Does it really matter?

Does it really matter?

This is a discussion on Does it really matter? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not want this to become a 'what should I carry?' thread. I have recently received my CCW permit and I am currently looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Does it really matter?

I do not want this to become a 'what should I carry?' thread.

I have recently received my CCW permit and I am currently looking for carry equipment. I have gone to the range a number of times renting different guns to find out 'what feels comfortable.' Revolvers, semis, .38, 9mm, .45...Glock, SW...

So, I fire 100 rounds from each. I hit COM every time. Each time I go home and I think that it really makes no difference which I buy. Am I simply too much a novice to notice the nuance of the different guns? Does it make any difference at all if the only purpose is self defense?

What differences should I be looking for in a carry weapon?

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    What sold me on revolvers is the way they fit my hand. S&W J and K frame revolvers automatically point to where I look in a way that no semi auto that I have tried does.

IMO, the ability to quickly deliver hits under severe stress is greatly aided by that natural pointability. And in a fight only hits count.

Try to simulate the most stressful situation you can encounter yourself in by running hardm stopping in front of your target 5 to 7 yards away, draw from concealment and shoot one handed as fast as you can. Then you can tell which gun will perform best for you.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you're comfortable if all of them & they all seem the same doing the above mentioned "stress" test, than it's really easy.

If cost isn't an issue, I get the one I think would conceal the best & be the most comfortable to carry.

That's why I find myself using my Kahr PM9 far more than my S&W 442. It's the same weight, better trigger, shorter, thinner, easier/quicker reload, & more powerful through short barrels. However, I've recently found myself carrying my new Glock 19 lately, just because I seem to shoot it so well.

The Glocks aren't supposed to be good pointshooters, but I think my having them so long (& having had 4 different models), you get used to it. I will say revovlers are great, but they're more difficult to shoot well with my large hands. Even on my Kahr (Unless I pocket carry it), I carry it with the extended mag. I used to do that with my old Glock 26 too, or a pierce grip extender.

All things being equal, you're probably better off with the lighter, easier to carry gun.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The more you shoot, you will find that your tastes change in gun sizes and calibers. Its natural.....can be expensive... but natural.
    Have fun !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Keep trying guns and you will find one at some point that just clicks with you.

If not, then pick one based on price, the way it fits your hand and how well you shoot it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I hit COM every time.
    Would that we all were so fortunate! Get whichever one of them pleases you, whatever you define that as....

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Other things to consider

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    So, I fire 100 rounds from each. I hit COM every time. Each time I go home and I think that it really makes no difference which I buy.
    It is good that you can hit COM on the target reliably, although you didn't mention how far you are from the target or how large an area "COM" is on the target.

Some other variables you want want to consider in selecting your carry gun might include:

1. Speed - how fast can you put several shots in the target area?

2. Caliber and power - What is the most powerful caliber you can manage in a compact carry gun?

3. Concealability - Is the gun small enough to conceal easily?

4. Reliability - Is the gun a proven brand and model that you have thoroughly tested before using?

5. Capacity - How many rounds in the gun will make you feel comfortable?

6. Price - How much can you afford?

I see your from AZ. What you really need to consider is the type of clothing you wear. During warm months I carry a S&W642CT .38spec. in a pocket holster. This is a super easy combo to conceal.

During the colder months I carry a Glock 19 in a belt holster.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    It is good that you can hit COM on the target reliably, although you didn't mention how far you are from the target or how large an area "COM" is on the target.
    Well, that really wasn't my point. The COM was simply a target with a human shaped likeness that had a rectangle encompassing what I would consider a torso. I was practicing at seven and ten yards. However, it was from a low ready position, not a concealed draw under a high pressure situation. I would expect EVERYONE that has handled a firearm could accomplish that.

Some other variables you want want to consider in selecting your carry gun might include:

1. Speed - how fast can you put several shots in the target area?

2. Caliber and power - What is the most powerful caliber you can manage in a compact carry gun?

3. Concealability - Is the gun small enough to conceal easily?

4. Reliability - Is the gun a proven brand and model that you have thoroughly tested before using?

5. Capacity - How many rounds in the gun will make you feel comfortable?

6. Price - How much can you afford?
    Thanks for that input. Those were many of the questions I have been asking and have been led to believe that you can conceal virtually any size handgun.

Guns are a personal preference, what works for you may not work for me. I like the 1911 platform.
    The good thing is that you can't have too many guns.
    For deep concealment and BUG I use a Kel-Tec P3AT.
    Enjoy your quest, guns can become infectious.

Lead Moderator
    Some other variables to consider
    1. what fits your body, hand grip best.
    2. pick a target, close your eyes aim and open eyes. Which gun is closest to on target ?
    3. do all the controls work easily, without shifting your grip?
    4. ammo cost, the cheaper the ammo, the more you can shoot.
    5. holster, accessory availability. research the gun/s you like for equipment availability & price.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just get the credit card out, your checkbook, debit card, cuz you are gonna need it. Ain't no one gun fits all with a gun person. You gotta have one for every occasion. ;)
    You will find one that fits better than most, you point, draw and fire better with, etc. Most are subtle things, but one will rise to the top of the heap. Luck in your search and welcome to the shooting sports.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Just get the credit card out, your checkbook, debit card, cuz you are gonna need it. Ain't no one gun fits all with a gun person. You gotta have one for every occasion. ;)
    You will find one that fits better than most, you point, draw and fire better with, etc. Most are subtle things, but one will rise to the top of the heap. Luck in your search and welcome to the shooting sports.

Sad, but expensively true.

One point I would add although it has been touched on before, but important enough it bears repeating.

A gun that you leave at home does you no good! Period!

The amount of time you spend renting a gun is probably not enough time to really know if you can carry it day in & day out.

After a while, they get heavy and uncomfortable... You find that the gun you loved shooting on the range, all of a sudden digs into in places that really hurt after 4 or 5 hours of carrying. Sometimes a different holster or finding a new place or way to carry it helps. Sometimes it doesn't

If you don't have a lot of money to buy a smaller gun after you find the big one you bought isn't working, then you'll find yourself carrying less and less. It's subtle at first... first, it's "I'm just going to the corner to get gas and milk so I don't have to do it in the morning" type thing... then it's some other reason you won't carry.

To avoid that potential pitfall, be sure you get one that you KNOW you'll be comfortable carrying all the time. Small enough, and light enough. Especially if you can't afford to just go out and get another new gun.

Also, ccw is a commitment. Sometimes it's just gonna be uncomfortable carrying a hunk of steel or a hunk of steel and plastic.

Mr. Murphey has a horrible way of showing up at the worst times... and the chances of when you really need your gun, will be the time you left it at home happens to people all the time.

Don't be one of those people.

Carry all the time you can legally do so.

Stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I completely agree with Bark'n, my little pm9 fits that "Im going to the store for milk" gun role perfectly. I started with a glock 19, and that gun is great, i shot it well, and it carried well. Glocks have no sharp edges, so they all carry well. Then i shot my sig for the first time, and while i was a good shot with my glock, im a great shot with my sig, so i deal with carrying a larger and heavier gun knowing im better with it. BUT it is heavy and big, and i need to dress around that gun, so thats where my little kahr fits in. If i am going out for the day, the sig gets carry duty, if its a quick thing, like walking my dog, i stick the kahr in my pocket and call it a day.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links