My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added

This is a discussion on My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last August I went over to Georgia and did some shooting with Artz. One of his guns that I shot was his Colt Mustang. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added

VIP Member

My First Prancing Pony - mini range report added

Last August I went over to Georgia and did some shooting with Artz. One of his guns that I shot was his Colt Mustang. I have been looking for one since. I have found several, but the price was out of my league. I sort of gave up several months ago and picked up a FI Industries Model D Pony. It is OK, but not a Mustang. I have mentioned to a friend I was looking for one and today he called and asked if I was still interested. About 15 minutes later he brought this by the house.

Of course the next question was, "How much?" Well it turned out someone else had asked the friend if he knew anyone who wanted one and of course he thought of me. The guy who owned it really did not want money he wanted a Glock 9mm. I don't have any Glocks. My friend says, "Hey, I have a Glock 9mm and I want another in my caliber. I can let him have mine and you can get me one later." I thought that was a pretty good offer, but I was trying to avoid spending any money right now. Since I know his caliber is .357SIG I said, Why a Glock, why not a SIG." He looked at me like I was crazy and mumbled something about having to give me money. I said, "Maybe not." That got him. My SIG P239 in .357SIG is worth about what I see Mustangs for. Fortunately for me I got it at an unbelievable price. I am not using it since I started carrying the 10mm and my wife now has a Kahr, so I am now the proud owner of a Colt Mustang. Some time later this year I'll get me another SIG in .357SIG. I know where one is that is price right and comes from the factory with the laser.

It is in great shape. It has been fired very little and cleaned less. I cleaned it up this afternoon and there is no wear. I hope to shoot it tomorrow so I can post a range report.

Here are a couple of photos.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    My First Prancing Pony
    And hopefully, not your last.

Very nice pistola, George.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Congrats. A friend of mine raves about his. In fact it is his primary carry piece. I have shot it a couple of times and it is a sweet little shooter.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    Great and lucky find George - now you got the ''Ponyitis" I shall be wondering what is next LOL!

Look fwd to results from some range time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

alright George ! congrats !
    now order you up one of those back pocket holsters from K&D and you'll be set. If your looking for a front pocket holster, I have an unused spare in leather from ... the guy who mfg's the Detonics .45.
    (just can't recall his name...).
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    alright George ! congrats !
    now order you up one of those back pocket holsters from K&D and you'll be set. If your looking for a front pocket holster, I have an unused spare in leather from ... the guy who mfg's the Detonics .45.
    (just can't recall his name...).
    Just dropped an email to Kevin at K&D not 5 minutes ago. This deal worked out great because though I liked the SIG a great deal what I had invested in it made the trade a good one for all three of us. And I may have convert a Glockaholic to SIGitis.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Very cool. Maybe some day I can own one too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Your lucky I wasn't willing to come up off of one of my 9mm or the cash right now. You got lucky and got a very nice piece that has sat in the guys night stand since the day he bought it. It has had one, thats right, one mag through it in its entire lifetime!
    Oh I almost forgot, you didn't show the high dollar holster it came with
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    And I may have convert a Glockaholic to SIGitis.
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!! I will not let this happen, once you enter the cult you can not leave
    Pierce

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

It never hurts to have a few ponies in the stable. Great find. Congratulations to you! My brother-in-law has one of those and it's an accurate pistol that's fun to shoot.

OD*
    Congrats George
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Got many horse guns

Sam Colt is our friend.

Have one like that, and it shoots like a dream gun. You will love it.
    Also, have it's big brother the Colt Pocket Nine.

I need to get a holster for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    Your lucky I wasn't willing to come up off of one of my 9mm or the cash right now. You got lucky and got a very nice piece that has sat in the guys night stand since the day he bought it. It has had one, thats right, one mag through it in its entire lifetime!
    Oh I almost forgot, you didn't show the high dollar holster it came with
    Hey, Pierce, thanks for being so tight with the money. Call me or come by and I'll tell you what that SIG cost me, you won't believe it. By the way it had had one mag through it when I got it. The second mag was still in the plastic. The Hogues had already been put on it too.

Someone must have traded holsters it it was supposed to have a high dollar one with it. Oh, yeah, I get it. It was a high dollar holster: if you paid over a dollar for it you had to be high.
    George

Im gonna be out of town this weekend but Ill swing by the first of next week. I got a new key chain for you also, something just a tad bit smaller than the other one!
    Pierce

Nice score George, those Mustang's are hard to find at a reasonable price.
    Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links