Have you noticed this about guns... - Page 6

Have you noticed this about guns...

This is a discussion on Have you noticed this about guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter SIXTO - Obviously Not Everybody Agrees With Your Perception Concerning Laser Sights being a gimmick for people that need more range ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    SIXTO - Obviously Not Everybody Agrees With Your Perception Concerning Laser Sights being a gimmick for people that need more range time.
    Yeah, I know. To each his own. I'm sure the laser companies are fine people with a great marketing plan. I dont fault them at all, but I still view lasers in most applications as toys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its no secret that I feel that lasers and other like gizmos are a crutch. To me, those with them on their defensive pistol need more range time.
    I know, I know... I just opened up a can of worms. Remember that this thread is about our perceptions.
    Your perception is wrong. Anyone adding a laser to their gun should already have the fundamentals down. Lasers should not be your primary sighting tool, but they offer great versatility when added. The J-Frame probably shows it more than any other I have seen. Shooting from odd situations and positions behind cover is another place a laser shows thru.

Now their are certain lasers I would say work better ,they are any that you can operate with a normal firing grip, they should have a instant on/off feature. Any feature that requires you to lose part of your firing grip should not be used. This is where Crimson Trace has shown remarkable insight in their designs and are the only ones I know of I would put on my pistol.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Interesting, I hadnt thought of it that way but I think your right. Cars have long been thought of as an extension of a persons (guys ) personality. Guns are too to an extent.
    I'll probably catch heck for this, but I drive a soccer mom van. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a Lady Smith?

Just so you all know that I'm not gay, the soccer van is my work vehicle, I got a couple of them for the fuel mileage. My real vehicle is an F350.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I'll probably catch heck for this, but I drive a soccer mom van. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a Lady Smith?

Just so you all know that I'm not gay, the soccer van is my work vehicle, I got a couple of them for the fuel mileage. My real vehicle is an F350.
    I'm going to call it a hunch that not too many gay men drive mini vans.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Yeah, I know. To each his own. I'm sure the laser companies are fine people with a great marketing plan. I dont fault them at all, but I still view lasers in most applications as toys.
    I don't have one, but I can see the benefits.

Firing accurately from retention being the biggest, not that we would be making a shot from over a few feet from there, but the comfort of knowing you are aiming COM when unable to get a sight picture would be nice.

Training with a laser can help build correct muscle memory, if you are aiming correctly when you practice you are more likely to aim correctly under duress. The laser should be on target from the retention position through the extension on a defensive draw stroke. Practicing poorly builds improper technique that is hard to break.

I would LOVE an IR laser and video camera. You can't see it, but the video can show you exactly what you are doing.

It could become a crutch, but is not necessarily a crutch if used right.

On the other hand, I can think of NO reason that a laser would be detrimental in a self defense situation.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I'm going to call it a hunch that not too many gay men drive mini vans.
    Good point, no kids.

Senior Moderator

My cats love to chase laser pointers, maybe that's why I should get one.

I can see the use a laser has, I can also see someone getting dependent on a laser too. I guess if you practice without one and then carry one you would have the best of both worlds
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And that Glock guys are typically knife guys, and 1911 style guys are flashlight guys.
    Just my observations. Could be a regional/local thing, could just be my perception, but I tend to watch people at the gun shows almost as much as I look at the other goodies. With that I have noticed the guys that crowd around the Glocks, or are carrying them in their tacticool thigh rigs also slobber on a lot of the knife dealers wares. Of course they ooh and ah over the shiniest, most serrated blades there are.

The ones that I have noticed looking at the lights typically drag their feet around the 1911's and the like and vice versa.

I carry either a 1911 or a Taurus PT-101 as an EDC. Right now it is the Taurus because the wife has me on some stupid diet and now none of my clothes fit. I carry the Taurus IWB (haven't found an IWB for the 1911 that I like yet) and that takes up the slack left between my belly and my belt. My most favorite "accessory" is my Surefire G2Z that I paid $20 for (good to work in a pawn shop sometimes). I have a knife or two on me all the time, but I use them more for utility than any prospect of defense.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Any feature that requires you to lose part of your firing grip should not be used. This is where Crimson Trace has shown remarkable insight in their designs and are the only ones I know of I would put on my pistol.
    Strange since crimson grips interfered with my grip on both the j frame S&W and the 1911 . I don't see the application for them and will not have them on my guns , Howeaver if it works for you that is fine , i dont choose your underware colors either lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post

I would think a very secure man could carry a Ladysmith without embarrassment.
    Go for it.

Yup, there are those of us who drive Yugo's and those who drive Porsche's, it all depends upon what you like. Me, I am all about function. I will carry my 1911A1 that I have had for 30 years because I am most comfortable with it, and I know that it will work, no matter what (though I secretly lust for a HK P7). I may carry another gun at some point, but not without a minimum of at least a thousand rounds through it.
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

Chevy Trucks, 1911's, Baseball, M-1 Garands, and Apple Pie

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Wholeburg contact wildalaska over on the fireing line , or cdnn a new batch of police trade in's just hit the usa and make the p7 somewhat affordable . I got mine off wild and while he is about $50 higher than cdnn i would do it again because he is a great guy to deal with .. see my thread on this forum or over on the fireing line for details .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Target Markets

With every pistol I've bought, I try to take notice of what can be done and what it is. e.g Stock mfg is good, but I could do this eventually, (sights, etc).

I battle with the opportunity cost of training vs expensive firearm. Always have.

I'd rather go to a years worth of matches, low light shooting, et al, than have a 3# trigger to lose a fight with.

James

Hrm, XD45c or a 1911 here. I've settled on what I feel the most comfortable with and shoot the best. In the last couple of years I've gone through a few different pistols trying to find what worked for me. Sig P239, Beretta Px4, .357, etc etc.

My only real indulgence is using .45. I don't really feel that it's any better of a round than .40 or 9mm. Maybe marginally, but imo, not enough to start an argument about. Yet, for some reason I find myself drawn to it. Nostalgia perhaps, or some kind of American pride or something. Dunno why, but I just love that caliber.

It also helps that I've gotten a couple good raises since I started with handguns and can afford to shoot .45 as well.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links