Does it really matter? - Page 2

Does it really matter?

This is a discussion on Does it really matter? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sheesh! Too many words here! Just carry the largest caliber you can shoot comfortably and accurately. Anything else is drivel!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sheesh! Too many words here!

Just carry the largest caliber you can shoot comfortably and accurately.

Anything else is drivel!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I do not want this to become a 'what should I carry?' thread.

I have recently received my CCW permit and I am currently looking for carry equipment. I have gone to the range a number of times renting different guns to find out 'what feels comfortable.' Revolvers, semis, .38, 9mm, .45...Glock, SW...

So, I fire 100 rounds from each. I hit COM every time. Each time I go home and I think that it really makes no difference which I buy. Am I simply too much a novice to notice the nuance of the different guns? Does it make any difference at all if the only purpose is self defense?

What differences should I be looking for in a carry weapon?
    Actually I think you might be afflicted with a very serious disease. The ability so shoot almost any firearm well and enjoy them all.

The only cure for this is going to become a member of Sarah Brady's buy a gun a month club. We all tribute her for that great suggestion after she once said that we evil gun owners should be limited to purchasing only one gun a month. I didn't realize I was so far behind meeting her standards when I first heard about it.

Otherwise Self Defense, buy what you like best. If you are that fairly universal, and cheap like me, then I would certainly put price on my priority list. However, I would never sacrifice a good, reliable firearm that costs a little more for a cheap S&W Sigma.... oops I mean cheap junk gun. I suggest you do a search for the words "range report" on the forum here and read other's reviews on their firearms. Some folks here and written some darn good and honest reviews.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    After a while, they get heavy and uncomfortable...
    A carry gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. The problem with any piece of emergency equipment that's used rarely is it's easy to skimp, to go with something less effective because it's easier/cheaper/whatever. It's easy to skimp because most of the time there's no consequence. When there is a consequence, however, it could mean your life. Do you really want to go up against a shotgun-wielding disgruntled employee with a .380?

I carry a fullsize service pistol all the time, and I know plenty of other people who do the same thing. Get a good holster and belt, dress around the gun. You won't even notice it after a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Carry all the time you can legally do so.
    I'd amend that to say, "Carry the gun you want with you in a gunfight all the time you can legally do so."

My advice: You want lots of rounds and a powerful caliber. Get the most powerful weapon you can shoot with a high-cap magazine. For me, that's a high-capacity .45, like a Glock 21 or Springfield XD .45. These two do have grips like a 2x4, and some people can't wrap their hands around them comfortably. If that's the case I'd recommend a double-stack .40. If the recoil on the .40 is too snappy, go with a high-cap 9mm. If your hands are too small for a double-stack 9mm, start working your way down the single stack pistols or look at a revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    As far as I can tell if you can hit what your aiming at it doesn't matter.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

For my money, anything you can shoot fast and accurately in a caliber of 38 Spl +P or better, you're doing fine. By fast and accurately, I mean being able to consistently execute the following:

- From concealed holster, draw and deliver first shot in 1.5 seconds or better; deliver four follow up shots in under 1.5 seconds - total five shots in 3 seconds, from concealed holster.
    - All hits need to be made on a 6" x 8" target, at a minimum of five yards

If all your choices meet that requirement (or something similar of your own devising), you should think about the following:

1. How fast can you reload from empty? Anything over two seconds, IMHO, is simply not acceptable
    2. How fast can you clear a major malfunction?
    3. How well can you accomplish the shooting drill above one handed? Weak handed only?
    4. How well can you execute precision shots at longer ranges (15-25 yard head shots are what I'm thinking of here)

All these "tests" should drive you to a small pool of potential pistols. Then it really comes down to cost, ease of concealment, and capacity. For me, the G19 is the obvious choice - given its combination of compact size, high capacity, and high shootability. The S&W M&P is another pistol of interest to me, though its size makes it just a HAIR larger than I care for, especially given the hot/humid climates I live and work in.

I've successfully concealed pistols as large as a full size all steel 1911 in hot/humid settings, though, so don't let yourself be constrained to "compacts" by any means...

