Have you noticed this about guns...

This is a discussion on Have you noticed this about guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Its no secret that I feel that lasers and other like gizmos are a crutch. To me, those with them on their defensive pistol need ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed this about guns...

"Its no secret that I feel that lasers and other like gizmos are a crutch. To me, those with them on their defensive pistol need more range time.
    I know, I know... I just opened up a can of worms. Remember that this thread is about our perceptions."

I'll agree with SIXTO on this one. It's my perception as well.

2. Remove Ads

LOL on the gay men's choice in cars sub-topic. My gay friends back in CA tended to drive sports cars (Porsches or BMWs). Not a minivan among them.

My taste in cars tends to be as diverse as my taste in guns.
    Cars: mustangs, jeeps, SUVs, and even a Jetta.
    Firearms: 1911s, USPs, P7M8, BHP, Marlin carbines, AR15s, FALs, Sigs, and a Steyr scout (I miss that rifle).

Personally, I'd love to some day be in the position to rotate concealed carry handguns. That's how we keep the holster-makers in business, right?
    :)

B.

Pretty guns are like new cars. some times you are afraid to use them to their full potential because you are afraid you might get a ding or scrach in it. The Glock isn't pretty and is like an old work truck that runs forever.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    Your perception is wrong. Anyone adding a laser to their gun should already have the fundamentals down. Lasers should not be your primary sighting tool, but they offer great versatility when added. The J-Frame probably shows it more than any other I have seen. Shooting from odd situations and positions behind cover is another place a laser shows thru.

Now their are certain lasers I would say work better ,they are any that you can operate with a normal firing grip, they should have a instant on/off feature. Any feature that requires you to lose part of your firing grip should not be used. This is where Crimson Trace has shown remarkable insight in their designs and are the only ones I know of I would put on my pistol.

If I'm wrong then so are you, 'cause I agree with you. You just took what I said a step further.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, im a little late but I'll throw in my 0.02

My vehicle and firearm choices are kind of the same, I prefer big and slow (kinda), to small and fast.

Big ole' (like before I was born old) pick-up (heck it even still has a carb), and a 1911 guy. (Not saying anything bad about the 1911, but the bullet is bigger and slower compared to others). Yeah, I'm 22 and love my 1911's (and old sixguns for that matter.)

As far as long gun's, its fun to tacti-cool out my Mossy 500 or AK (and I have added things to them), but my Stoeger Coachgun and Marlin .30-30, with their classic styling and nice wood furniture with blued steel are the one that I am always drawn to first when I open the gun safe.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Now on reflection i have to confess to being somewhat a " gun snob " even tho i own and use cheap guns such as kel-tec and taurus . I do delight in collecting and carrying fine brand firearms .. from my sig 220, kimber , colts , kahrs , hk , walther .. well you get the idea , i like fine tools and since it just costs the grandsons toys that they have enough of anyway i do indulge myself lol . Some days it is great to realise just what it means to be a young grandpa so i can still enjoy big boy toys lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Man, it gets on my nerves when they actually expect you to work around here.

I'd much rather surf the gun boards!

FIREARMZ: I live in beautiful, rainy Heidelberg, Germany.

SIXTO: I'm not German, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (Ok, a bad joke.) I'm Hispanic by birth, American by the grace of God.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignDude View Post
    I'd much rather surf the gun boards!

FIREARMZ: I live in beautiful, rainy Heidelberg, Germany.

SIXTO: I'm not German, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (Ok, a bad joke.) I'm Hispanic by birth, American by the grace of God.
    I lived in Stuttgart (Boeblingen/Sindelfingen) area for 6 years and Pirmasens for 3.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Administrator
    Does gun snobbery play a role in this? I dunno. My snobbery is more from my own experiances and not about money or brand fixation.
    For example, I dont like HK products or the company in general. I know they build some fantastic products but I just dont care for them. Others think if it aint HK it just isnt.
    I'm a Sig guy because they work for me. I'm a Glock guy because I love the fact I can abuse it and still expect it to function properly.
    I like quality 1911's because they are hard to beat at any task.
    I despise a lot of the low end guns, but others I really do like for what they are. Is that gun snobbery?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator

I've noticed that we have very few gun snobs here on this board though there is no shortage of them elsewhere on the Internet.

At least our gun snobs are not outspoken and rude gun snobs.

We DO have a few quiet ones though.

I know exactly who they are but, I'm keeping it a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My snobbery is more from my own experiances and not about money or brand fixation. For example, I dont like HK products or the company in general. I know they build some fantastic products but I just dont care for them. I'm a Sig guy because they work for me. I'm a Glock guy because I love the fact I can abuse it and still expect it to function properly. Is that gun snobbery?
    No, that's wisdom from experience. Big, big difference.

I also have an appreciation and respect for what works for me. Doesn't mean it'll work for anyone else in exactly the same way, but it does mean it's a good fit for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

PERFECT THREAD!
    I've got the "bling bling" type stuff....BUT I also have the older.. wheelies and semi auto pistols as well.....I've shot and caried both types... from the $3K ASP (chopped custom S&W model 39 that I paid 550.00 for) to the 150.00 OMC backup 380 (early version of the AMT Backup) which this one NEVER Fails me, and never jams. to everything in between..HK, Glock, Colt, Sig etc
    I see people come into the store and they see 1500.00 1911 types, and also look at the older Ruger P series pistols... To them.yes the big ticketitems are nice, BUT they look at the money they have in their pocket, and buy accoringly based on what they can afford/ or what feels best in their hands..
    BTW..I'm currently picking up an older Smith model 19..2 1/2 inch blueed pinned and recessed made around 1972 a bit of surface rust/pit...$212.00. but it will shoot/ carry as well as the 1500.00 gun..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

CLASS3NH,

Your AMT reference brings me back a bit. My first handgun was an AMT Automag II (22mag). That was a great little pistol.

I would say we all have our prejudices and predilections about firearms, from the AR15-haters to the HK kool-aid drinkers. Personally, I've never cared for the entire Ruger P-series; their grip, trigger, and handling characteristics simply don't agree with me. That said, I know a good number of people who love them. I've never been able to warm up to the Glock trigger, but I still greatly respect the line of handguns for their durability and ease of use.

Does that make me a snob?
    My wife says yes.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I've noticed that we have very few gun snobs here on this board though there is no shortage of them elsewhere on the Internet.

At least our gun snobs are not outspoken and rude gun snobs.

We DO have a few quiet ones though.

I know exactly who they are but, I'm keeping it a secret.
    hey hey hey now......SMILE when ya say that! No snob here cuz I love em all!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm not sure I could agree that certain types pick certain guns but then again... I have noticed a lot of 1911's among the older crowd!
    My Daddy drove a Ford so I'll drive a Ford...

If a company can survive for 500 years they must be doing something right...

From what I've seen, most Beretta owners are gun fans in general and are open to trying new or different types of pistols and usually have a lot of different brands and types of pistols from different eras and we're pretty eclectic people.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links