My first Glock and a range trip.

This is a discussion on My first Glock and a range trip. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, pics will be added on Monday - sorry. I've been paying off an OD G19 for the last several months and yesterday morning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Glock and a range trip.

My first Glock and a range trip.

First off, pics will be added on Monday - sorry.
    I've been paying off an OD G19 for the last several months and yesterday morning it finally came home. There's an outdoor range not far from the gunshop that I'd never been to before so I decided to take it there to wring it out.

Impressions of both the gun and the range ....... WOW!!!
    I fired 200 rounds of WWB fmj and not one single stutter. I went straight from the shop to the range: No field stripping, no cleaning, nothing but a straight outta the box gun. I took 5, 15 round factory mags - I need at least a few more just for fun.

The trigger is already butter smooth, breaking cleanly at about 5lbs with minimal travel to reset - I have no plans to change it. My shooting wasn't the greatest but I'd consider it at least combat accurate, shooting about 3" groupings at 5 yds consistently and on target. The gun is lightweight, well balanced and naturally pointable for me (whooda thunk it?). The front sight completely fills the rear notch with no daylight side to side - no problem there as I've got a set of TFO nightsights from Gary Brommeland sitting in my range bag waiting for installation today or tomorrow.

Now for the range itself: I've been driving about an hour North to use the indoor range where I took my HCP class. It's a great range but $12 and $15 depending on which side you use and the drive is somewhat tiring with heavy traffic. The outdoor range I shot at yesterday is $5.50 for all day access (open Friday thru Sunday), they have one range for handguns and another for rifles. There were a minimum of two range officers present at all times while I was there with a P.A. system announcing 10 minute courses of fire, line hot/line cold commands, RSO walk-by "guns clear" checks before calling for target changes and brass collections. Clearly a well supervised, safe operation - no horseplay tolerated PERIOD. Pistol ranges were set for 5, 10 and 15 yards. RSOs and fellow shooters were all friendly, safe and competent. It's built like the standard stable type, covered structure with screens between lanes to prevent flying brass and industrial exhaust fans for ventilation. The weather was hot and humid but for the travel time, out of pocket cost, and shooter safety I'm well inclined to start shooting there. Only downside - no concealed carry allowed, permit holders not exempt.

All in all a great day and the G19 will become my new primary carry gun as soon as my leather arrives and I can run some good defensive loads through it for target adjustment and function check. Yep, I'm a happy guy!
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Glock kicks butt.... I'm looking forward to getting my own G19 by the end of the year.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Nice report! I be thunk'ng about a G19 to "round out" my G17 and G26 line up. Nice report to make me think some more!

Welcome my friend to the G19 world. I fell in love with mine, and refuse to go back. I know we have a bunch of peopl here that say hat the 1911 is the only way to go, but I saw a signature line somewhere that stated "You show your Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, and Brownings off to your friends. You show your Glock to your enemies."

It's always stuck with me. In fact, I have made no additional upgrades to any of my Glocks. Only replacing the parts that wear out. You shouldn't have to mess with perfection...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Congrats on your new Glock and also for finding a closer/cheaper place to shoot.

If you want a really fine trigger, install the 3.5 connector and SMOOTH faced trigger. My only complaint about Glocks is that grooved trigger, it tears up my finger during extended shooting. I've replaced them on all my Glocks, now I can shoot them ALL day, without shredding my trigger finger.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Nitto: Nice Report.
    Actually, with a Glock you're supposed to just check for a bore obstruction and then shoot it right out of the box.
    Due to that special factory "paste" lube that they use - that gunk that you're not supposed to remove before shooting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There's a safety station checkpoint before you can enter the range. The RSO there checks that all weapons are unloaded and uses a FO bore light and mirror to check for obstructions, it's a nicely run operation.
    Jack

Hey- great report! I love the G19. I bought mine in September last year and have ~3500 rounds thru. never had the first fail to load or fire or eject.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I dont know if they will restart the Brady bill or not, but you know the first thing restricted will be high capacity mags. I recommend buying a few 17 round mags (while you can.)
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Love my G19. We got one for my wife, and I liked it so much I just had to get one too! It has now replaced my Sig P229 as my CCW.

I tried my hardest for a long time to not buy a Glock. The way people would bad mouth them I figured they must be junk. Then one day while at the dealer's shop I bought a Glock 19. I carry the Glock 19. Out of all my handguns I choose the Glock to carry. It will go through hell and come out smiling. It really is the perfect carry gun in my opinion. Later I picked up a used Glock 27 on a trade.

I also agree on the smooth trigger. It is a good mod. I had mine refinished with NP3.

I was intially timid on buying a Glock, but I picked up a 27 a few weeks ago, and fell in love with it Good trigger pull, very accurate and fun to shoot.

Glad you found a good outdoor range. The AR Game and Fish has a range similar to the one you described here, very safe and controled environment (not to mention a lo cheaper) as compared to the local indoor range here.
    Last edited by HuntBigBucs; June 30th, 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    I tried my hardest for a long time to not buy a Glock. The way people would bad mouth them I figured they must be junk. Then one day while at the dealer's shop I bought a Glock 19. I carry the Glock 19. Out of all my handguns I choose the Glock to carry. It will go through hell and come out smiling. It really is the perfect carry gun in my opinion. Later I picked up a used Glock 27 on a trade.

I also agree on the smooth trigger. It is a good mod. I had mine refinished with NP3.

I love the pic. I was thinking of doing that to my new M&P........ out of curiosity how much did it run you????
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

http://www.nextlevelcellular.com/

I'll tell you guys, I have been a 1911 fan for a long time, I carried my full size 1911 all the time. No one could convince me other wise. Well out came the G21sf, started thinking that maybe Glock was starting to get there poop in a group, so on a whim I bought one. Well needless to say my old side kick 1911 is collecting dust in the safe.
    I carry the Glock now all the time and am looking for a good deal on a G30 to have something alittle more compact. Chances are I will never carry anything but a Glock again.
    Nice report and congratulations on finding great range.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

It was $150 for slide, barrel and all internal parts. Plus shipping cost there.

It was well worth it, NP3 is almost indestructible. No holster ware at all after a year.

I had it done at Robar.

http://www.robarguns.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links