S&W 642 or 442

S&W 642 or 442

This is a discussion on S&W 642 or 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I went to the gun show today with the intention of buying a 642 or 442 without the internal lock. I asked one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 642 or 442

S&W 642 or 442

All,

I went to the gun show today with the intention of buying a 642 or 442 without the internal lock. I asked one of the dealers if he had one and said no and went on to tell me that the older 642 and 442 without the lock were not rated for +P ammo. So if I wanted to shoot +P ammo I would need to buy one on the newer models with the lock.

On a side note, I found a 442 and 642, both without the lock, and he was asking $460. This seemed high, what are your thoughts on the price?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have the 642 with the lock and have never had any problems

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    my local dealer sells 642 for 379
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Sounds like that guy's trying to take advantage of the fact that they don't make the non-internal locks anymore.

I'm glad I've held on to my pre-lock 442 (Got it as a gift in '94).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The only reason I could see asking that much would be if they came with CT Grips, even then it'd be expensive for a used gun. My 642 was priced at $399. As to whether the older models were +P rated, I honestly don't recall but it seems I heard they weren't at some point. The latest version, 642-2 are stamped +P on the barrel.
    Jack

My no-lock Model 642 is barrel-marked for +P. I think the Model 442 is more attractive.

If it's a 642-2 or 442-2 it's +P rated. -3's have the lock, and +P rated. Even if it's not +P rated, occasional use is okay.

IMO some purists will say no lock ever. I carry a 442 with a lock and never had a problem. If I ever have a problem with it I'm sure I will have a different stance on the lock. Anyway, if you don't have a J frame yet - get one or go to the front of the class and...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I am presently keeping my eyes peeled for a 442 without the IL. I have a 60 and a 640 without the IL. I recently traded my 340PD with the IL for a Kahr P40.

I have not had any problems with the 340, but the idea of the IL bothered me. What if I fired one shot and then the trigger locked up? As much as I loved that little gal, I had to let her go. Hopefully, I will find a little 442 to replace her. I would be looking to spend in the ball park of $300-$350 depending on condition.
    Last edited by NY27; July 1st, 2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: grammer
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

$460 is definitely too high, especially if that is before tax. $400 is the highest reasonable price I've seen.

I took a class at S&W Academy and my yellow sheet price was $315, I don't think you'll find a new 442/642 revo for less than that. I think Bud's Gun Shop has some of the lowest S&W revo prices around.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Ditto Spiff, $460 is too much. I have a 442-1, no IL and no +P stamped on the barrel. Having said that, would I shoot +P in the gun? My carry round is Golden Sabre +P, but would not shoot it as a regular routine.

I heard that the internal lock mechanism flips to the rear to lock, in the direction of the recoil.
    Any thoughts with 'disabling' the internal lock with Super Glue?

I have a prelock 442 and paid about $75 too much for it because it didnt have a lock. I dont carry it much but I will take it as my backup with snakeshot when camping

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I think Bud's Gun Shop has some of the lowest S&W revo prices around.
    Deffinately Budsgunshop.com! I just bought a new 642 for $400 after tax and insured shipping!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links