M&P Shield Sights adjustment

This is a discussion on M&P Shield Sights adjustment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spent a few hours at the range yesterday with my son and we got a lot accomplished...sighted in the new scope on the AR, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: M&P Shield Sights adjustment

I spent a few hours at the range yesterday with my son and we got a lot accomplished...sighted in the new scope on the AR, ran a couple of hundred rounds thru his new Glock 21. (that thing is like gripping and Acme brick!) as well as the Kimber 45, which was amazingly accurate and wow, what a trigger!
    And ran a box thru his Marlin 30-30 with 3x9 scope, (which is an absolute tack driver) that he's using for deer season this year.

He brought 600 rounds of 9mm so we also ran a couple of hundred rounds through the new M&P Shield and my 30 yr old Beretta 92F.

Couple of questions that I would appreciate some input with;

1- The Shield is consistently hitting 3-4" left at 7 yards... grouping well but left. The rear sight is not adjustable but the front is, via tapping it with a punch. I have a Lyman punch/hammer set so thought I'd take it along next time. My question is how much movement should I adjust for that yardage to accomplish a 3 inch adjustment? I'm guessing very little. BTW: 100% failure free performance from the Shield with a variety of ammo, including home loads.

2- My other question is related to the 92F. After about 50 rounds we started getting FTF & FTE. I tried some factory loads, home loads, and although intermittent it still had failures. One clip would feed fine and the next would have a couple of failures with the same ammo. My son noticed some oil on the barrel when the slide was back and thought maybe the storage oil may have had something to do with it.
    BTW, It's the first time that pistol has ever failed. But I had not wiped it down from storage prior to
    shooting yesterday. Too much oil? Maybe gummed up a bit after a few clips were run thru it?

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    I spent a few hours at the range yesterday with my son and we got a lot accomplished...sighted in the new scope on the AR, ran a couple of hundred rounds thru his new Glock 21. (that thing is like gripping and Acme brick!) as well as the Kimber 45, which was amazingly accurate and wow, what a trigger!
    And ran a box thru his Marlin 30-30 with 3x9 scope, (which is an absolute tack driver) that he's using for deer season this year.

He brought 600 rounds of 9mm so we also ran a couple of hundred rounds through the new M&P Shield and my 30 yr old Beretta 92F.

1- The Shield is consistently hitting 3-4" left at 7 yards... grouping well but left. The rear sight is not adjustable but the front is, via tapping it with a punch. I have a Lyman punch/hammer set so thought I'd
    take it along next time. My question is how much movement should I adjust for that yardage to accomplish a 3 inch adjustment? I'm guessing very little. BTW: 100% failure free performance from the Shield with a variety of ammo, including home loads.

2- My other question is related to the 92F. After about 50 rounds we started getting FTF & FTE. I tried some factory loads, home loads, and although intermittent it still had failures. One clip would feed fine and the next would have a couple of failures with the same ammo. My son noticed some oil on the barrel when the slide was back and thought maybe the storage oil may have had something to do with it.
    BTW, It's the first time that pistol has ever failed. But I had not wiped it down from storage prior to
    shooting yesterday. Too much oil? Maybe gummed up a bit after a few clips were run thru it?
    1. 90+% of the time, firing left with a right handed shooter, is a grip issue. That would be the first thing I'd check

2. FTF/FTE.. did that happen with a specific magazine? From your report, it "sounds" like one magazine would fire flawlessly, but putting the next one in would generate errors. If I read that correctly, I'd look at the mag. I had that happen with me. Magazines fed ball ammo through all of them just fine. But 2 would not feed JHP/Carry ammo reliably. Replaced those magazines and the pistol was back to working flawlessly.
    rocky likes this.

Re #1. My son was also hitting consistently left with the Shield. The sights are both centered from the factory set up so so you maybe right - it could be a grip issue - that grip is pretty thin compared to a full size pistol and although feels good and fills the hand front to back, there's not much meat there side to side.. I have a Pachmayr grip wrap coming this week to add some mass to the grip...will see if that helps before adjusting. My son is very accurate with the G21, as I am with the larger grip full size pistols so the thinness of the M&P is likely a factor that requires some personal adjustment and obviously more range time. All hits were in the center mass zone though, just left of aim. For a while I thought maybe it was me, being in my 60's now, and not as steady as I was in younger years. My son is 38 and very on target with all his firearms. So good point on the grip issue suggestion.

