'd choose the PX4 over the Glock because I like it's trigger and external dimensions much better than any Glock I've shot.

Links