S&W 642 or 442 - Page 2

S&W 642 or 442

This is a discussion on S&W 642 or 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LastManOut I heard that the internal lock mechanism flips to the rear to lock, in the direction of the recoil. Any thoughts ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 642 or 442

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    I heard that the internal lock mechanism flips to the rear to lock, in the direction of the recoil.
    Any thoughts with 'disabling' the internal lock with Super Glue?

Odds are more likely you'll screw up your gun with Super Glue than the recoil will activate the lock..

Hope this is not a stupid question; but I may also be in the market for a 642/442 how does that internal lock work? New to revos.

Insert special key included with gun.

Counter clockwise turn to engage.

Clockwise to unlock.

I never use it and never had a problem with it (locking up).
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

oh, I see. So the concern is the lock engaging when it is not supposed to without the key. Has there been issues with this?

I'm not the expert on it but the lock seems fine to me. I actually appreciate the fact that I can disable it (but I never do) if need be. It may just be hype on the part of the purists who stand for the "way it always was". If it's a real concern, I have not seen tangible evidence to dissaude my opinion.

Am I the only 642 owner that finds the lock an asset? It's handy to use and gives some peace of mind if I decide to stash my 642 loaded for a time.Seems reliable and I have not had any issues with it at all.Bottom line is that it is removable if you really don't want the lock. Chuck.

I carry an N-Frame and a J-Frame, both with the "Infernal Clinton Lock".

I've had the N-Frame Thunder Ranch Revolver lock up on me, which S&W repaired under warranty. The "old wives tale" regarding the lock is, "If you are going to have a problem with the lock it will be in the beginning when it's new." This has proven true for me, and I've put over 1000 rounds through my Revolver with no problems since I bought it in Janurary and had it repaired by S&W.

The J-Frame 442 has never had an issue, and all I've ever shot through it is +P. I've put about 300 rounds through it in the past year. S&W has a real good warranty program and stands behind their product after the sale. That in itself is another reason IMHO to get a Smith over other wheelgun makers wares.

Personally I wouldn't let the lock turn me away from buying a new Revolver if that's what you want. I don't use mine, and I do hate the bloody things, but I am resigned to the fact that they are most likely here to stay. Also, things change and life goes on.

Get the gun you want, lock or no lock, and "wring" it out to test it. Also, look on the bright side, your "wringing" it out is another excuse to go shoot.

Biker

I've never owned a traditional Smith & Wesson revolver that had a mechanical failure in all the rounds I've put through them and that's a bunch of rounds. Jinky timing and misfires can still leave the revolver shooter with a weapon he can effectively use. A squib load that leaves a bullet stuck in the bore or forcing cone will shut down the revolver. Such an occurrence would be unfortunate but "them's the breaks". The lock has the mechanical capability to most effectively put the revolver out of action and the silly contraption is just so much unnecessary baggage in the first place. It just shouldn't be there. Revolvers without them will never become tied up due to a lock. A review of the Smith & Wesson forum will give a number of examples of lock failures that tied up a revolver. It also reveals the "lock wars" with two camps championing their causes.

I could live with the other changes wrought in the S&W product line but can't abide the lock too. I prejudicially feel that lock-equipped revolvers aren't "real" Smith & Wessons no matter if the famous logo is stamped into the side of the piece.

The concept of Smith & Wesson force-feeding the lock to the interested revolver buyer is insulting. I know the things are dangerous. I take responsibility for that.

The lock is similar to the child-proof saftey cap that bedevils arthritic elderly folks who have to deal with medications packaged in the wretched things. Life in the bureaucratic nanny state is a nuisance.

I was born too late.

Rant over

I don't like the fact that I couldn't find a 642 without an internal lock in my area. However, once I got home from purchasing a new one, I took a look at how it worked, performed a minor modification, and now I'm not worried. Still not happy I paid for the extra machine work and parts I don't use or want, but what can ya do.
    Yes I've heard the griping about warranty issues.
    FWIW it did seem that they did a good job designing it to stay in whichever position it was put.

I am looking into the 642 myself as a BUG / pocket carry option. How much is this gun at local shops? How much lower/higher than MSRP should I expect to find?

(I realize this varies by area but estimates are welcome).

M38
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I am looking into the 642 myself as a BUG / pocket carry option. How much is this gun at local shops? How much lower/higher than MSRP should I expect to find?

(I realize this varies by area but estimates are welcome).
    Mine was $399.99 at Virginia Arms in Manassas.

Thank You

All,

I appreciate everyones input. I will wait a while to find one with out IL unless I find a good deal on one with the IL.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I just got off the phone with them. They have a great price on that gun but they charge $25 shipping + I have to pay $20-25 for a dealer around here to fill out the paperwork. Plus there is a 3% charge for using a credit card--which is what I use when purchasing stuff of the web. :/ That puts it at about $417-425-ish

Roanoke Firearms has it for $435 and they wouldn't come down on the price at all.

I will have to call Virginia Arms in Manassas to see if they still sell it for $399.99.

I am looking to spend no more than $450 TOTAL(including tax) on the revolver and a desanti pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I just got off the phone with them. They have a great price on that gun but they charge $25 shipping + I have to pay $20-25 for a dealer around here to fill out the paperwork. Plus there is a 3% charge for using a credit card--which is what I use when purchasing stuff of the web. :/ That puts it at about $417-425-ish

Roanoke Firearms has it for $435 and they wouldn't come down on the price at all.

I will have to call Virginia Arms in Manassas to see if they still sell it for $399.99.

I am looking to spend no more than $450 TOTAL(including tax) on the revolver and a desanti pocket holster.

edit: VA Arms has them for $394 + $2 for a background check Thats a pretty sweet deal. They are some of the most friendly people I have ever dealt with either. I think at this point someone would have to have one for $40+ less for me not to buy from VA Arms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links