For just pennies a day... - Page 2

For just pennies a day...

This is a discussion on For just pennies a day... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The cleaning advice is good, but if you read the rest of that column, it has a site suggestion and some defensive combat tips based ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The cleaning advice is good, but if you read the rest of that column, it has a site suggestion and some defensive combat tips based on what we on this site believe is a HOAX video. It wasn't too long ago, but we decided that the video cited by Farnham is staged. Having said that if HE can't see it then IMHO his tactical advice is somewhat suspect. But I certainly WILL take his cleaning advice! LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I like bore snakes, especially when in the field on hunting trips. I do have reserve feelings about the use of them at home. I assume you love your weapon, like we all do---Have you ever had a colonoscopy??? Do you REALLY want to do that to the one thing that may safe your life ??Paybacks are hell. LOL.

"Snakes.... why did it have to be snakes" <Indiana Jones voice>

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Hmmmmmmmmm..I wonder if Slick 50 works well with Penziol.. Deke? I never knew that stuff you mentioned would work.I'm going need to try that
    Seriously, after getting all of the grunge off my barrel (stainless) I take it in the kitchen under hot running water and scrub it with Dawn dishwashing liquid. It turns out extremly clean. Before I reassemble I oil it and run a patch with with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. It's great on guns, and won't break down and gum up.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My Sig, for example AND my Government Model 1911, both can get gummy after awhile. They may run, even so. But I'll find the incidence of stovepipes rises because the slide is too gummed up to move all the way to the rear and complete the extraction.
    I've run my Sig 226s thousands of rounds between cleanings on occasion. Usually it's only a few hundred, but I have yet to experience a stovepipe or jam or any other problem. It's one of the reasons I trust the darned things.

It's just not something I honestly worry about - it's like my FALs. If they don't run dirty, I should have picked something else.

I'll clean if there's a need or it's been a few months or whatnot in most instances - but I'm not worried about it if life interferes.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

oass on the slick 50 one lube ... if you gonna use slick 50 do it just not the stuff in the organe and black can we get it from work ask my buddie about his rusted guns and you can guess why i avoid it...

I use mobile one or castrol syntech for lube also on my guns or slideglide in the light weight carry formula so it doest fun off the rails

LOL.Bud
    I wouldn't even use that stuff on my vehicles....I learned a long time ago how it ( the slick 50) breaks down the O rings and seals.....I wouldn't use it on my guns ..(I was kidding about using it LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Seriously, after getting all of the grunge off my barrel (stainless) I take it in the kitchen under hot running water and scrub it with Dawn dishwashing liquid. It turns out extremly clean. Before I reassemble I oil it and run a patch with with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. It's great on guns, and won't break down and gum up.
    Exactly. Oh, you may need some specific bore cleaners once in a while, but good old dishwashing soap or undiluted Simple Green, and a little water and scrubbing is all ya need to get most guns clean...after all cutting grease & crud is what they do. You can save yourself a crap load of money on cleaning supplies...take it from someone who over the years has tried about everything on the market!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

DC Founder
    While I know some people hate it, I have stopped using commercial spray gun cleaners and started using WD40. It's cheap and was surprised at how well it cuts the grime. I take it apart completely, spray each part liberally with the pipe on the can until it runs clear and set it down to soak while I boresnake and then scrub the barrel real well in the sink. When I come back, I spray all parts again and wipe everything down until it is dry. I get all visible WD40 residue off and then a final wipedown with an old tshirt, lightly oil the slide, the lockup area of the barrel, run a patch down the barrel and re-assemble. Whole gun is then squeaky clean, no residue to get on your holster, clothes or hands and and it's good to go.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I too used WD40 on one of my P7's ( Hard Chrome one) after a shooting session. Amazingly, it broke through the grime, and powder residue. Bumper's on the money when he mentions about spraying the WD40 on the weapon until it runs clear.The hard chrome showed all the deposits and when I was done, it was clean as a whistle. Good stuff, and it's cheap enough to buy.

If its a thourgh cleaning i usually use brake clean safe for tactile tupperware also from wall mart huge can 1.29$ compare to the 6-7 for gunscrubber same thing same stuff in it .. Bigger can the brake cleaner though ..

Wd40 works ok but not as good as the old forumla b4 they changed it 3-4 years ago .. as long as you dont plan on using it to coat the guns and leave um i see no problem with using it i dont but to each there own.

I clean the carry gun twice a year, and fire it maybe

200 rds a year, with mild loads. I shoot maybe 20 rds a year of full power stuff in it. 99% of the practicing is done with a spare gun, very similar to the carry gun, so that the fouling and wear are not put on the carry gun. That way, I don't have to care if the practice gun is dirty or malfunctions now and then. I don't waste my time reloading, or retreiving brass. I'd rather be shooting, or dryfiring or practicing the draw. I never bother to brush a handgun bore, unless I've been shooting wax "ammo" thru it. It's nust not necessary, so why bother?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links