Best .45 Auto For Southwest Ccw

This is a discussion on Best .45 Auto For Southwest Ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a .45 auto for Southwest CCW. Due to the heat, I have to carry IWB with a heavy cotton T-shirt hanging ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Auto For Southwest Ccw

I am looking for a .45 auto for Southwest CCW. Due to the heat, I have to carry IWB with a heavy cotton T-shirt hanging outside my pants.

I need an auto with a 4"- 4.5" barrel (from what I understand, barrels that are less than 4" are less reliable). I am want a slim profile (like a Colt's) for concealability.

Due to an old wrist injury, I need an all-steel frame in order to minimize recoil.

I would welcome any recommendations.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmosby View Post
    I am looking for a .45 auto for Southwest CCW. Due to the heat, I have to carry IWB with a heavy cotton T-shirt hanging outside my pants.

I need an auto with a 4"- 4.5" barrel (from what I understand, barrels that are less than 4" are less reliable). I am want a slim profile (like a Colt's) for concealability.

Due to an old wrist injury, I need an all-steel frame in order to minimize recoil.

Well if you want something all steel, and in the profile of a Colt (I'm assuming 1911). Why don't you just get a Colt Combat Commander, or a Springfield Loaded Champion.

I don't recall if Kimber makes an all steel 1911 in 4"...

My mid '90s Colt Officers will eat anything, and is 3.5" and stainless steel. Tons of rounds, junk, hp, ball, all goes through. Weighs enough to eat recoil, too. Don't know if it is a fluke, but is in my top 3 handguns in the safe for love to shoot, and one is a nice .22 auto.

I don't understand the all steel frame and less recoil.
    My Glock 21 is so much more forgiving then my 1911, I have found the the polymer framed guns have less recoil.
    In the conditions that you describe, in the South West.
    And for a slim frame, I would recommend a Glock 36.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I have a Springfield Champion and a Springfield Gov. model and neither one has givin me much to complain about. I have put a few thousand rounds through each of them and except for some bad reloads, I cannot not think of a time they have given me a problem. Great pistols and would trust my life to either one.

VIP Member

Stainless Colt Combat Commander would fit your needs...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Also I suggest you try (if possible ) a Alum. frame SA Champ. Mine does not seem to have a harsh recoil at all.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I would tend to agree with Longbow. I had a Glock 36 & currently have a LW Commander sized 1911. Both guns are relatively mild recoil-wise & have the added benefit of being light, so they're easier to carry.

An all steel Commander is nice, but so darned heavy. I'll admit, though, that I've been spoiled on lightweight guns by carrying Glocks & my current LW Commander.

I wouldn't recommend the Taurus PT145 MilPro. Although it's not a bad gun, mine has more recoil than the above mentioned guns.

Good luck with your choice.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

In 1911 format: Colt Combat Commander, SA stainless Loaded Champion or GI Champion, Kimber Pro Carry (I believe the HD is all stainless), Dan Wesson CBOB, S&W (not sure of the model names), and maybe the RIA if budget is a concern.

If you're not specifically looking for a 1911 there are several more makers to consider as well.
    Jack

I carry a full size 1911

And for a slim frame, I would recommend a Glock 36.

SLIM FRAME and GLOCK do not belong in the same sentance...LOL

I carry a Kimber 5" 1911 and Taurus PT145 Mill Pro. No problems with either. Yes the PT145 is a lighter gun and has a lil more recoil but its really not that bad at all.....but Holly Cow that thing is LOUD.
    You should go rent some guns at range to find the ones that have tolerable recoil for YOU.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

If price isn't much of an issue, a stainless Stinger from Les Baer might be nice. Officer's frame so easier to conceal, but with a commander length slide for reliability and sight radius.

Austin

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    SLIM FRAME and GLOCK do not belong in the same sentance...LOL
    Interesting...
    The Glock 36 is thinner than the PT145. In fact, only the double stacked mag .45s are wider. ALL the other Glocks are thinner than the PT145.

Heck, unless you have slim grips on your 1911, it's wider than a Glock 36 & probably the 19 too (Taking into account the 1911's safety).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    Well, first of all if you're going to carry with an untucked heavy cotton T-Shirt anyway...then why not just carry OWB rather than IWB?
    You can buy a good leather holster and belt and eliminate one shirt.
    You'll be more cooler and more comfortable and a good carry rig will conceal your firearm under a darker colored heavy weight cotton T-Shirt.

I would buy a new in box but, vintage Colt Combat Commander Series 70.
    Expensive - you bet, but it will keep its value and you'll have it forever.

Then I would add a Sprinco recoil buffer to ease the stress on your wrist and you'll be good to go.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Kimber Pro Carry HD

In your situation I would get the Kimber Pro Carry HD, which is an all stainless 1911 with 4 inch barrel weighing 35 ounces empty. And I would put slim Alumagrips on the gun, which reduce the grip width by about 0.2 inch for easy concealment. Alumagrips are also not "sharp" feeling like many wood checkered grips, so they won't fray your shirt or dig into your side in IWB carry.

I have an aluminum frame Kimber Pro model, and it is a wonderful carry gun.

Kimber Pro HD webpage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links