New Toy

This is a discussion on New Toy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a P3AT today. I've been wanting to get one for a while and finally did. I compared it to a S&W revolver and ...

Thread: New Toy

New Toy

I bought a P3AT today. I've been wanting to get one for a while and finally did. I compared it to a S&W revolver and baby glocks. They were all too big for my taste. I can put this in my pocket when I don't want to or can't carry something larger. It is the hard chromed version. I wasn't sure if I wanted this one b/c I read that the barrel is chromed as well and this slows velocity but i didn't want problems with blueing either so...

I went home and loaded up the mag with DPX and they won't chamber. I guess it needs some polishing and maybe a trip to the factory. I've heard they are pretty good about making them work. I'm going to take it to the range and shoot some FMJ through it first, that may loosen things up.

I think I may go with a FIST pocket holster depending on how long the wait is.

2. Remove Ads

I like the ppk/s for pocket carry but thats besides the point. Those guns require at least 300 rounds to break in so I would head to the range and have fun with it. Take a lot of lube--they are thirsty guns from what I hear and read online.

Great choice for a pocket gun. Take a look at a KRat pocket holster from Pale Holster, work great with the P3AT. Clean it, lube it and shoot it , if it gives you problems after a reasonable break in period, then contact Keltec.

They have excellent customer service.

I have a bersa and have looked at a PPK but both are too heavy for me to pocket carry in the lightweight pants I wear. they flop around too much.

I will look for that holster. I just picked up an Uncle Mike pocket holster from a local shop a few minutes ago but it is too big so I'm going to try and return it.

I'm going to take the gun apart and give it a good cleaning. It came with a bottle of something. I haven't looked yet, I think it is a lube of some sort.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    You're gonna find lots of rough spots when you take that
    puppy apart.

Here's a site with lots of info on how to "Fluff and Buff" your
    new gat.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I won't need to do anything to it. Everything feels really smooth inside. The only thing that needs to be taken care of is the stuff in the barrel. It looks like lead sticking from the rifleing. If I have problems I will probably send it to kel-tec. I really can't see a reason why the DPX doesn't want to load. It will after some persuasion.

I have a question for those of you that have them. My slide looks like it sits a little high at the front of the gun, it can be pressed down and then it just springs back up. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I have a bersa and have looked at a PPK but both are too heavy for me to pocket carry in the lightweight pants I wear. they flop around too much.

I will look for that holster. I just picked up an Uncle Mike pocket holster from a local shop a few minutes ago but it is too big so I'm going to try and return it.

I'm going to take the gun apart and give it a good cleaning. It came with a bottle of something. I haven't looked yet, I think it is a lube of some sort.
    I had a P3AT for a little while and if I remember right, an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster works well with those. You can make it work with a #1 if you really insist but it'll come loose sometimes, the #1 is meant for 22's and 25's.

I swapped it for a #2 today and it fits. I think I am going to get a Fist pocket holster made. I like the thumb push thing they put on theirs. This Uncle Mikes comes out with the gun if you don't manage to get it seperated while it is in your pocket. Also the Uncle Mikes is make like a rectangle so the butt of the gun makes a new line that looks like a gun in your pocket.

Congrats myusername on the P3AT. I really do like mine. Mine has been 100% from day one, but some do have some teething problems. I carry the DPX in mine all of the time and it works fine. I have confirmed that it works, but it is not a round that I shoot a lot of. It is a pretty stout round for the P3.
    sass20485, gave you some good advise on the KRat. Here are a couple pics of it.

I would also check out K&D Holsters (http://kdholsters.com/). They make great pocket holsters for the P3 as well as some nice custom holsters. Here is a couple pics of the Custom IWB Defender they make for me. Kevin does some very fine work!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I really can't see a reason why the DPX doesn't want to load. It will after some persuasion.
    DPX is hollowpoint? My p3at doesn't want to go into battery with hollow points either but on the range it works fine. The nose of hollow points get hung up on the feed ramp when you chamber the round and it needs some pushing to get it up there.

Try it on the range. It might work fine like mine does.

I cleaned it up and lubed it really well and loaded it up with Pow'r Balls. I wanted to carry it in my pocket this evening to see how it felt. I don't even know its there. It feels like it weighs less than my blackberry when its in my pocket. I'm going to try to get to the range next week so I can put it through its paces and make sure its reliable.

Thanks for the pics and links. I like that clip on belt holster with the cant built in. I may pick one up. I've been looking online at all the different pocket holsters and the Fist is the only one I've found that has the ledge to push the holster off with. Does the K-Rat come out of your pocket when you draw the gun? I can't get this uncle mikes to come off the gun when I try to draw.

Who makes that slip on grip? Is that the small hogue?

The DPX is hollowpoint, from everything I've seen it goes the deepest and reliably expands. I carry it in my other guns and want to use it in this one if I can. I may go with Golden Sabres if they feed, I think they have a more rounded nose and they perform well too.

I just got my P3AT used with two mags both with the +1 pinky extension, it is a 2nd gen. Whoever traded it in was a shooter, and it had the feed ramp polished already. I am a huge fan of the DPX round and carry it in all my weapons. It was out of stock so I got the 102 gr Golden Sabers. I have snuffed off the .380 for a defensive round for years, but new job is a "no carry" posted building, so I needed a smaller carry gun so I opted for this P3AT. I AM IMPRESSED! Very accurate with the golden saber and feeds every round like it was designed for that load. I will stick with them for the 380, and keep the DPX in my M&P.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Links