New Walther PPS

New Walther PPS

This is a discussion on New Walther PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a search on here and didn't find much so I thought I would post a link to the new Walther handgun. Looks like it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPS

New Walther PPS

Did a search on here and didn't find much so I thought I would post a link to the new Walther handgun. Looks like it will be a winner. About the same size as the PPK. Only 1" thin. Offered in 9mm (July) and .40 later this year.

Included are 6 and 7 round mag with 8 available for purchase (9mm). For .40, 5 and 6 included with 7 available for purchase.

Will be getting one but may wait to see how others like them.

http://www.waltheramerica.com/webapp...04&isFirearm=Y
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Looks interesting

This appears to be a fairly slim, single stack polymer 9mm, with .40 coming in a couple of months. The size appears to be in the same league with the Kahr P9/P40/P45 or the Glock 36, roughly 1 inch thick with a barrel slightly over 3 inches long. I think Walther will sell a few of these, as there is a good market for single stack, lightweight CCW guns that are easily concealed.

If those SWalthers would get rid of that stupid ambi magazine release I would have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    If those SWalthers would get rid of that stupid ambi magazine release I would have one.

Schwebel:

Guess everyone has opinions, but mine is precisely 180 degrees from yours on the ambi mag releases on the Walthers..

I have the compact P99c/AS and the full size P99/AS.. Both of my Walthers have been 100% reliable and amazingly accurate right out of the box.

One of the many special details I appreciate so much about the the Walther P99 series of pistols offer is in fact the dual mag releases incorporated into the lower part of the trigger guard.

Perhaps others might disagree, but I think these mag releases are light years an improvement over the convential types. I have found that my index finger slides perfectly to the slide release and I can make mag changes easier and faster with the Walther than I can any of my old style pistols.

YMMV

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Well, may I get your opinion on this, Laserlips? Please forgive me, but it requires some explanation.

For more than 20 years I've been looking for a nice pocket semiauto that works for me. I've tried many different ones, but have had various issues. (Nowadays, I've given up and I generally use a J-frame for this type of carry.)

One that continues to be a problem for me (a Southpaw) is that the push-button mag releases on most pocket autos are often tripped as I inadvertantly brush the (front-pointing in my strongside pocket holster) button against a hard object during the day. I've had this issue with FEGs, Walthers, Kahrs, Glocks, Kel-Tecs - shoot, many different guns. I've given up on this style of mag release, and have gone to Euro-style butt releases for the rare times when I carry a pocket auto.

That said, the PPS is oddly intriguing. If I understand correctly, the mag releases pivot down (as opposed to pushing in) to release the mag. In your opinion as someone who's used this type of release on other Walthers, might this release actually work for me, allowing me to use a pocket auto without fear of inadvertant mag release?

Quote Originally Posted by Erich;

That said, the PPS is oddly intriguing. If I understand correctly, the mag releases pivot [I
    down[/I] (as opposed to pushing in) to release the mag. In your opinion as someone who's used this type of release on other Walthers, might this release actually work for me, allowing me to use a pocket auto without fear of inadvertant mag release?

Erich:

First let me say I'm a lefty too....

I find the dual mag release levers on the bottom of both sides of the triggerguard extremely convenient, for me.... And yes, you push the level down with your trigger finger and the mags drop free.. I found my trigger finger naturally falls to the level position when I want to change mags, and it works great for my needs.

I don't see how inadvertant mag release would be a problem with the PPS, or my P99's... Or at least that potential problem is just a non-starter as I've never had that problem, and doubt you would.

For awhile I carried a KelTec P32 in a rear wallet DeSantis Trickster holster.. That setup had the disturbing habit of allowing my butt to push the mag. release just enough to activate it, and the mag would release and drop just slightly... "Slightly" was sufficiently enough to ruin my party, and now I carry a Seecamp LWS32 with the europeon type heel mag release. That sucker isn't going to accidentally release for sure.

If you are carrying your pistol in a holster of any type that covers the trigger, which I recommend, accidental mag release is simply not a concern.

I don't mind what other folks like, I'm a senior citizen and I've had firearms for over 50 years. I've pretty much tried 'em all, and imo the Walther P99's are the pick of the litter.

Another detail advertised as being a feature of the PPS is the red visual "cocked" indicator. Some folks don't care for that feature either, but it's very comforting to me to have it on a pistol.. In a glance you can see if the pistol is cocked or not, and in the dark you can touch the indicator with your finger and still know.

