My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added

This is a discussion on My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; George, that is one fine looking little pistol. Wish they weren't so hard to find. Maybe one day I'll stumble across one....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added

George, that is one fine looking little pistol. Wish they weren't so hard to find. Maybe one day I'll stumble across one.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Mini Range Report

Thursday afternoon in the heat, I had the opportunity to put about 40 rounds through the Mustang. I didn't start out too good. The first round produced a FTE. I cleared that and the next few rounds were OK. Then the next to the last round in the mag produced a FTE. I was firing Winchester White Box which has a flat nose and I have had some difficulty with other .380 pistols when using this ammo.

So I changed to some Sellier & Bellot which is a round nose round and had no problems. I used a few American Eagle rounds which are also round nose with no problems. I then proceeded to load 6 WWB in the mag and fired them with no problem. Just to make sure it was not a fluke I fired another mag of WWB. Still no problems. If you read Teak's post above you notice that he knows the history of this pistol and said it had one mag put through it and then sat on the former owner's night stand. After that mag was fired the pistol was not cleaned. I cleaned it when I got it. Evidently the pistol just was tight or hasn't been broken in enough yet. I will put another 50 or 60 rounds through this week end and see what happens.

My shooting with the Mustang was awful. That is my fault. I can't place any blame for that on the pistol at this point. I am in the process of trying to change my dominant eye. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have seen the suggestion that a piece of tape in front of the left eye on your shooting glasses will force you to focus with your right eye. I was trying this today. I was focusing with my right eye, but I was also bothered by the tape over the left eye. A number of times I was not really focused on the front sight. My right eye kept going out of focus for a second or two. When this happens as you are pulling the trigger you tend to lose concentration and the pistol will move. Next time I will shoot a couple of mags without the tape so I can see how I shoot with the Mustang.

More info later.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Hope the little fella continues to feed well for you. Did you polish the feedramp and/or chamber before shooting or just field strip and clean it? Thanks for the heads up on the WWB profile, I'll keep that in mind for the PPK.

Good luck working out the new shooting technique, I can only imagine how difficult it's got to be trying to switch over.
    Jack

NICE PISTOLA ya got there George!! Sayy I've been looking for one of those... Hmmmm if you don't like it............just send it my way... LOl....I'll find a nice warm place for it...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Hope the little fella continues to feed well for you. Did you polish the feedramp and/or chamber before shooting or just field strip and clean it? Thanks for the heads up on the WWB profile, I'll keep that in mind for the PPK.

Good luck working out the new shooting technique, I can only imagine how difficult it's got to be trying to switch over.
    Jack
    Jack, I just did a field strip and clean. I have never polished a feedramp. When you are right handed left eye dominant you learn very quickly to be very careful about doing things which cannot be reversed so I've never tried a feedramp. What do you use to polish it?

On the WWB most have the flat on the nose.
    But the only trouble I have had is with .380s pistols that have the locked breach and are blowback operated don't have any trouble with them. My Makarov and the wife's Bersa eat it like candy. My FI International Model D Pony and the Mustang have had some issues with it. By the way in both the Pony and the Mustang the flat bottom of the brass catches on the flat part of the of the next round as the slide starts forward causing the slide to stop. Since the PPK is a locked breach, blowback type pistol it will probably have no trouble. The Kel-Tec P3AT would probably have a ton of problems with it. [ADDED] Jack, I just looked at the Winchester ammo site and evidently I am not the only one having trouble with the .380 flat nose FMJ. It is no longer in their inventory. The only WWB FMJ .380 is the round nose. Problem solved. The round nose version has the same part number as is shown on the box above - Q4206.