Let us know how it works out for you, and stay safe!

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

One thing I picked up while learning is also base your decision on a handgun that you can easily control and keep accuracy with one hand should in case your other hand is damaged.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Some other variables to consider
    1. what fits your body, hand grip best.
    2. pick a target, close your eyes aim and open eyes. Which gun is closest to on target ?
    3. do all the controls work easily, without shifting your grip?
    4. ammo cost, the cheaper the ammo, the more you can shoot.
    5. holster, accessory availability. research the gun/s you like for equipment availability & price.
    This is the best list in this IMO. #4 and #5 are often over looked by new guys and they are very important. If you cannot afford to practice with that .454 you are going to be worthless compared to the guy who bought a 9mm and spends some time with it. Also, if you cannot get a decent rig for your bargain table off the wall pistol no one else carries, its going to end up being left at home. You will be out buying another gun or give it up all together.
    #1 and #3 go without saying, although I'm not a huge "it fits my hand" type of guy. If all the other elements are there, I'll learn to use it. I dont go walking around with gun in my hand saying "this feels great in my hand" I shoot the gun for a few minutes and carry it a lot. I want it to say it feels great on my hip, (physically and mentally i.e. confidence in the gun and my ability with it) I really dont give a darn how it feels in my hand.

Once you buy you carry rig, practice! Practice your draw, your presentation and reholster. Shooting at static paper targets doesnt matter much, you have to do some dynamic training. Take as many classes as you can, it might save your life- This is more important than selection a pistol and strapping it on everyday, you got to really know what you are doing with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for that input. Those were many of the questions I have been asking and have been led to believe that you can conceal virtually any size handgun.
    While that may be true, the amount of work you have to do to conceal the gun is much more for some guns than for others. If you're looking to get your first handgun and you plan on using it primarily for self defense and concealed carry, I'd highly suggest you consider one of the smaller 9mm weapons for easy concealability and cheap ammo that you can afford to practice with more often. Either that or a nice snubbie revolver.

The most important things, in my opinion, are:

1. The gun is small enough to easily conceal without having to completely change your wardrobe or make you risk exposing it at work. (The smaller semi-autos will do this, though many like the revolvers here as well.)

2. The caliber is sufficient to provide immediate stopping power with a couple of well placed shots. (The 9mm has no problem here, with modern ammunition)

3. The ammunition you fire is cheap enough that you can easily afford to go to the range and shoot your new weapon often! 9mm has a clear advantage over many other calibers here. (I recommend going to the range at least once or twice a month when getting started, if not more often, until you become proficient with your new weapon and feel comfortable that you can consistently hit what you're aiming for. Shot placement is critical no matter what caliber you're shooting.)
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

I think most of the big considerations are already well covered, so I'll just echo/emphasize.

Ammo cost is quite relevant, particularly if you're shooting several hundred rounds a month.

Also, my recommendation would be to leave $150 (perhaps more) of your budget for a good holster and gun belt. Though there are cheaper routes, that would come close to covering a Comp-Tac CTAC and a Tucker bullhide gunbelt or similar setup.

That said, I would also recommend looking at your holster/accessory options of the guns you're considering. Some such as glock, 1911, j-frame and xd have tons of options while some other pistols are much more limited -- something I quickly learned after I picked up my Walther P99 years ago.

Be safe. Have fun.

May I suggest that you try some without the sights. I can seem to be able to shoot just about any handgun well, if I'm doing slow fire with the sights. Just try some point shooting and narrow the field down to those that aim somewhat naturally for you.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    No it does not matter as long as you like it and shoot it well.

VIP Member
    Does it make any difference at all if the only purpose is self defense?

What differences should I be looking for in a carry weapon?
    Nope no difference in S-D.

What differences? Ergonomics for you, ability for you to carry it, biggest caliber you can conceal or open carry if that is your thing.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Sponsor
    A very good thread here. Lots of lucid realistic suggestions coupled with expeirienced as well as logical reasoning behind the suggestions.

Someone outa make a list of all those recommendations.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links