What gun should i get my wife?

This is a discussion on What gun should i get my wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants to get her CCW license so she can carry a gun (bless her heart!) She is a petite 5'3 110 lbs, what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife wants to get her CCW license so she can carry a gun (bless her heart!) She is a petite 5'3 110 lbs, what do you guys & girls think i should get her? I was thinking maybe a small .38 cal revolver. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thx!
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Actually, don't just buy her one. Let HER pick it out. I went through 4 revolvers with my wife before we realized a wheelie was not her cup of tea, and four autos before she found her CZ2075 RAMI 9mm.. Also, snubs are harder for newbies to shoot, regardless of how easy they are to carry. An auto may be easier, but the easist way to find out is hit the local indoor range, and rent different pistols. Size can really be immaterial, as I knew a small woman who easily concealed a Taurus 44 Spl.
    Is she a shooter, or a beginner? Since you have the Hk logo in your avatar, maybe a nice P7.....if you have an extra $1,500 laying about....
    Don't forget to spend 1/4 the purchase price on good leather = garbage holsters hold like garbage.....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I areee with Armored.. Let HER pick it out.........see what she thinks about it's weight, feel a,d how it's going to handle in her hands. Personally, I LOVE the P7, and so does my wife. very easy to get into a cocked position <squeze away> and de-cock it as easily. You can find the Police trades being imported now, for cheaper money, and they're as good as a new one too. One added Benifit to the P7 is the fact of being able to disarm the weapon, by removing the firing pin assy from the rear <you need the tool> but this also serves as a defense against "having a unsecured weapon around the house" You can leave a round in the chamber, full mag in the weapon, and sueeze til the cows come home, and nothing will happen.
    Like K&K says "In a World of Compromise, some don't" I have a few P7's and a lot of other stuff also.........BUT SHE has to make the decision. If she doesn't like what you get for her, she'll not carry it.

Thanks for the info. Yep, she's a shooter, she's gone with me to the range & has shot my AR, .45, 9mm & my friends AK. She needs more shooting time, but she knows the basics. I'm going to take her to the range so she can test out some toys.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

How about a Lightweight SA 4" Compact? or a Kimber CDP.or 4" compact ?? in a lightweight frame? If she's shot a 45, then she's preety good with a weapon.. my wife shoots my MAC, UZI, MP5's and the Colt 16's and a few other goodies too. She's shot most everything I have.

be careful about what she tries out. my wife seems to like every gun she tries. the major problem with that is, some of them are mine . i then have to buy her one like it so i can use mine. the best advice has been given. let HER pick out the one she likes

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Class3 makes a good point. If she has smaller hands, why not take avantage of some recent technology and let her fire a slimmed down Glock in .45 GAP.

I hate to sound sexist (yeah, right) but women love those Glocks. My wife thinks it's the non-metallic feel, the ease of take-down and the fact that the polymer grip blunts some recoil.

I personally have a Glock 27 with a grip extender. My wife has no qualms about picking that up, despite her dislike for most automatics.

Your wife has to live with her choice. Let her pick, help her with the details and encourage her to practice.

JT
    My wife started out with a Ruger P89. She later switched to a Glock 19. As soon as she tried a Glock she liked it a lot more than the Ruger. And this was even trying a Glock 23 (40 cal) versus the Ruger in 9mm. I sold the P89 and bought her a model 19.
    Last edited by JT; May 3rd, 2005 at 01:46 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Tourist is right on the money
    The Glock 45 GAP might be just the ticket for her. Good stopping power, yet not as hot as the others. The smaller 1911 frames might be a good choice too. Gotta get her out there and see what she likes. Touble is, women are VERY visual, and it HAS to APPEAL to HER LOL......

A little off topic, and I'm not picking on you Wyatt, but where did this stereotype of women liking .38 snubnose revolvers start? I only know one woman that likes revolvers period.

If anything .22 caliber semiautomatics such as the Ruger Mark II, compact service pistols, and 1911s seem to be the stereotypical guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    A little off topic, and I'm not picking on you Wyatt, but where did this stereotype of women liking .38 snubnose revolvers start? I only know one woman that likes revolvers period.

If anything .22 caliber semiautomatics such as the Ruger Mark II, compact service pistols, and 1911s seem to be the stereotypical guns.
    No reason, i just thought of it because she's a small girl & she thinks that my H&K 9mm comp is a "too big for my hands.." as she puts it. So if that's too big, i gotta find something else.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Maybe a 3913 Ladysmith might be the setup for her.......9MM and smaller grip frame for a woman.....hence "Lady Smith"

my wife got introducted to pistols via a .22 and abotu tenminutes later stole one of my 1911's and has never looked back. She stands 5'3 113lbs. She loves all 1911's and now has several of her own.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    I agree with those that have said to let her pick it out. I would sit her down and try to get a good idea what her preferences were, if you don't already and then take around to several different gun shops, ranges, etc and let her pick up, inspect, feel and maybe shoot some that she likes. She will then have the information she needs to make the right choice.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

The bit about .38 snubs may be a stereotype, but in the case of my wife, it is also true. I had her try .38 spl, .357 Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, and we shot a .22LR conversion on a CZ-75 frame. She loves wheel guns. She hates semi-autos. She loves a J-frame revolver in .38 spl. What she would really love is a J-frame revolver with a 3" barrel and the smooth action of a particular Ladysmith she once handled. I'm doing my best to set her up with one.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links