Glock Slide Release Question - Page 4

Glock Slide Release Question

This is a discussion on Glock Slide Release Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hate to add more fuel to the fire.. but I was taught a different way than using the slide stop, or slingshotting. I was taught ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Glock Slide Release Question

Hate to add more fuel to the fire.. but I was taught a different way than using the slide stop, or slingshotting. I was taught not to slingshot (thumb and pointer) Grab the slide with palm on one side, fingers on the other, stay out of the ejection port or it'll hurt, pull back swiftly, and release. Also, as part of practice to slap my shoulder after I released.

The reason I was told this is better, is that you have less motion in your hand that is holding the weapon. If you slingshot slowly, and pay attention the weapon has to angle off your target or wherever it is currently pointing to slingshot. Not so much with the "slap rack" as I will call it.

IE: If you are right handed, begin your slingshot technique with your (unloaded) weapon pointing straight in front of you. You will notice that you usually have to point the weapon to the right even more, to properly grab the slide from the back using the slingshot technique. (lefties go left with it)With palm on one side, and fingers on the other, you can keep your weapon pointed straight, instead of veering off to one side.

This was taught to me in a Randy Cain handgun 101 class, and it makes sense to me, so I try to remember to do it as much as possible. Before I was taught that, I was also guilty of releasing using the slide stop lever.

To each his own, just thought I would add something additional.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member
    I've always considered that particular part a "slide lock" NOT a "slide release" because the proper way to chamber a round is to draw the slide to the rear and then release it.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Hate to add more fuel to the fire.. but I was taught a different way than using the slide stop, or slingshotting. I was told not to slingshot (thumb and pointer) I was told to grab the slide with palm on one side, fingers on the other, stay out of the ejection port or it'll hurt, pull back swiftly, and release. I was also told as part of practice to slap my shoulder after I released.
    +1!

That's how I do it. I don't go all the way to a shoulder slap, but I do keep moving my hand back after it pops off the slide, so I don't ride it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus111 View Post
    Well I went back and re read what you had previously posted. I mace have made a snap decision. So I am swallowing MY pride and apologizing. You stay safe also.
    O dam it was just getting good!
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Five pages of this thread.. I am surprised no one mentioned the way I do it before post #46
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Sponsor
    Interesting thread and posted thoughts.

I used to soley use the slide release on my 1911's under stress of matches [ whatever thats worth ], just bangin around, whatever.

I also used the method floridaguy911 was shown in Randy's class. Used that method for some dozen or more years on every other gun except the 1911's until -------------till this happened due to the desire of getting the gun back into operation due to mag malf. now/right now/asap.

I grabbed the sig 228's slide low toward the muzzle in haste to pull it back and get back into battery. Then another Mr. Murphy showed up and when I released the slide my hand followed it [ not restraining the slide or touching it ], and then another Mr. Murphy showed up-----just my luck, three of them.

This Murphy had my finger already on the trigger by the time this happened and the gun fired 4 feet in front of me as soon it went into battery.

The outside edge of my palm, near the little finger got a nasty powder burn, embedding unburnt Winchester 231 powder particles into an areas about the size of a dime.

I didn't miss a beat on the upswing back onto the plates, and finished with a poor time for that type of match in that string. S happens.

Lessons learned from a direct encounter with Mr. Murphy using that method?

If it can happen it will, and I had probably made that type of malf clearance automatically at least several hundreds of times over 15+ years, including when just bangin around and not under self imposed stresses.

I now use the slingshot method, and have since that day on all my handheld weapons. I fall back ocassionally, but I catch myself every time. It is caught immediately because I clearly remember what DID happen, and could again under the gun [ sorta speak ]

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Hate to add more fuel to the fire.. but I was taught a different way than using the slide stop, or slingshotting. I was taught not to slingshot (thumb and pointer) Grab the slide with palm on one side, fingers on the other, stay out of the ejection port or it'll hurt, pull back swiftly, and release. Also, as part of practice to slap my shoulder after I released.

I once made a mistake and referred to this as a slingshot method, but this is the way that I use.

Its a good technique. One of the major advantages with it is if you have a crittical malfunction, like a shell casing cracked and stuck in the chamber, you are in a much better position to use your strength to clear it. While malfunctions that really bind the action up are rare (hopefully) occaisionally they do happen and murphy loves to pick some bad times.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links