What gun should i get my wife? - Page 2

What gun should i get my wife?

This is a discussion on What gun should i get my wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd HIGHLY recommend you show her a Kahr P9. It's designed from top to bottom for concealed carry and it's ideal for smaller/petite hands. The ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What gun should i get my wife?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd HIGHLY recommend you show her a Kahr P9. It's designed from top to bottom for concealed carry and it's ideal for smaller/petite hands. The grip is fantastic and the 9mm recoil is very modest. The weapon is less than an inch wide. The trigger is DAO only so it operates like a revolver, i.e., pull shoot pull shoot. No magazine disconnect. Good sights, etc.

Mine is EXTREMELY accurate with exceptionally smooth trigger pull. It'll carry 7+1 or 8+1 with the extended 2nd mag it comes with. They are one of the best built, most reliable autos out there. I waited and ordered one with the tungsten coated stainless slide and night sights and simply love it!

They make a Kahr P40 but it has quite a bit of muzzle flip and is a little sharp on the recoil.

The offer a Kahr PM9 which is the same weapon but shortens the grip reducing it to a two finger grip unless there's a grip on the mag. I think the P9 is best because it just allows for a three finger grip.

I can't say enough and although each person has to ultimately settle on what they'd like, I think more expreienced shooters can/should suggest quality arms tha have the characteristics we know they should be looking for.

Let's face it, a petite lady can shoot and carry a full size 1911, but for practical day to day use and carry, there isn't a real comparison. I think the Kahr P9 is perhaps one of the best concealed carry weapons currently on the market.

I've simply never had any malfunction with mine, of any kind.

Now I have a J frame S&W .38. It's nice but the double action pull is terrible and the cylndar bulk makes it as hard, if not harder to conceal than the Kahr.

About the only thing I could think about with the Kahr would be the strength needed to rack the slide. Now I don't think it would be a problem and if a person really couldn't rack the slide on a P9 then they're likely to have fits with the trigger pull on a J frame unless the pull the hammer back.

Just some thoughts....

Gideon

I agree with armored and Class3NH....let her pick it out. What a GREAT excuse to go to a gunshow! I've often made mention that picking a personal defense weapon is like finding a spouse: Sometimes you've ummmmm gotta "fondle" them a bit to see which one fits right. Make no mistake, she'll pick one and it might NOT be the one you expect, but it'll feel just as "right" to her as Excalibur did to the Boy King! Your challenge then is not to try and dissuade her to choose another gun YOU feel is easier to carry or shoot. So if she picks a 1911 Government Model, get it and THEN start looking for carry methods. That's what my wife chose....in fact she disavowed the Beretta M84 .380 her dad got her as soon as she fired my "Betsy!" I had to scramble to get her a Combat Commander .45 before we got into a "custody" battle over MY dang gun!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

let her pick it out but dont overlook the springfield xd subcompact when your looking..

Ohh and most the ladys i know do prefer to shoot a wheelie in 38 or 357

I wholeheartedly agree with letting her pick it out. Being in the biz that I am, I get to handle a bunch of guns of various sizes and styles. So when my wife said, "I want to get my CCW permit and carry my own gun," I started pulling out the guns. She wanted something small and easy to hold. After going through a number of guns, she ended up choosing the Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT.

Talking One Caveat...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man
    I wholeheartedly agree with letting her pick it out. Being in the biz that I am, I get to handle a bunch of guns of various sizes and styles. So when my wife said, "I want to get my CCW permit and carry my own gun," I started pulling out the guns. She wanted something small and easy to hold. After going through a number of guns, she ended up choosing the Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT.
    Okay, I just thought of this: There is, IMHO a caveat to "letting HER choose HER gun" and that is that in my experience as an instructor (I'm NOT being sexist here) the ladies have a tendency to go for what's "cute" and "small." That usually means an ineffective gun in a mouse sized caliber. Can't let her do that, because a mouse caliber requires super accuracy under extreme stress. The minimum caliber has go to be a 9mm. You can make up for a lot of the power factor in bullet configuration. So if she likes the Kel-Tec 32 try and steer to a Kel-Tec 9mm. I personally HATE the Kel-Tec line except for the sub-2000 folding carbine in .40 S&W. But it's not a bad product all in all.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex I agree with what you are saying...

... but for a lot of people it's small and cute or they don't want one at all.

If I were to ask my extended family what the best caliber for CCW applications is, the number one answer would be .22 LR followed by .380 ACP.

Like I have any room to talk as Mr. 642.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links