Anyone else hate the XD sights?

This is a discussion on Anyone else hate the XD sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got about 600 rounds through my XD40SC. I can hit very accurate with it "target shooting" , but when I try defensive shooting (draw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hate the XD sights?

VIP Member

I've got about 600 rounds through my XD40SC. I can hit very accurate with it "target shooting" , but when I try defensive shooting (draw and shoot) , I can't line the sights up quick enough to make a good shot. I don't carry it yet because I'm waiting on a good holster for it ( and growing old waiting ). If I can't make a good shot with it quickly, it does me no good to carry it . It is a very accurate gun, that's not the problem.
    I can hit much better with my 642 at the "quick draw". I'm very accurate with it and feel pretty confident I could make a good hit if needed. I'm going to have the XS Sights put on my XD. I feel like its not only an advantage, but a MUST to be able to carry it and be comfortable with it. Anyone else have problems with the XD sights?

I painted my front sight bright green So I just look for the front sight when drawing and shooting fast. Works well for me.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I like mine, on both XDs.

Even when they're dirty and I can barely see the front dot for 'muzzle crud' I find them easy to acquire.

sights

painted the front sight with flourescent orange, from testors, used a tootpick.

Plan to buy aftermarket sights, TFO's, sometime, but the current configuration is ok with me. I carry the 45 service every day, use it for USPSA, and instruction courses.

JD
    Administrator
    I actually just got done filling in the white dot of my Colt's front sight.

I used some orange Bright Sights site paint, followed up with a coat of the wife's clear nail polish, made quite the difference.

Re applying the flourescent, clear coating.

Good thinking, thanks for the tip.

BTW, I use testors 1367, Floures. Orange
    Last edited by jmsstnr; July 2nd, 2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: add info of paint

JD
    Administrator
    No problem, I plan on changing the sights on the Colt sometime soon, I just need to get the dovetails cut and figure out what sights I want, I have XS big dots on my Sig, I'm thinking Heine straight 8's or Truglo TFOs on the Colt...decisions, decisions.

robere, I'd recommend the TruGlo TFO sights, which I think they make for XDs. I've got them on a Glock and love them.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I love all 3 of mine.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I am more accurate with my xd40sc than with my kahr p9. I bought a very nice holster from sideguardholsters.com. I too am noy fond of the stock sights. I have Trijicon sights on my Glock and I think that would be a good fit for my XD...if they make them to fit the xd.

I just got an XD9sc less than a month ago.

The gun I rented to try out sold me on the XD as it was very accurate. I did not try any defensive type shooting or quick acquisition during my rental session so I never did have the problem you mention. I only shot 50 rounds using XD standard factory sights on the gun I rented.

When I ordered my pistol I ordered it with the XS Big Dot tritium sights from the factory and I gotta say, those are lightning fast acquisition for combat shooting!

Don't get rid of your gun, just get different sights... I do recommend the XS Big Dots!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I tend to put Meprolight night sights on all of my pistols if they don't already have them installed.

I like mepro's... have them on the Glock. I'm trending towards getting away from the traditional 3 dot sights though.

I have middle aged eyes and wearing bi-focals now.

Studies show the brain aligns a vertical sight alignment faster than a horizontal sight arrangement. I don't know how true that is, but I do know I align my Big Dots noticably faster on my XD than the 3 dots on my Glock and 1911's.

I went to the Big Dot's after noticing harder and harder sight alignment on my 3 dots in low light shooting than I did a few years ago. (I also admit, that all my 3 dot tritiums are all the single color green tritium, I haven't tried the two color contrasting tritium on the 3 dots yet)

Those "suresights" with the triangle set up seems to jump right out at you as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No problems with my sites at all.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I just got an XD9sc less than a month ago.

The gun I rented to try out sold me on the XD as it was very accurate. I did not try any defensive type shooting or quick acquisition during my rental session so I never did have the problem you mention. I only shot 50 rounds using XD standard factory sights on the gun I rented.

When I ordered my pistol I ordered it with the XS Big Dot tritium sights from the factory and I gotta say, those are lightning fast acquisition for combat shooting!

Don't get rid of your gun, just get different sights... I do recommend the XS Big Dots!
    I have no intentions on getting rid of my gun. I love my XD. I just need to get better sights on it. Target shooting means nothing to me. If I wanted a gun to target practice with, I sure would'nt have got a Sub Compact.
    I draw and bring the gun up and have to spend alot of precious time finding the sights. I can draw my 642 and be right on it in no time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links