Have you noticed this about guns... - Page 4

Have you noticed this about guns...

This is a discussion on Have you noticed this about guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All my carry guns are bone stock and nothing fancy for me. Only commonality is they are all DAO so I can mix and match ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed this about guns...

All my carry guns are bone stock and nothing fancy for me. Only commonality is they are all DAO so I can mix and match with no issue.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I must fall in the cracks somewhere. I carry a SA 1911 GI. The only modifications I made were a change in grips because the wood grips were chipping and I don't like checkering on a carry pistol. While she is stainless steel, that's because my XD9 had a rusting issue (Which Springfield took care of w/ no problem). If I carry a BUG it is generally a .38 special Derringer. No lazers, no rail and I didn't do a trigger job on it.

I do carry my XD9 from time to time, but I'm a better shot with either one of my 1911's.

Now I've contemplated getting a snubbie for a BUG but I'm in the middle of paying of other bills.

And I'm under 35 and I'm far from a pro. Honestly, I would love to fall under the pro category, but the other pros would laugh at my shooting.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

OD*
    There are a lot of "Pros" that carry the 1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I am Just an old Hillbilly, I like Lever action rifles, 1911 type pistols for concealed carry, Revolvers for OWB while hunting, and I have acollection of about 2,000 knives (most military and some custom).
    I have a Bolt action 22 single shot by Winchester, and a Bolt action Target rifle by Ruger in 308. I have a MAK 91 just because I like it.

I would like to collect guns but finances won't cover another Hobby.
    I buy guns or knives when I find one I like if I have the money. I don't make a habit of trading up or down nor selling anything I have.
    Usually the only time a gun or knife leaves my possesion is if I give it to a Family member.

I don't customize my guns, If I want custom parts on a gun I buy the gun that way.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    See I am an odd duck as if I had my way I would prefer to carry an old SA revolver (probably 45lc) with a small sword or dagger.

But since that is not the way the world works, I have a DA auto with 15 rounds loaded and a spare mag, along with at least 2 knives.

I tend to prefer old army surplus weaponry, not because it is "cool" or anything, but because it is cheap, hardy and will always go bang, and if not makes a good club. (thinking pre Vietnam) I think that in general weapons are made for a different purpose (and a different world) than they were 50 years ago, and I feel that the old ways are often best in the end.

Only customizations I ever add to my weaponry are scopes and slings. (ok well I do own a knife with a laser sight on it, but just one).

Guns are tools, but also symbols, so I stick to the ones that have as much symbolism as possible in them. (as a preference). I use such symbolism to teach others why we need to be able to own weapons, and know how to use them.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yea I have noticed what you say Sixto. I have also noticed that people get hung up on caliber and capacity in their strange mall ninja logic too, without any clue about the pros and cons of each one.

My firearm purchasing evolution has been influenced by two things: 1. Upbringing - law enforcement family, deputy reserve 2. Income

I started out with hunting rifles, precision rifles, and when pistols became possible it has been Glocks. I now have gotten to the point where I have said I won't buy another Glock until I fill some slots on the pistol wishlist. I am also rounding out the rifles with some nice politically incorrect items as well.

I am really trying to work to meet Sarah Brady's "gun a month club". Only as income allows though.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Well, the reason I chose an XD:

--Price. I am in college and money doesn't grow on trees.
    --Reliability. I wanted something very reliable, sturdy, and that could take a beating but it also needed to be practical(see price).
    --Performance. The gun needed to preform everytime, accurately.
    --Comfort. It needed "feel right" when I held it. No point getting a gun that feels awkward.

Using that criteria you basically have the mid range pistols and revolvers. Revolvers are out because I don't like the way they feel in my hand (and I had issues with the capacity). The first three criteria basically left me with only a few options: Glock or XD. I went to the range and shot both. I shot the XD better and the Glock jammed (I know it was because it was a dirty range gun but it still effected my decision ;) ).

I am a 21 year old "kid" that just got his ccw. You can draw your own conclusions and make your own correlations from that though if you want.

haha btw there is nothing wrong with liking the way your gun looks. My XD looks very tacticool.

Ooh, Ooh, I Wanna Play, Too!

OK, OK... Let's work backwards. Instead of going forward from the gun nut to the gun, I want to know what you think my choice of guns says about my personality.

I currently own an FNP-9 and have just bought a CZ-P01.

I am also drawn to the following: Glock 19 (you all know what it looks like), an AK variant (ditto), and the FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun.

So, what's your take?

I'm sort of a practical-minimalist type. I will buy what I find works and not much more, regardless of the price. (you get what you pay for, and value over cost)

I settled on a snubby because it will do the job, it is compact enough to carry regularly, comfortably and it's easy to carry an extra 12 rounds in two Bianchi speed strips. I did order my S&W 642 with CT laser grips, I probably could have done without them though and without the HK speed loaders that were inexpensive but too bulky to carry for my preference.