Re #2: good point on the 92 mags question. I'll check that next time & do a good cleaning/wipe down prior to range time too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Fire the Shield from a rest before doing anything. Most likely the gun is fine. Firing from a rest is the only way you are going to judge a gun's accuracy and sight alignment.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar

1- The Shield is consistently hitting 3-4" left at 7 yards... grouping well but left. The rear sight is not adjustable but the front is, via tapping it with a punch. I have a Lyman punch/hammer set so thought I'd take it along next time. My question is how much movement should I adjust for that yardage to accomplish a 3 inch adjustment? I'm guessing very little. BTW: 100% failure free performance from the Shield with a variety of ammo, including home loads.

Sight Math Calculator courtesy of Dawson Precision, it says height, but also works for windage:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Chuck
    AzQkr likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

I have a shield and experienced the same grouping left as a grip problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iuprof View Post
    I have a shield and experienced the same grouping left as a grip problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    how did you correct it?

Well, I did a thorough cleaning of the 92F today, and for the first time ever, disassembled the magazines and cleaned
    the parts then reassembled. They were pretty dirty, especially the inside of the mag shells. May have had something to
    do with the failures.

which brings to mind the question of how often mags get a disassembly cleaning....good question for another thread.

Just so you know the rear sight on a Shield can be moved/drifted just like the rear sight on any other M&P pistol. You have to loosen the set screw first.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Just so you know the rear sight on a Shield can be moved/drifted just like the rear sight on any other M&P pistol. You have to loosen the set screw first.
    is that set screw not threaded into the slide? from what I've read the rear isn't adjustable and the front sight is the preferred adjustment method. either way I'm not going to try to adjust it
    until I get the grip wrap on it and see if that helps. I looked at some aftermarket sights but haven't found any that are easy adjustable.
    Last edited by MB53; October 4th, 2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: er

Senior Moderator
    My new Shield is also shooting left - consistently so, even if from a sandbag rest or freestyle in my hands or that of an extremely talented friend at my club. We both experimented with grip and side pressure from the support hand, and concluded that the sights need minor adjustment.

How much to move the front sight? Depends on the sight radius and how much adjustment is needed at what range. I don't have time to fetch my Shield from the safe, but the math is pretty simple:
    - measure the sight radius - distance between front and rear sights. For the example, let's say it's 4 inches.
    - now let's say the gun shoots 6" left at 10 yards.
    - keep the units the same, so 10 yards = 30 feet = 360 inches.
    - the correction is the ratio of 6"/360" to X inches/4". So sight correction X = (6 x 4)/360 = 0.067"

So the actual amount you need to drift the sight is not large. Before you move it, mark both left and right edges of the sight in the dovetail slot with a pencil so you can gauge how much the sight has moved. If you have a dial caliper, you can even mark in advance where the sight has to move to.

Remember that when adjusting sights, move the REAR sight in the direction you want your shots to go. Conversely, move the FRONT sight in the direction OPPOSITE to where you want your shots to go. Your gun shoots left, so drift your font sight to the left.

Go slowly and make small adjustments! Good luck, and report back with your results.
    AzQkr and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

thanks Smitty,
    so as I understand the math I should try to move my front sight just a hair to the left. :)

Lead Moderator
    I mark the center of the sight and slide to measure movement , it will not take much to change the bullet impact.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

is that set screw not threaded into the slide? from what I've read the rear isn't adjustable and the front sight is the preferred adjustment method. either way I'm not going to try to adjust it
    until I get the grip wrap on it and see if that helps. I looked at some aftermarket sights but haven't found any that are easy adjustable.
    Not threaded into slide it simply seats against slide for friction fit. To install an APEX trigger kit you have to remove the rear sight to access the striker safety plunger. I have removed mine on all of my M&P pistols including my 9mm Shield.

CORRECTION: I may be misleading you here. According to other information, although the rear sight is removable, it is a tapered dovetail fit and should not be adjusted.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Not threaded into slide it simply seats against slide for friction fit. To install an APEX trigger kit you have to remove the rear sight to access the striker safety plunger. I have removed mine on all of my M&P pistols including my 9mm Shield.

CORRECTION: I may be misleading you here. According to other information, although the rear sight is removable, it is a tapered dovetail fit and should not be adjusted.

I tried adjusting the front sight but that thing is in there tight. Even with some lube and some hefty hits with my brass punch (covered with some leather) and mallet I can't get it to move.
    But it's noticeably not centered and sitting just right of center...that accounts for the left drift on target.
    any ideas to get that front sight moving a little? Don't want to damage anything and may end up having to take it to a shop
    that has a sight tool.

I know it's not a real big deal being left of center 3 inches but it still bugs me a little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links