CCW Choice - S&W M&Pc vs. 908/3913

This is a discussion on CCW Choice - S&W M&Pc vs. 908/3913 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think the better 9mm CCW handgun would be - a S&W M&Pc or a S&W 908 (or 3913)? I have held a ...

Thread: CCW Choice - S&W M&Pc vs. 908/3913

CCW Choice - S&W M&Pc vs. 908/3913

What do you think the better 9mm CCW handgun would be - a S&W M&Pc or a S&W 908 (or 3913)?

I have held a 908 and thought that it felt good in the hand, I liked the trigger pull, and the safety to me is a plus. The biggest benefit for this is the single stack magazine makes for a slimmer gun.

I have yet to hold a M&Pc, but plan to do in the next few days. The fullsize does feel great in the hand though. The benefit to this is capacity. I think the grip is a little shorter than the 908.

I think when you compare them by the numbers (size, weight, etc.) they are very similar.

So, if you had to choose, which would you go with?

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your body size and frame. I'm a victim of a few too many trips to McDonald's, so the slimmer a pistol is, the better for me. That's in the summer, anyway. I find that my S&W 3953 (same size as 908 or 3913) carries very nicely in a Desantis Speed Scabbard for summer carry. I can wear it outside the waistband, but with my belt ran on the outside of the holster to pull it in close. It conceals well under a light cover garment.

In the winter, my CCW is a Glock 27. I've tried it under a light cover garment, but it prints more than my 3953, because it's a tad chunky. It's about the same width as an M&P compact, just a little shorter in the grip with the flat baseplate magazine. No problems printing with my typical fall or winter wear, which is a baggy hooded sweatshirt.

Either pistol will give you reliable service. If I had to choose which one to go with for my only gun, I'd probably go with the M&P compact. I sure would miss my 3953, though. That little single stack gem is one of the best S&W 3rd generation autos to ever come out of their factory. I can't ignore the 12+1 capacity of the M&P, though, and the ability to use the full size 17 round mags.

Of course....you could get both!

You can't have too many 9mm pistols.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Of course....you could get both!

You can't have too many 9mm pistols.
    What he said!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

M&P9c is a great gun. I have the 9mmc, 9mm full size, and 40c. I carry the 40c on a daily basis. I also have the 3913, 6906 and a 908. I like the ergonomics of the M&P much better than the others, and it is overall a smaller package.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    For me slim is in so i would pick the 3913, others dont mind a fatbody gun so the m&p would be fine for them . Its all in how you carry and what you feel your needs are . I like single stack guns myself so that is what i carry .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I appreciate the comments......I was able to handle a M&Pc today, and it felt really great in the hand. Even the double-stack grip didn't seem to be that wide - sure, it's no single stack, but wasn't as wide as I thought it would be.

Still need to do some more research, but it looks like the M&P is the way to go.

M&P 9c or 40c I have the 9c and will be getting the 40C real soon. great feel and the recoil is low!

I'd go M&P, no breakin period, modern reliability standards, very nice finish, great trigger, no need to off safe or decock, adjustable grips, low bore axis, two more free mags right now. Its a more modern design that will compete against the best in todays very competetive marketplace.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    A 3913 is about as perfect a CCW gun as they come.

+1 on the 3913. I carry mine on duty and off. It is one very underated 9mm pistol. Light weight, slim, accurate and 100% reliable, for me. The M&P dosen't do anything for me, that the 3913 can't. YMMV. Good luck with your decision. Regards 18DAI.

Well, I ended up picking up a Kahr MK9, as for me the potential to pocket carry or just have a very small IWB gun was a major decision. So hope the gun buying is done for awhile.

I will be keeping an eye open for a nice 3913 if they turn up in the local shop. They have a used 908, but I rather hold out for the 'nicer' 3913. Then again, I really like those M&P's!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the 3913 Lady Smith, and it has become one of my favorite carry guns. Mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate enough, but I find one of the main attractions is its overall SLIMNESS. I tote mine in a belt holster from Horseshoe Leather.

A good looking gun, to boot. I am going to keep an eye out for another single stack Smith as soon as I get a little money put aside.

I have both a 6946 (double stack version of 39xx) and M&P 40c. They both have their place in my carry arsenal.

Like others have said, "Buy them both!"
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    I am a big fan of the 3913 Lady Smith, and it has become one of my favorite carry guns. Mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate enough, but I find one of the main attractions is its overall SLIMNESS.
    I agree on the reliability of the 3913LS's. It will take any ammunition that's it feed, with no hitches with any of them. It's not my most favorite to carry, but it's in my top three or four of my choices.

- Terry

Links