Have you noticed this about guns... - Page 8

Have you noticed this about guns...

This is a discussion on Have you noticed this about guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO For example, its seems like the guys who are "pros" at the ccw game carry a professional type pistol. Those who ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed this about guns...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    For example, its seems like the guys who are "pros" at the ccw game carry a professional type pistol. Those who are new fall for the gimmacks or the flash and fancy names.
    I'm curious about which guns are the ones you consider "flashy" or "gimmicky".

Does this come down to "professional-type pistols" are 1911s, and GLOCKs, HKs, XDs are "flashy and gimmicky"?

I don't know how valid it is to judge whether someone's CCW gun is "professional" or "flashy/gimmicky" -- if it works for him, it works for him. Is it reliable, concealable, reasonably powerful, has good capacity, is durable, comfortable...? I mean, unless you're saying that the "flashy/gimmicky" guns are in some way inferior, junky, or not up to the job... what's really being asked?

I guess I'm not a part of any "crowd" except the buy-as-many-as-you-can club.

Before your government bans them
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't know how valid it is to judge whether someone's CCW gun is "professional" or "flashy/gimmicky"
    Same as how can I judge someone who's signature states he is both 'rational' and an 'idealist'...

It's impossible and you know it.

IMO, flashy gimmick guns are D'Eagles...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The sig line is from a Rush song. I like it. It's not a personal summary or something.

I wasn't trying to challenge, just query. I read further and saw that people meant stuff like laser grips (which I see from various threads seem to be pretty darned popular here) and other stuff that really goes toward the idea of making a lazy, non-practiced shooter "better."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'm curious about which guns are the ones you consider "flashy" or "gimmicky".

Does this come down to "professional-type pistols" are 1911s, and GLOCKs, HKs, XDs are "flashy and gimmicky"?

I don't know how valid it is to judge whether someone's CCW gun is "professional" or "flashy/gimmicky" -- if it works for him, it works for him. Is it reliable, concealable, reasonably powerful, has good capacity, is durable, comfortable...? I mean, unless you're saying that the "flashy/gimmicky" guns are in some way inferior, junky, or not up to the job... what's really being asked?

Flashy would be the D'eagles or anything that is decoration over function. It could also be the guys who have all kinds of stuff done to the gun just for the sake of saying they have had the work done to it. Most people will never shoot a pistol to its full stock potential, but yet they insist on aftermarket this and that. I question why.
    The gimmicky- I wont name names but it drives me nuts when a pistol maker drives it sales with clever marketing and goofy ads, then people fall for it and buy the product in droves. Instead of letting the pistol gain its rep. through time they push it off the shelves with names and ads designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The pistol I have in mind could make it on its own, its the gimmacks behind it that drive me nuts.

Oh yeah, two on your pro list isnt on mine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My hubby likes all the new ones with the add ons. I like my 5 shot revolver. Simple machine. Put a bullet in the chamber, get a bang. Hubby keeps saying he wants to get me a Springfield XD like his....if he does fine, but I usually smile and say "Yes, dear. That would be nice." I don't push it because I like my revolver. To me it is a reliable tool. He did get me a new purse.....a "fatboy". He says it is not really a purse, but it is to me. I do love that.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I like a good quality piece that feels good in my hands, with no bells or whistles that I know will go bang everytime I pull the trigger. My G27 and XD-40 both meet and exceed those expectations.

To be hones the only 1911 I have any desire to own is a Mil-Spec, just something about that gun that I like. Just my 2 cents and Nickel (fuel surcharge for my opinion

The first pistol I bought was a 1st generation Walther P99 -- suppose because James Bond got all the girls. Actually I found (and still find) the ergonomics exceptional (variable backstraps, ambidextrous mag release, slide release, decocker and natural pointing).

You don't find many P99s discussed around here, but I still love it.

Now I often carry a Kahr PM9, and it was chosen for the size and feel, and it has been 100% reliable so far.

My next will probably be an XD40 or Glock 23 just so I can try a different brand and caliber.

Not sure that I fall easily into any particular "camp".

Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And that Glock guys are typically knife guys, and 1911 style guys are flashlight guys.
    I guess I kind of straddle those classifications. I don't currently own a 1911 platform (I do want another one though....I have owned several) but do own and carry every day a Glock 23. I am a knife guy too, with around 15 knives that I own and I am a flashlight guy too! I own about 12 flashlights currently counting the Surefire G2 that I found in the Wal-Mart parking lot a month or two ago ! It looks brand new and works perfectly by the way!

So, I'm not sure what class I fall into. Maybe I don't fit perfectly into any class. My Mom always told me dealing with me was like attempting to put a square peg in a round hole!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like a pistol that is small, reliable and easy to conceal. My Kahr p9 covers all the bases. I have an SA XD40sc that I carry sometimes. I like the extra magazine capacity that it has, but sometimes it feels just a little bit too big. I am waiting on a Seecamp LWS .32. I would imagine I will carry that one a lot due to its size and concealability. I don't know what class I fall in to, but I'm 5'6" so being not that large I guess smaller pistols are more comfortable.

I am 31 and have owned over 92 handguns in the last 10 years. I always seemed to migrate back to the Glock mid or compact sized weapons. I have owned the expensive Para LDA CCO and the less expensive Kel-Tec P11. Currently I have converted to the S&W M&P 40C and a Kel-tec P3AT as my daily carry. I own a ton of knives, and a couple of flashlights along with an Insight Tech XML for my M&P. I have learned of a newer manufacture that seems to have taken the Kel-Tec line of pistols, upgraded the manufacturing as far as quality and added a few extras and lowered the price. They are called Skyy. they have a 9mm out right now that is almost identical to the Kel-Tec P11 with allot of attention paid to the feeding ramp and added a external thumb safety and lightened the trigger pull a bunch. It is retailing for $299 here in Oklahoma. As soon as they come out with a 380 I will be getting one of them.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

VIP Member
    Okay... I'll fes-up. I'm carrying my 1911 almost exclusively leaving the Glocks at home BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN I'M OLD!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    I love my 1911's. If I could, I'd carry one all the time. Thats is pretty much the only limit the boss sets on what I can carry. He is afraid of what ho doesnt understand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I carry a 1911 type SA Champ loaded, a HK USP F or a NAA derringer. They all are tools to me. I carry em cause they work well enough for me to put bullets where I want em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I love my 1911's. If I could, I'd carry one all the time. Thats is pretty much the only limit the boss sets on what I can carry. He is afraid of what ho doesnt understand.
    At least your boss lets you carry. My new job doesn't allow any weapons on company property.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links