UPDATE on Taurus PT111 Mil Pro

This is a discussion on UPDATE on Taurus PT111 Mil Pro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so from my previous post: Originally Posted by rfleming I don't want to get too fired up about Taurus but they must have the most ...

Thread: UPDATE on Taurus PT111 Mil Pro

UPDATE on Taurus PT111 Mil Pro

so from my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by rfleming View Post
    I don't want to get too fired up about Taurus but they must have the most innovative ideas and the poorest execution of any company.

I have a M85 that the center pin is all bound up in the open position on...meaning that it is a paperweight, and I plan on sending it back to Taurus.

But the real crown jewel is the new Mil Pro PT111Pro that the slide was manufactured wring allowing the captive recoil spring to not be so captive and shoot out the front.

Taurus has had that since 02/13/2007 (per their letter date) and have not fixed it yet. They claim to be waiting on a new slide from Brazil. I ask when will it be fixed and they advise they don't know...Grrrrrrrrr.

I am so frustrated I can't talk!

-Rob

There has been a great improvement...sort of!

I called Taurus today...after getting the run around for over 4 months and politely demanded that this be rectified...either fix my pistol (they claimed to be waiting on a new slide from Brazil) or send me back my gun in an inoperative condition and I will simply have it destroyed as this was ridiculous. Well I talked to a guy named Frank...he was by far the most helpful person at Taurus I have talked to yet. He spoke with a manager and got permission to simply send me a new gun. The only hitch being that it would be a stainless model as they did not have any more blued models. I was fine with that. Frank told me he would have the "gunsmiths" take a look at the brand new pistol they were sending me to insure it was perfect and he would have a tracking number for me by Friday. He even gave me his direct extension. It remains to be seen if Taurus will finally rectify this situation but we will see and for those interested I will keep you posted. I remain hopeful. I really did like the pistol and it shot great.

Moral of the story though...It should not take over 4 months to fix a customers problem when it is not a custom piece!!!

-Rob

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Your right it should not; I went through the same thing with Big Green
    after 5/6 months they admitted they lost the shotgun and finally sent me a new one.

I have several Taurus guns and while I have had no problems with them, I worry about the day that I might have a problem. I have heard these types of stories about the customer service and repair shop there and it does not make me feel good about them.

So, in the last couple of years we made a conscious decision to move up in quality as far as our guns went. This meant going up in price as well but it was something we were willing to do. In the last 2 years we have purchased an XD, a Sig and a Glock. All of them are excellent guns and feel very solid. I have more confidence in them than the Taurus pistols. The only one I still have 100% confidence in is the PT-99. It is all metal, built well and has over 50,000 rounds through it with no problems at all. And I trust it mostly because it is 18 years old and I know Taurus made better guns back then.

I still like my Taurus guns but they re rarely ever carried if ever. The have been retired to range use and fun plinking.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It is as I said...Taurus has some revolutionary ideas for the firearms industry, and I applaud them for bringing them to market...but...and that is a big BUT, if QC isn't there or you can't execute on your idea then whats the point. OK so Taurus makes some lemons, unfortunately nowadays everyone does...(even Glock ) but its what you do for your customer after the sale that can make or break your business.

Take for instance Henry Repeating Arms. I bought an el-cheapo AR-7 clone and the damn rear butt cap didn't fit right. This is a $160 gun. So I e-mail the company on the indicated contact e-mail. So who should respond...but the president of the company himself telling me that he is sending out a new butt cap, priority mail, and a catalog! Needless to say Henry has earned my business for life, and I am eying a Golden Boy right now.

I just wish all manufacturers even met us (the consumer) halfway when we have a problem. They can certainly NOT afford not to!

Just my late night ramblings.

-Rob

And Taurus continues to dissapoint...

...I s/w Frank and he had warned me that with the end of the month and all my gun may not ship out till this week...or it WOULD have if some ninny in shipping didn't decide to cancel the order. Frank s/w his manager and told me he was getting it "expedited" and that is "should" ship out no later then Tuesday of next week. We will see...I want this saga to end on a happy note, as even after I deal with this PT111 I still have to send my M85 back to Miami...oh joy!

Senior Moderator
    I have two Taurus pistols and I like them, but this is just one of many bad stories I've heard about their customer service.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So, Frank at Taurus (who is the only reason I haven't gone completely crazy) gave me the tracking number for my replacement PT-111 Mil Pro.

So the gun arrives BUT my dealer informs me that it is a blue one NOT a stainless one like I Was promised grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

So I call Frank and he was PISSED as he invested much time to make sure this worked out well for me. So I figure what the heck, I sent in a blued one and would be really obnoxious to have my dealer return this new one only to try to get a stainless one shipped. So I ask what he can do for me, maybe a magazine or something.

He talks to his manager and he tells me he is shipping 2 new magazines!

I am picking up the gun this Saturday and running no less then 500 rounds through it. I told Frank this and he advised that if I had ANY problems call him on Monday and he would take care of it.

So we will see...I really do hope that it works out great but I am kind of bummed that I didn't get a stainless pistol as that was what I wanted originally but the dealer did not have one.

-Rob

So good news...

I got my PT111 Mil Pro from my dealer today.

I had the 2 mags it came with and one of the mags from my first gun that I kept (really glad I did).

I had 5 different shooters run approx 400 rounds of ammo through it without even cleaning out the factory gunk first. There was only ONE malfunction and that was the result of a hard primer on a WWB 9mm FMJ value pack round (one of the other guns suffered from 2 "light strikes" from the same box of ammo). And I discovered that after the gun reverted to DA I was able to set the round off on a 2nd strike (proving to me that this is not such a bad ideas).

I plan on running 200 more rounds through it tomorrow and if there is no issue with them I will be close to pronouncing her tip top.

While I was not shooting for accuracy this little bugger was dead on under 25 ft.

I also forgot how small the PT111 Mil Pro is. I am baby sitting my friends Walther P99c for him while he is training up for his next go in the sandbox and while I really like the Walther it is HUGE compared to the Taurus.

-Rob

P.s. If any one would like to see comparison pictures between the walther and the Taurus let me know and I can take and post them.

Cool

Of course we want comparison pictures!!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a PT-140 and the gun has been absolutely flawless in about 400 rounds. It's dead on accurate, but I could not get rid of that notion in my head that when I need it most, something is not going to work.
    Yesterday I bought an SP 101, and that's what I am going to carry. While I love the PT-140, I feel more confident carrying the Ruger.

Links