Tuckable Gun (width) Question

This is a discussion on Tuckable Gun (width) Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting the G.A.S. again, but my work environment is one that if I wear, it is in a pocket carry or a tucked ...

Thread: Tuckable Gun (width) Question

Tuckable Gun (width) Question

I am getting the G.A.S. again, but my work environment is one that if I wear, it is in a pocket carry or a tucked holster (as golf shirts or long sleeve are the norm with no need for jackets.). I am interested to see what is the "slimmest" (if that is a word) pistol out there, as there are times that pocket carry is not the best option, and I would like at least a 9mm or better.

I have tried the UC Comfort style holstering, but they are just too hot in the summer down here in Texas for me personally. Tuckables just seem to be the best option while at the office. I don't mind the setups that I wear when I have jeans on, but slacks are the problem.

What are your thoughts?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I work in a "posted" no carry building. I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in my front pocket. I have just ordered a Comp-Tac 2'oclock dedicated appendix tuckable holster for my M&P40c. The dress code in my office is extremely relaxed, so I usually wear jeans and an untucked polo shirt, but still prefer IWB holsters no matter what the dress and situation, they just hold it closer to the body. I also carry a laptop case and my bigger guns (anything but the P3AT) are usually tucked away inside it. The Kahr PM9 is an excellent slim, small, light weight 9mm pistol for pocket carry, and it is small enough that with a good iwb it will not be noticed at all. Try the Fist pocket holster for pocket carry, one of the best on the market. You can also get a pocket clip for the Kel-Tec P3AT and use it iwb without a holster. I have heard that skyy is comming out with a 9mm that is roughly the same size dimension wise to the Kel-Tec P3AT, so that may be another pocket gun option. What ever you get, just be safe and practice.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

I will second the M&P compacts. I have the 9c, wear it tucked sometimes, and cannot get it to print.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I have taken a look at the Kel-Tec, but noticed that it is in the .380 caliber. As my 442 is in the .38 +P range, I think that I could get away with just using that one (As I only suffer 2 rounds versus the Kel-Tec). I do have an FEG PA63 that I refurbished as a 9mm carry, but didn't know if that might be the thinnest style out there. The PA63 gives me 7+1, and is not really considered a pocket carry, which is what I carry when in slacks currently. I was just hoping that I might be able to get a bigger caliber but in the slimmest possible way to maximize the carry. The PA63 and the 442 are the two that I feel the most comfort with during work hours due to concealability. (Yes, unfortunately there are a couple of people that think it funny, and try to make a game out of it.)

I can always go back to the trusted G19 once out of the office, but I was hoping for a bigger gun that might conceal as easily as the PA63, but would have the toys that the other more commonly used gun models would (the PA 63 is horrible in trying to get holsters and mods, and being left handed makes it even more fun...).
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

In that case, you need to check out the Kahr PM9 then. I bet that will fit the bill for you.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Thanks guys. Looks like I will have a couple to see about demo-ing at the range if available...
    NRA Member

Skinny 9mm guns

I believe the thinnest 9mm guns that are commonly seen are the Kahr P9 or PM9, or a 9mm 1911 like the new Springfield EMP or Kimber Aegis. These guns are typically 0.90 inches thick in the slide, and slightly more in the grips (with thin grip panels on the 1911s). If you want to tuck a 9mm gun, these are probably the best choices.

Here is the Kahr P9 photographed from the top to show its thinness, and a side shot of the Kimber Aegis. The Kahr PM9 is the same thickness as the P9.

I have a Keltec PF9 and it works great! Affordable, small, and slim 9mm, check them out!

FMC

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    A 38 Special snubbie IWB in a tuckable is virtually undetectable. Completely undetectable if you use V clips for your holster.

Buy your pants 1 - 2 inches larger.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    I have a Keltec PF9 and it works great! Affordable, small, and slim 9mm, check them out!

FMC
    I also own a Kel-Tec PF9 at .88 inches thick and 12.7 oz. I am able to carry in the pocket. I never leave home without it.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Kel-Tecs are pretty thin. I know the Kahr PM9 is thin & I successfully carry it in a tuckable w/o people noticing (UBG tuckable IWB holster).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carry an XD9SC in a Tucker Texas Heritage. It is invisable.

Ken

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Personally I would take a long hard look at the Springfield EMP. Sounds to me like they have a keeper on their hands.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Yep read Lima's write up on the SA EMP. (lucky gal just kind of stumbled into getting to borrow one for a week!)

Also this months issue July/August of American Handgunner has a write-up on the EMP as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Walther of America is coming out with a PPS 40 cal S&W this fall. Its about 1 inch in width.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Links