I may or may not eventually buy a PPS. I want the PPS to be on the market for some time to allow the new product "bugs" to develop and be fixed.. I don't care for a "Glocklike" or DAO trigger/striker, (I don't know which the PPS has), so I'd like to hold off to see if it is ever marketed in traditional DA/SA (Anti-stress) model, such as both of my P99's have.

Plus my P99c/AS is simply so good a firearm that I hate to think of relegating it to the shelf to be replaced by a pistol with less capacity and a trigger/striker system I don't care for.

Hope this helps.

J. Pomeroy

I have a Walther P99 and love everything about it. The PPS is definately on my wish list, along with a para lda black watch companion.You can't go wrong with a Walther, should be a hot seller.

-HK P2000SK LEM .40s&w
    -WALTHER P99 9mm
    -TAURUS 745 45acp
    -KEL-TEC P3AT .380

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to have to check the PPS out when it hits the shelves next month.

If you are carrying your pistol in a holster of any type that covers the trigger, which I recommend, accidental mag release is simply not a concern.
    Alas, that turns out not to be the case. I always use holsters that cover the trigger, and - as I note above - I've had this mag-drop problem with a wide variety of pocket autos for a couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to have to check the PPS out when it hits the shelves next month.

Alas, that turns out not to be the case. I always use holsters that cover the trigger, and - as I note above - I've had this mag-drop problem with a wide variety of pocket autos for a couple of decades.

Erich:

Sorry I didn't express my self clearly..

IF you use a holster with a Walther P99, or like pistol (PPS) accidental mag release problems should not occur.

Bet those old problems of accidental mag release didn't happen with a firearm where the mag release levers were located and designed in the way the Walther P99, PPS are.

By the very nature of the design of the bottom of the triggerguard mag release levers the levers themselves are "locked" in place by contact with the holster. As you pull the pistol from the holster your fingers shouldn' be near the mag release levers..

Your trigger finger "should" either be parallel to the trigger/striker parallel to the slide, or in the event you're an old fart like myself with bad habits your trigger finger will actually be inside the triggerguard, with no pressure on the trigger.

I'm not saying there is no way you are 100% guaranteed that accidental mag release can't happen, but whatever the odds are in favor of such a thing I'll bet you they are dramatically lower than the odds of the same problem happening with a conventional mag release.

Hey, my "previous" favorite pistol was a Sig P239. I reversed the mag. release button to accomodate my "leftiness", but never had a problem with accidental release.. My P99's simply have proven to be more accurate than the Sig, (and it is accurate), has the best grip ergonomics ever, the dual mag release levers I like, visual "cocked", and visual "chamber loaded" indicators, decocker integrated into the top left of the slide so no "snag" potential there... The P99c/AS offers two more rounds than the P239, and the P99/AS offers 15+1, or 16+1 capacity..

And the Sig P239 is IMO a top quality cc pistol.. It's just not as good as the Walthers for my needs.

Hope this helps.

J. Pomeroy

Ah! Now, I get it, PX!

Okay, I didn't understand that you were referring to pistols with this type of release. Sorry, amigo: I'm a little slow on Fridays sometimes!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Looks like a flare gun...I know, I'm shallow, but for me, looks count:)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Ah! Now, I get it, PX!

Okay, I didn't understand that you were referring to pistols with this type of release. Sorry, amigo: I'm a little slow on Fridays sometimes!

Erich:

No problem..

I start out slow on Mondays and wind down from there...

Have a great weekend!

PX

Oohhh, I like that. Wonder what the price tag will be?

What is up with the hinged looking thing on the trigger guard?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post

The PPS has the ambi mag release levers incorporated into the bottoms of the trigger guard similiar to those on the Walther P99 series of pistols.

IMO an excellent feature (I have the compact & fullsize P99/AS pistols). Some folks don't seem to like the location, but once you have a pistol with them you won't care to go back to the traditional style mag. release.

If I want to change a magazine my trigger finger naturally falls to the mag. release lever, and I find that I can change a mag. easy and quickly..

The ambi mag release levers work great...

Best Wishes,

J Pomeroy

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post

Prices are already at www.galleryofguns.com. List looks to be $622, but will probably be in the low $500 range from local dealers.

It is on my wish list.

If anyone gets one, please let me know what you think when shooting. Thanks!
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links