1911 fanatical purists only NM midrange .

This is a discussion on 1911 fanatical purists only NM midrange . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys a curiosity question that is hard to answer , and with a kicker . I wont post this in guns for sale since ...

Thread: 1911 fanatical purists only NM midrange .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

1911 fanatical purists only NM midrange .

Ok guys a curiosity question that is hard to answer , and with a kicker . I wont post this in guns for sale since its not my gun but a buds .

What is a NM mid range .38 spec worth in your area . ?

The reason i ask is that i was approached today by a bud who is not real computer savvy to assist him in finding a median value , He happens to have one he wants to sell . Condition wise i would rate it at a 90 to 95% gun ( the mainspring housing has been replaced with a pachmeyer semi arched padded one . ) , and it shows some slight blue wear .

Imho it grades better than this example http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...&cm_ite=netcon

I did not have my cam so no good pics of it , but pics can be taken and emailed .

Not to spoil a sale but the figure he had in mind is somewhat cheaper than the one on the link i posted .

The handgun has NO box NO papers and as far as i know ONE mag , at least that is all he took out when we shot it today .

Plz post some idea of what they are going for here , and if your intrested in the pistol plz drop me a pm and i will arrange for you to hook up with the seller . I get NO commission or fee , this is a favor for him , and for you if you are wanting one of these specialty 1911s to round out your collection .

Thanks for the read and time and any info .

Edited to add He will ship nationwide USA to your ffl , I wont go out on a limb on shipping costs but would imagine about 25 bucks on top of any sale , but work that out with him .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

There was one local here that sat for over a year at 1900 i think it finally sold when it dropped to 1500

but it was the only one i had ever seen local

Is it a straight colt build or something done by Jim Clark?

OD should be able to give you the best answer when he pops in

Yea bud i kinda had od in mind when i posted the request .. This is a real subjective pistol and not everyone wants or needs one ( like me for example tho i am glad to shoot one , and its a shooter ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

JD
    Administrator
    My dad has one, I can see what he paid for his, but it was a few years ago...but not too long ago IIRC.

RR i would love to have one but never have the cash when i see one be neat shooting a 38 Special out of a 1911

Course as you said its truly a shooters pistol as you have to reload for it as only full wadcutters will do at a certain speed

Having shot one yesterday bud Ill just say the gun shoots a lot better than I . For some reason i cant get it out of my head just how slick a pistol this would be for cottontails . Headshots out to 20 or 25 yards are easily doable .

RR I don't Doubt it at all always heard they were a slick piece and a wadcutter load is usually loaded to nothing

Fairly rare Gold Cup

The .38 mid range is a fairly rare variation on the Colt Gold Cup, and would probably be of interest mainly to collectors of Gold Cups. It is hard to estimate the price since very few are sold, and prices have gone up in recent years. I remember seeing these for sale about 10 years ago in the $800 range, which was not that much higher than regular .45 caliber Gold Cups at that time, which were selling for about $700.

The one at Cabela's priced at $2,500 seems overpriced to me. I predict that it will sit there for a long time at that price.

Administrator
    It's always been neat punching out those perfect cookie cutter wadcutter circles in paper.
    They are wonderful fun pistols to shoot.

One of the ultimate pleasures in pistol shooting.

I sure have seen some steep prices on them and the magazines fetch high prices also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    the mainspring housing has been replaced with a pachmeyer semi arched padded one...

NO box NO papers...
    Those two things will hurt it, especially the Pachmayr MSH (unless he still has the flat MSH). They were only made between November 1960 to November of 1973, serial # range 100MR to 9409-MR, so there aren't a great many of them floating around.

Do you know which sights it has on it, Red? They came with Colt-Accro rear sights from 1960 to November of 1964, then Colt-Elliason to the end of production. Which stocks, the plastic or wood?
    There are a couple on Collectors Firearms currently, asking price between $1295 & $1495.
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=14616

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=14318

Personally, I wouldn't take less than $1200, even with the wrong MSH.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Od It has wood grips( original ) , and he has a period flat msh tho not original to the gun . I have no idea on which sight it has .

OD*
    Good, the correct type MSH will help. Are you looking to buy it, or are you helping him sell it? If selling, start high, you can always come down when dealing with someone, but you can't go up.
    Do you know when the pistol was made? Colt used plastic stocks up to circa 1967/68, it maybe a newer pistol too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

He is going to sell it . I am not interested at this point in buying . Its just scarce enough that it is rough to find a " true value " to deal from so he asked me to put out a few feelers on value , and i figured if anyone was interested i would steer them to him .

Links