M&P range report

M&P range report

This is a discussion on M&P range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm full size: I am converting over from Glock to M&P. This will have a few comparisons between the two simply for comparison sake, not ...

M&P range report

9mm full size:
    I am converting over from Glock to M&P. This will have a few comparisons between the two simply for comparison sake, not to say one is better than the other.

The full size 9mm M&P is a tad bit wider overall than a comperable G17. The 3 various sized user replaceable back strap allows the shooter to increase the size of the back strap in small, medium, and large sizes. The magazine release is able to be changed easily by the user in seconds. The "hinged" trigger is a different feel than a typical glock trigger, anyone who has shot a Sigma will feel at home with it. The trigger in general is much different than a Glock or XD, you will find yourself anticipating the first shot with the M&P.

Overall feel of the gun is much more desireable to me than a Glock since the backstraps can me changed to accomidate various sized hands. The action is smooth, and allows for follow up shots, or double taps to be precise. Sights are standard novak 3 dot combat sights and you can get trijicon brand hight sights if ordered from factory, or XS has a sight system for them now in stock. There is a witness hole allowing the user to visually identify a loaded chamber. The mechanism is a striker fired double action only system. Trigger reset is very minimal that can be noticed by dry fire practice.

Accuracy was better than expected after the inital anticipation and trigger flinch was taken care of by me thinking a little more. Gun points straight and easy, and point of impact was at point of aim at 25 yards. Follow up shots were dead on due to small felt recoil and gun sitting low in the hand. Overall it was a joy to shoot with no problems at all with various ball and hollow point ammo. Around the 500 mark the trigger "grit" went away and it has a glassy smooth trigger. NOTE: the gritty trigger was only noticed on this 9mm, my 9mm compact and 40 compact do not have the gritty feel at all.

Take down was a bit more difficult than it needed to be due to the required removal of the back strap tool that will take some effort and can rub a blister on your finger. The take down process is a very safe one requiring the user to rack the slide back, ejecting any round that may be in the chamber, ejecting the magazine and flipping a lever down to allow the slide to be removed. After 500 initial rounds, there was no sign of wear other than the typical finish wear on the bbl. A good bath and back to the range for more fun in the sun, or rain, or whatever, I am pretty convinced this gun can handle it.

The M&P9 compact was about the same, with a slightly increased muzzle flip, but an easier follow up shot for me personally. Both the full size and compact versions I have are capable of firing without the magazines, and have no key lock system. I feel comfortable carrying either one for personal defense. At the time of this review, I have decided to retire the Glocks in favor of the M&P. In the next year or two look for more holster choices and more accessories to come out. Smith and Wesson is now running with the big boys (Glock and S.A. XD) in the polymer framed pistol area. All in all, I like my m&p.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Nice review. I got my first chance to fondle an M&P the other day.. definitely feels different then my G23..Write ups like this, make me think I need to add an M&P to my collection..

You wont be sorry. I forgot to add, I am reserve sheriff deputy and get Glocks at le prices, about 100 to 150 less than the M&P, but the M&P is worth the extra cash in my opinion. It just has a feel to it that is better suited to my smaller hands.
    www.okshooters.com

TSquare, it is not necessary to have to use the take down removal tool. Just lock the slide back and use your little finger (nail) to push the sear deactivation lever down. This is works very well and fast.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I noticed I could do that after a few breakdowns. I decided not to post that due to the owners manual stating to use the take down tool. Plus when I do a take down and clean, I also remove the back strap for a cleaning as well, so either way the "tool" is coming out. But you are right, it is allot easier just to reach a finger down there and flip it yourself.
    www.okshooters.com

I love my Glock but I really like the fact that you do not have to pull the trigger as a step of taking the gun down for cleaning. That is one thing I do not like about my Glock and I think one of the reasons Glocks have a reputation for being AD prone.

I also like the feel of the grip on the M&P. I will add one to my line up as soon as I can. But, money usually goes to other things with as many kids as I have.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links