My first Glock and a range trip. - Page 2

My first Glock and a range trip.

This is a discussion on My first Glock and a range trip. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats on the Glock 19. Out of all the handguns I've tried to carry, the G19 has been the best so far for me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Glock and a range trip.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the Glock 19. Out of all the handguns I've tried to carry, the G19 has been the best so far for me.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I just bought my first glock, a g19 with night sights. It is the perfect size for concealment and is a perfect fit for my hand. I'm thinking of getting one for my wife I she can manage to pull the slide back. Got to get her to lift some weights and maybe that will work. I think shes mad at me for selling her model 28 smith.

welcome to the club. I personally feel that the G19 is about the best pistol out there overall.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I forgot to mention, my conversion to the "Dark Side" is primarily due to a phone conversation I had with Gary Brommeland several months ago. I told him I was having some trouble dealing with the weight and recoil of the .45 Mil-Spec (also a model he recommended) because of all the back and neck surgeries and he recommended the Glock 17 or 19, or the SA XD in 9mm.

I went with the Glock because of a slightly lower bore axis, greater availability of aftermarket parts and that way cool 33 round G18 mag compatability. I decided on 19 over the 17 mainly for the added concealability when carrying OWB and for the way that slide length rides in an IWB.

Anyway, to all my fellow 1911 zealots I just wanted to say ... IT'S ALL GARY'S FAULT! Seriously though, his advice is as good as his leather work and I put great faith in both of them.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Congratulations on the G19...
    Your range report is pretty much what to expect from an out of the box GLOCK, wonderfully understated and confidence inspiring dependability....
    Now, do your best to wear that G19 out, LOL....
    I dare say that the new carry gun will be listed as the G19 before long....
    As an owner and fan of Sig Sauers, 1911's, HK's and others myself, I will unashamedly vouch for the simplistic, utterly boring reliability of a GLOCK... (As a matter of fact, I just picked up a G17 last week which is GLOCK #7 for me, I'd like to have one each of all the US available models eventually)

They are plain, soulless tools and they will get the job done each and every time....

In the immortal words of Navin R. Johnson: "Roll the Ugliness!"

Great thread, thanks.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Dimmak:
    If I get another Glock it'll be a tough decision between a second G19 to store away as a backup or a G29 for some 10mm fun.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    maclean,

As I'm sure you can guess, I will nudge you in the direction of the G29....
    Two reasons:
    1. It's a GLOCK 19, does it really require a backup? (of course there is a reason God gave us 2 hands, huh....) J/K, I carry a backup pistol myself -- G33 most times....
    2. Doubletap 10mm, good for what ails you whether on 2 legs or 4...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

LOL

They are plain, soulless tools and they will get the job done each and every time....
    I think I just found a new sig line...

GLOCK, They are plain, soulless tools and they will get the job done each and every time....

Hope you don't mind if I steal that.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Love my 17 and 26.My son started the madness with glock 22 so
    I blame it all on him.I like things that are simple have and easy to take apart and take abuse ;glock fits that and more so the numbers continue to grow in my household.

Well I started the madness at my house with a new G26 back in January at the advise of Gary Brommeland. He recommended the 19 but I really liked the concealability of the 26. I love the 26 and since then my dad, my brother, my boss and my best friend have all went with Glocks. They all went with 19's so after shooting theirs I went and got a 19 as well.

Man I like to shoot the Glocks. I have over 3000 rounds out of the 26 and another 1,000 out of a police turn in 19 and never a single flaw.

I am a lefty so I added the extended mag release but that is it. OK I added night sights to one and ordered them for the other but that is it.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

The range at Hobson Pike is great, I was a member until recently, IIRC it's only about $100 per year. The downside for me is the close early in winter and are only open three days. I started shooting exclusively at Guns and Leather, the other range you mentioned - open 7 days, most days until 9pm and only $200 a year.
    Other than that they are great, say Hi to Curly, Bill and the guys for me. They'll probably remember English Pete...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Welcome to the dark side. G29 is a litte small on the size of the grip if you got big paws for a 10mm package, if you got big paws. I would definitly recommend if you get th 29. Go with the backstrap extension they are only about $7, and may cut down on the frustration.

If you decide to go with another 9mm I would say check out a 26.
    My G19 is my primary carry, sometimes swapping to a G23 depending one were I'm headed. Using the whole caliber that LEO's use in the area as a possible help. I did just pick up a 26 and you can carry that gun in a pocket if you want, and it willl still fit in your G19 holsters if you want to wear it on the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Dimmak:
    If I get another Glock it'll be a tough decision between a second G19 to store away as a backup or a G29 for some 10mm fun.
    Jack
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links