RM380, LCP, or TCP

RM380, LCP, or TCP

This is a discussion on RM380, LCP, or TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at getting a little 380 for summer carry. I've only shot the LCP. Which would you pick and why? I know all about Remington's ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: RM380, LCP, or TCP

RM380, LCP, or TCP

Looking at getting a little 380 for summer carry. I've only shot the LCP. Which would you pick and why? I know all about Remington's issues with the R51. I'm curious about the RM380 though. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?
    Also, if you have one of these, how do you carry it / what holster? I have an Alien Gear IWB for my other carry gun but I figured this might require something different.
    Thanks for your input.

VIP Member
    None of the Above. Check out a Kahr CW380 before you buy.
    Zredwire, RolandD and Old Man like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Kahr CW380 or CT380
    Zredwire, RolandD and Old Man like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Two TCP's in the family . Both are C series and a few years behind them and have been very reliable with great trigger pulls . If a little more control is wanted look at the kahr but the CT380 . Still small and thin but a better pistol with a little more of everything .
    RolandD and Old Man like this.

Have carried a TCP for a couple years now in a Galco IWB holster or in a smartcarry when I needed deep concealment. Much, much, much better trigger than the Ruger. Never shot the kahr, so can't comment. But I do love the little Taurus.

I've never looked into Kahr. I'll have to do some research. Why do you suggest it over the others?

RM380, LCP, or TCP

I picked up a RM380 a few weeks ago. I have 200 rounds through it so far, 150 cheap steel cased FMJ rounds and 50 Remington JHP. So far I haven't had any problems.

I stayed away from small .380's in the past because they have always been difficult for me to shoot. Then one day a couple weeks back I decided I needed one "just because."

I went with the RM 380. I wanted a steel frame .380 that was hammer fired and the Remington seemed like a good choice. It took me a box of ammo and a bunch of dry firing to get used to the trigger, but every trip to the range the groups get tighter.

The trigger pull on my handgun is very smooth rite from the start, it is also very long. I am currently carrying in a pocket using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Have not looked to see what else is out there.

Just edited to add that the few times I've had the RM 380 at the range it was over 80 degrees out. As you can see in the pic, my hand is quite large in comparison with the pistol. That combined with sweat made the handgun "squirmy" in my hand both when shooting with one hand or both. I'm going to try either skate board tape or a hunk of bike inner tube, but have not done so yet.
    Last edited by yooper71; September 29th, 2016 at 01:58 AM.
    TeflonDon and Old Man like this.

Distinguished Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    For the money I would go with the LCP. I picked up a Custom recently for $219.99 plus tax. It has a good trigger out of the box but I replaced the factory recoil spring with a 13# Wolff and installed the Ft. Wayne Tactical 3 spring set. This brought the trigger pull to a smooth 4.5 lbs. It has been totally reliable from day one with about 400 rounds of different stuff so far. Lightweight and easy to carry in a Blackhawk #1 pocket holster.

Or my $189 Kel-Tec P-32 loaded with .32 ACP Underwood Cavitators. Don't look back.
    Name:  P-32_ size.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  41.6 KB
    Old Man, Instymp and drmordo like this.
    Kel-Tec P32
    In front pocket, always!

Of the three you mentioned I would get the LCP. If your open to others then I recommend the Kahr CW380. I chose the Kahr as it was the closest (function wise) to my other larger pistols. It has sights than can be changed out; it locks back after the last round; and the take down is very similar to my other guns. The Kahr also has a very nice trigger. In fact the trigger is one of the main things Kahr is known for. It is a rather long double action pull but it is extremely smooth, pretty light, and very crisp.
    RolandD, Old Man and Instymp like this.

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    LCP. $200 bucks nowadays and as reliable and durbale as you can get in a gun that size, from my experience.
    mbschne and Instymp like this.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

LCP. Remington, Kel Tec, and Taurus have had too many QC issues.
    Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    LCP Custom
    Old Man and Instymp like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

People are going to suggest what they currently own. With that said, I'll go out on s limb and say that if they owned all three, they'd choose the RM380. I own a TCP that I chose over the LCP. The LCP has the worse trigger of the three. The LCP also does NOT have last round hold open, and it only comes with one mag. Factory mags add about $25 cost plus the cost of a pinky extension if you want one.

The RM380 is damn near the same size and weight as the others despite having an aluminum frame AND a stainless slide. It comes with 2 mags (one with an pinky extension and one without). Also has ambidextrous mag release, undercut trigger guard, removable grips. The build quality just feels better than the LCP and the TCP IMHO.

I owned a Sig P238, TCP, and I have my RM380 on my side as I type this. Sold the Sig to fund another purchase, and I've long sense have stopped carrying the Taurus.
    Old Man and yooper71 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC View Post
    I've never looked into Kahr. I'll have to do some research. Why do you suggest it over the others?
    IMO,much better trigger, less perceived recoil, and points better. I wasn't even considering Kahr until I shot one.
    Old Man likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links