Have you noticed this about guns...

This is a discussion on Have you noticed this about guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I know this might end up in a heated debate; but thats not my intention, so lets try to be adults and have fun ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Administrator

OK, I know this might end up in a heated debate; but thats not my intention, so lets try to be adults and have fun with this.

I've noticed that certain personality types and or experiance levels seem to flock to certain brands or types of carry guns. I wonder if you guys have noticed this, and what is your perceptions?
    For example, its seems like the guys who are "pros" at the ccw game carry a professional type pistol. Those who are new fall for the gimmacks or the flash and fancy names. There are other things I've noticed too, but I'll keep them under my hat for now.

Again, have fun with this thread- nothing should be taken personal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The tactical tommy crowd looks down their nose at you because you carry a bone stock model and not a 2K+ weapon with tactical in the name with every gun rag, name brand bell and whistle available.

Last I checked they both make the same sized hole and it is all about where you put those holes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The tactical tommy crowd looks down their nose at you because you carry a bone stock model and not a 2K+ weapon with tactical in the name with every gun rag, name brand bell and whistle available.

Last I checked they both make the same sized hole and it is all about where you put those holes.
    LOL, Exactly what I was talking about! A lot of guys I know swear you'll be dead if you dont hit the street with the latest and greatest, but a lot of the seasoned guys I know are wicked with their 20 year old M36 with pits and the bluing long worn off.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I would agree to a certain extent. Guns are similar to cars in a way - you can probably guess a few things about someone based on what they carry. Of course, like all generalizations, there will be plenty of exceptions, but I see what you're getting at.

A few gross examples:

"Game" style competition shooter = some sort of 1911 with a lot of bells and whistles that make it faster, possibly to the detriment of “carryability/concealability”

Budget minded guy who thinks his gun is simply a tool, and doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of time or inclination to get into the minutia of them = a Ruger auto pistol

An "old school" cop from way back when = a K frame (or similar) revolver

To echo SIXTO - just making some very broad observations - nothing meant as offensive or inflammatory
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would agree to a certain extent. Guns are similar to cars in a way - you can probably guess a few things about someone based on what they carry.
    Interesting, I hadnt thought of it that way but I think your right. Cars have long been thought of as an extension of a persons (guys ) personality. Guns are too to an extent.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like the KISS theory of firearm ownership. If it is not broke don't fix it.

Ditto on Guns & Cars...

You can also tell a bit about how clean each is kept! As far as a type of weapon...heck, if you're good with stones and a sling...go for it...it worked for David!

He chose a sling when he could have had a Glock Sword (Glock made swords back then, didn't they?)

Good points though...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm a gun nut. A young one at that. I like pretty, flashy, mall ninja'd out guns.

Would/do i carry one of them every day? Heck no. My favorite carry piece was my G17. It was a brick, and with 18 rounds it was heavy. Did I cry the couple of times it clattered across the parking lot? Nope. A carry weapon should be just that. It should work, be expected to get dents/scratches, and if you use it, you shouldn't be so attached to it that your heart will be broken while its in evidence.

My next purchase (to replace the cheapo that i carry right now(SW9VE/sigma that I have yet to have a malfuntion with over a couple thousand rounds)) Is going to be a SA1911 milspec.

What kind of person am I??? (cause i'm still trying to figure it out)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think guns can be an extension of one's personality.

Sixto, I agree with what you're saying. I use guns with pretty much the same platform or MOA. I've done that since going into LE (Obviously not as long as you Sixto-'94).

I have a Taurus PT145 that I thought would be my EDC, but I just can't get over the safety. I'm trading it for a gun that has the same MOA as the others.

I did buy a Para LW LTC recently, but after wringing it out, I don't think it's going to be my EDC. I also bought a G-19 the same time & shot them together.

Yes, the 1911 was VERY nice, but in all honesty, so was the Glock. & I didn't have to flick off a safety or worry about it getting bumped to "off."

I'm not saying the 1911 platform isn't good. I'm just saying that for ME it's not the best. The Glock is, & probably a XD, but I don't have one.

This will probably turn into an interesting thread.

CL01
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Assistant Administrator
    Don't know about ''pro'' but I am an old phart!

I am not into aesthetics a whole lot - frills bells and whistles are not my deal, unless you count my liking for CT grips.... otherwise it's what suits - me, and no one else. Happens to be my SIG. I could however manage with other quite regular and basic guns if need be.

If it feels good, shoots good and is reliable - that's my gun
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have noticed (may just be my mind) that Glock guys are typically knife guys, and 1911 style guys are flashlight guys.

Don't get me wrong, I like knives too, but when I see that uber-cool new flashlight, I am just drawn to it. I probably have as many flashlights as I do guns, but only a few knives.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

It's a fun thread Sixto!

I can see my progression in the past years.
    21 years old= P85, big ol' gun, and shiney
    30= Les Bear thunder ranch- Mmmmmm.
    31= Sig 220, Sig 228, Glock 19, lots of rounds
    33= EMP Something new, Glock 23 that I fixxed up myself
    34(Today) carry the 19 or 23 without thought.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I've only been in the free world for six years so I'm still new to guns IMO, although I own a fair few I am still working out what I like and what I don't with each purchase.

Currently what I like is utilitarian pieces that I don't mind getting dinged. I've said it a lot on here, guns are tools to me - not investments or fashion statements.

When I buy a new tool, say a 12" miter saw, I look at all of them. I compare cost, features, implied reliability (even the best can make lemons) and durability.
    Then I buy the one nearest to best in all categories.
    I own tools by Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Bosch. I don't just buy all my tools from one company as they have different specialties - Bosch make the best jigsaws, Makita make the best impact drivers. You could argue that Festool makes far better tools but as they cost 3 or 4 times as much I don't know, I have a limit on how much I pay on work tools that will get used hard.
    Same with guns.
    I don't think there is one company that makes the best in all platforms. So I buy what I think is the best at a price that I can justify.

All said, I guess I am someone who buys too many guns and as such is probably in some category or other, but the one I put myself in is open minded - I don't say any gun is better or worse based on just prejudice.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm still young, 22 years old. I like guns that work, and that I can shoot well. I used to think Glocks were plain and ugly, so I never really cared for them, until I fondled one in a gun shop, which was the Glock 19. The G19 is now my everyday carry. I actually prefer black/blued finish on pistols. I love the Tennifer finish that Glock uses, its a tough one.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Great thread!

I'm a 50-year-old geezer who's been shooting all my life.

I like revolvers best. Smith & Wesson K and N frames, Colt Detective Specials and even the old New Service. For auto-loaders I'll take the 1911 and the Hi-Power in that order. None other need apply. I stuck my toe into the aluminum alloy, plastic, DAO pistol world with the acquisition of a KelTec P3AT and that's more than enough of that for me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links