I am going to change one thing about the retraining of the dominant eye. I am going to take the tape off the left lens of the shooting glasses and get a piece of this plastic film that adheres to any surface and put it on instead. The tape prevents me from seeing directly in front of the eye, but I can see above and below it. This causes my focus to shift from the right eye on the front sight to the left eye and something around the edge. The film will keep me from focusing with the left eye since the entire lens will be covered. I will still see out the left lens, but won't be able to focus because the vision will be blurred.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; June 29th, 2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: To add remark.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

A good metal polish lke FLITZ will do it... by hand or dremel it with the polish litely....
    Last edited by artz; June 29th, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Sometimes folks use ambiguous descriptions of problems. Might your failure to feed be a failure to eject? Limatunes posted a great series of instructions and pics on how to solve the failure to eject problem. I mention this because you said the gun had not been cleaned. Per Limatunes, the extractor needs to be removed and cleaned about every 5 times to the range. That fits with my experience.

So, once the extractor is cleaned, mine at least is absolutely flawless.

There is also a funky issue with the ejector. I can't recall if Limatunes posted the solution here or by p.m. When putting the slide back after cleaning, you need to be careful to not depress the ejector too far. Sometimes it will rotate too far and jam up. There are instructions for solving the problem in the booklet that came with the gun, but again, Limatunes has provided detailed photos and instuctions. I can't recall if they are posted here or if she sent them by pm. If you need them, I can email my file--may Ms. Tunes can repost the pics too.

JD
    Administrator
    Lima's pics and brief write up are HERE

I will add that "our" Mustang +II has an unusual issue, it feeds JHPs wonderfully, but with ball ammo, I need to load the mag 1 less than full capacity to get it to feed right, NOW THAT IS WIERD.

A good detail strip and cleaning can do wonders, our Mustang was bought used, and the first range trip out it was a jam-o-matic, I ordered a new set of Wolf springs for the mags and that cleared up the issues. I also replaced the recoil spring. If your going to replace the springs, get the factory standard not the enhanced power springs. Stick to factory spec.

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    A good metal polish lke FLITZ will do it... by hand or dremel it with the polish litely....

That's the way I'd do it as well. Dab on a little Flitz and use the felt polishing wheels on your dremel.

I wasn't aware the flat point was that abrupt on the WWB, I can see where those could cause problems. I priced some .380 WWB this morning - circa $24 per 100 rd. value pack at WallyWorld! Glad Midway carries ammo. As it is I bought 2 value pack of 9mm and it set me back $35, that hurt bad enough.
    Jack

Nice pistol dr_cmg .
    Been thinkin' about getting one myself.

VIP Member
    Sorry, folks, but when I put FTE I meant failure to eject. Of course it is impossible to eject the brass when it is pinned into the chamber by the following round. My wife and I fired the Mustang again today and she had a couple of stovepipes. I had already decided that I was going to search Lima's thread on cleaning the extractor. A faulty extractor could have caused my problem if it did not extract the brass and the wife's problem with the stovepiping. We shall see.
    George

George, when I first got mine, she did the same thing because she was hardly shot and a safe queen. Now since I own her, I shoot her alot, she doesn't FTE anymore...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    It is very very easy to clean the extractor. Just be extra careful to not let the firing pin and firing pin spring fly across the room (and disappear) when you remove the plate holding them in place. Again, I'm just passing on what Limatunes posted. Her advice sure stopped the stovepipe, FTE, stuff I was experiencing. I'm grateful to her.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is very very easy to clean the extractor. Just be extra careful to not let the firing pin and firing pin spring fly across the room (and disappear) when you remove the plate holding them in place. Again, I'm just passing on what Limatunes posted. Her advice sure stopped the stovepipe, FTE, stuff I was experiencing. I'm grateful to her.
    Got it done last night. No problem with the firing pin. The plate was extremely tight and required a great deal of work to get off. When I was ready to put things back together I turned the plate around and it worked much easier. Tried it the way it was originally and could just get it started by hand. Needless to say I put it in the easy way. I checked the manual and on line but could not discover anything that said not to do it. It appears to be identical on each side, but there was something causing it to be very tight one way and snug the other. I wondered about Lima's strength when I looked at the pictures of her removing hers. I had to use a cloth and pliers to get it the fraction of an inch.

I won't have an opportunity to try it again until Monday. We'll see what happens.
    George

VIP Member
    Nice looking gun there George...good luck with her!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links