Your SIG P220 reviews please.

This is a discussion on Your SIG P220 reviews please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For daily carry I bounce back and forth between a 92FS, SIG P-232 and, as soon as I get ammo, my old Colt Det. Spl. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your SIG P220 reviews please.

Your SIG P220 reviews please.

For daily carry I bounce back and forth between a 92FS, SIG P-232 and, as soon as I get ammo, my old Colt Det. Spl.
    (That was a handy gun while driving a cab in NYC!)
    I'd like to round things out with a SIG P220.
    SIG makes fine guns and I want a .45.
    Who really knows this gun and what do you think of it?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have edited your thread title to be a bit more specific so that you may get some responses related to your question.

I have 2 P220s and both function flawlessly. I carry the all steel one, which is heavy, but I like that about it. As for shooting them, they are fine and are capable of batter accuracy than what I am capable. I found out by accident that some 1911 mags work in them. Although I wouldn't recommend running them that way. It although it did function just fine in my gun. Just didn't seat flush on the bottom of the frame.

In the end you can do better and you can do worse for a 45 ACP. The choice is up to you and your banker.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

JD
    Administrator
    I have a 220 SAO that I'm accquainting myself with, I like it, but I there's guns I like better, I find it to be just a little too light, but still manageable. I like my .45s to be all steel.

The trigger pull is too long for a single action gun.

It feels good in the hand and points well for me, I'm probably well over 500 rounds (Mixing +P JHPs, Standard JHPs, and ball) and hit has ran 100% with everything I've ran through it, not even so much as a hiccup.

It is more accurate than I am, I removed the factory night sites and added XS Bigdot sights and the results are thus far favorable, I am still getting used to them but it's getting better for me. I'm still having some trouble past 15 yards holding a nice group.

I actaully got to use the rail with a Streamlight light/laser combo and it worked well.

Some find it to be too heavy, but I tend to diagree. As mentioned above I still find it to be just a little too light. Despite the weight, it still carries and conceals well as long as you have a good holster.

For reviews on carrying Sigs, see HERE

Administrator
    I've carried a "R" at work for at least a few years now. I think its one of the finest combat pistols ever made. Its a little large/heavy for CCW duties IMO, but if you can swing it go for it.
    I've never had a single problem with it, and I shoot a lot in all types of conditions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well I love my 220. I am a cadet in a police academy right now and they operate off of an approved weapons list. Sig 220, 245, 239, 228, 229, 226, 225 and the poly Sigs are all approved for carry. I will be using my 220 for the academy and then on the street.

I like the 220 Carry the best, but my 220 is great. I went to the range on Friday for the 1st time in a few months and the recoil was much lower than I remembered.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I love mine. It's an older model with the plastic grips. I like them better than the new ones. Accuracy is great and reliability is phenomenal . It points perfectly for me.

Personally I prefer the SA triggers on 1911s but i cannot afford the same kind of quallity I get with the sig in a high end 1911.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Great .45

The P220R Carry has been a great gun for CCW. I found a good deal, so I picked it up. The Carry is commander sized, but just a tad thicker. Overall, it's a great shooter, light felt recoil, and a Sig. The P220 line keeps looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    For daily carry I bounce back and forth between a 92FS, SIG P-232 and, as soon as I get ammo, my old Colt Det. Spl.
    (That was a handy gun while driving a cab in NYC!)
    I'd like to round things out with a SIG P220.
    SIG makes fine guns and I want a .45.
    Who really knows this gun and what do you think of it?
    Thanks!
    Seeing that I've once worked at the Sig Plant and machined quite a few of the P220 series guns, I must say that you'd have ONE HECK OF A HANDGUN should you decide to purchase one. I PREFER the OLDER sig P220 guns for some reason. Tye to find a P220 without the rail, as you'll have a bit of a difficult time locating a holster with the rail addition buiilt into the leather....Just my opinion here,
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    ... I PREFER the OLDER sig P220 guns for some reason. Tye to find a P220 without the rail, as you'll have a bit of a difficult time locating a holster with the rail addition buiilt into the leather....Just my opinion here,
    Do you mean older as in an "ST" model without the rail or a pre "ST" model?

The fact that they all have rails (the full size guns at least) upsets me, I didn't want a rail for just that reason (holster availability) but I lucked out on all 3 of my holsters for the Sig.

Assistant Administrator
    My earlier 220 I bought from Gary Brommeland - great gun, and without rail.

I have no prob's with a rail, my EDC 226 ST has one but I don't miss it on the 220. For me it is probably the ideal .45 acp but I find my 226 or 228 seem to have an edge for groupability - probably just me tho!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I love my Carry with the DA/SA trigger, Sig makes a great gun, i dislike 1911's so my ideal .45 is the p220
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Administrator
    Probably one of the best, most reliable, accurate, and ergonomically pleasing handguns ever manufactured. I have 2. I usually carry the alloy frame. It's just a phenomenal handgun that eats everything and never burps.
    They can usually benefit from a slightly lighter weight hammer spring.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've been shooting both the P245 and the P220 (both older stamped/welded slide guns) for a while now. I've found them exceedingly "well behaved" guns. By that I mean that they are completely reliable, very, very accurate (sub 2.5" @ 25 yards) and generally easy to shoot well. Personally, I don't think there's a better "out of the box" .45 ACP available (unless one moves up to the high end 1911 offerings).

JD
    .I meant the older german made P220,245, 226, 225, 228 series guns. Just something about them, that makes me want them more than the newer US made guns.... I know the other P series guns shoot very well also...but I prefer to not have any kind of rail on it..but that's just me..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Though normally a fan of single-action semiautos, the P220 is a definite exception to the rule so to speak. Out-of-the-box mechanical accuracy is normally scary accurate and it has been my experience that with other than handloaded CSWC's, the guns feed ball and about any JHP I've tried. (They do fine with the handloaded CSWC rounds if I load no more than 5 per magazine, which is fine for the range.)

I have but two P220's. One was made in the '90's and is the conventional DA/SA version and of course, has no rail. The other is their DAK version.

This is my DA/SA P220 with Hogue stocks. This pistol's sights were dead-bang "on" for me out of the box. Other than the grips, the pistol is stock. It is one I'd certainly trust my life to.

This is my P220 with the DAK trigger. This one is on constant "house duty" now and is sometimes carried.

In recent weeks I have read about some folks experiencing problems with newer magazines. It seems that they may be a tiny bit shorter and cartridge LOA with some loads creates problems. I have purchased a few extra new SIG-Sauer magazines for my guns and have not experienced any problems at all.

Chronographing both pistols shows that velocities are about the same as for the 4 1/4" Commander with most 230-gr. JHP's that run 860 to 880 ft/sec from the 5" guns doing about 840 ft/sec or so from the SIG-Sauers.

In my opinion, the SIG-Sauer P220 is one of the best choices for a defensive .45 ACP that is not a 1911 and one that is capable of grouping tighter than many of us will ever be able to hold, particularly in a stressful, unpleasant situation.

Best and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links