With a Smart Carry holster I don't bulk up a pocket or lose a place to keep my keys, coins, speed strips, wallet or cell phone. A lightweight sharp Spiderco Delica clips nicely behind my belt on the top edge of my pants for "gray-man' concealment, no clip showing.

The first thing I did after bringing this new tool home was to smooth off the square edges with a file on the back of front sight and the rear of the cylinder for less chance of snagging on the draw. Then Charlie at SmartCarry added a plastic sleeve to my holster to allow for a smoother snag-free draw.

I'm over 50 sneaking up fast on 60 so I'm over the "reduced manhood' thing, you know trying to compensate for not as fast, not as strong, not as trim, not as viral, bad eyes, bad ears, fewer teeth, less hair, wrinkles, etc. etc.. So what pigeon-hole do I fall into?

Lastmanout, I think it is a reasonable set up. I am not fond of Smartcarry but if it works for you...... I would opt for a good pocket holster or a good IWB in appendix carry. The CT is an exceptional tool on the J-Frame guns and worth the money.

Foreign dude, I have no idea of your personality, but seems you have a practical sense about your guns, how ever if you haven't gotten the G19 yet well dude, drink more Hoffbrau and think about it lol.

(What part of Germany?)
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

I just like guns.

I like BUYING guns. I like looking at guns. I like holding and caressing guns. I like cheap guns. I like expensive guns. I like guns that work. I like to work on guns. I like little guns. I like big guns. I like pistols. I like rifles. I like shotguns. I like black guns. I like shiney guns. I like green guns. I like old guns. I like new guns. I like my guns. I like your guns.

I like ALL guns!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I'm 46 yrs old, and started my LO carrier back in 1979.

I was issued a S&W 581 .357mag. (still have that one in the safe)
    In 1982 we transition over to S&W 5906 9mm, I was in police heven

Jump to 2001 I'm now Senor Sergeant and training new guy and gals
    with all the new weapon systems available to me.
    When I qualify the class for the first time I always take that old 581
    and the reaction I get is what is that, does it still shoot? giggle,giggle.

Then after they all get a good laugh at my (OLD SCHOOL) revolver
    I proceed to shoot the course off fire and challenge the class to beat it.

So far no one has done it, would I carry that old Smith on duty today? no but I would not fill under-gunned if I did.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I just like guns. I mostly buy them for utilitarian, or at least percieved utilitarian, value.

I usually carry my 38 spl revolver. I have carried some type of 5 shot .38 revolver since I was in my early or mid twenties. Sometimes though, if it's cool enough to wear some clothes in FL, I carry my med frame .40 Auto. My .45s are bone stock GI, but I would prefer, and plan to add, better sights on them for strictly utilitarian reasons.

I like expensive guns, like colt ARs, Kimber Desert Warriors, Winchester model 21's, but can't justify spending that kind of cash when I can hit the target and effecively do the same job with something cheaper, as long as it is utterly reliable. I paid $325 for my Savage .308, and can print sub-moa groups with it in stock form, therefore I don't have a Weatherby becuase the Savage will do.

My competition sporting clays gun is costly by most people's standards, but I bought it for a lot less than it is worth on gunbroker, and it is designed for the specific task that I use it for, so I don't feel too bad about that. I would never buy a $10,000.00 Perazzi, because a $2,000.00 Brownning is just as good for my purposes.

I do have some show guns, sort of. My bird hunting guns are pretty side by sides and not cheap. They are intended to serve as both utilitarian, and aesthetically pleasing guns that make me happy, with less of a utilitarian emphasis. WHY? Becuase I just can't imagine having a $3,000 dollar dog point a bird that I have traveled 100s of miles and spent countless dollars to pursue, and me shooting ithe bird with a mossberg pump. But that's just me, and I feel that way becuase I respect the tradition of the sport, the romance (if you will) of it, the majesty of the creatures I pursue, and moreso the dogs who work with me in the pursuit. Not that they care what I shoot with, but it's a trilogy: bird, dog, gun through which the sport is fully culminated in my mind.

That being said, a street thug deserves no respect in my book, nor does the brutality of combat deserve romance, therefore anything that gets the job done will suit that purpose. You don't need fancy trash cans, you just need cans that work. All a CC weapon is for is taking out the trash if needed.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    I would opt for a good pocket holster or a good IWB in appendix carry. The CT is an exceptional tool on the J-Frame guns and worth the money.
    I am waiting for a K&D IWB holster, although I don't like the tug on the belt during an active day. Possibly a better belt would help that.

Administrator
    Your impressed by engineering, you follow the KISS theory... you must be German.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignDude View Post
    OK, OK... Let's work backwards. Instead of going forward from the gun nut to the gun, I want to know what you think my choice of guns says about my personality.

I currently own an FNP-9 and have just bought a CZ-P01.

I am also drawn to the following: Glock 19 (you all know what it looks like), an AK variant (ditto), and the FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun.

So, what's your take?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links