Glock Slide Release Question

This is a discussion on Glock Slide Release Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got a G36. Need some advise from you glock owners on a remidy. The slide release on my glock is rediculously hard to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Slide Release Question

Glock Slide Release Question

I recently got a G36. Need some advise from you glock owners on a remidy. The slide release on my glock is rediculously hard to push down. I can do it, but it takes way too much force. Suggestions?
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

2. Remove Ads

Don't use the slide release. Using the slide release is a fine motor skill, the kind of thing that goes out the window when the adrenaline starts pumping. Releasing the slide by pulling back on it is a gross motor movement, and will be much more reliable in a stressful situation.

understood, but I'd still like it to work better.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

buy the extended slide release. Mine was great.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    buy the extended slide release. Mine was great.
    All the ones I can find say "fits every glock model except the 36" so, what now? Do they make one for this model?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Glock's slide release tend to be hard to push down & it's probably due to the design (There's not much to push down on).

As mentioned, an aftermarket extended one will work better. It'll also get better over time, too.

I know you want to be able to use it, but I know I've always been told Glocks load better when you pull back on the slide. In fact, the only gun I know where you SHOULD use the slide release, are the Kahrs.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

ouch... nevermind. If you are comfortable with metalwork, some deburring/polishing of the face of the slide release lever might be in order.

If you aren't comfortable with it, take it to a gunsmith you trust to do some filing on it.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Don't use the slide release. Using the slide release is a fine motor skill, the kind of thing that goes out the window when the adrenaline starts pumping. Releasing the slide by pulling back on it is a gross motor movement, and will be much more reliable in a stressful situation.
    So how are you going to work the mag release and drop the mag in the first place?

Sarcasm On.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    So how are you going to work the mag release and drop the mag in the first place?
    Sarcasm Off.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    For magazine releases, there is no more gross motor equivalent available, so I use the mag release. For slide releases there is, so I release by pulling back on the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    ouch... nevermind. If you are comfortable with metalwork, some deburring/polishing of the face of the slide release lever might be in order.

If you aren't comfortable with it, take it to a gunsmith you trust to do some filing on it.
    I know...Ouch. Don't know why they don't make one. I guess I'll just deal with it. I don't really see the need for the release, but wanted the option. Thanks guys. PA

Administrator

Aro-Tek Makes one

They are the only folks that make one for the Glock 36.
    They have Chrome & Blue/Black
    It's a quality part.

You cannot use any other slide stop/release intended for any other model # of Glock handgun.

You'll find it here.
    http://www.arotek.com/default.aspx

Warning their web site sucks and the last time I checked they did not have secure ordering so phone your order in with a credit card.

The big problem with them was that originally you had to install the Glock original spring into it and that could have caused problems (with unbending and then rebending the tab) but, that has been solved because they now come w/ the spring pre-installed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

SCHWEEEEET!!!! Purchased... FYI- they do have a secure checkout now.

It Is Not A Slide Release!

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    I recently got a G36. Need some advice from you glock owners on a remidy. The slide release on my glock is rediculously hard to push down. I can do it, but it takes way too much force. Suggestions?
    Per the firearms instructors at my Illinois State Mandated Law Enforcement Firearms Training.....on the Glocks it is a slide lock, not a slide lock. It should be hard to push down; it is not designed to release the slide. It is designed to lock the slide in place.

As someone else said, using the slide lock to release the slide is a fine muscle not a gross muscle skill. Trust me....you will lose those skills under stress. I am an EMT and I lose my fine motor skills under extreme stress. I can only imagine trying to use them when you are trying to reload and someone is shooting back. The best way to release the slide is to drop the empty mag, reload a fresh magazine, put your hand over the top of the slide between the ejection port / covering the rear sight, rip and I mean rip the slide to the rear. DO NOT sling-shot slide and DO NOT ride the slide forward. The first is not safe and uses the fine motor skills I mentioned earlier, and the second could cause malfunctions.

Oh yeah, and the slide lock on Glocks are made of stamped steel.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    Sarcasm On.

Sarcasm Off.
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I just don't understand why some are so concerned with using the slide release under stress. If this is true you don't even have to worry about it since you won't be able to drop the mag in the first place, since it requires the same thumb action.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links