Glock 19 pics.

Glock 19 pics.

This is a discussion on Glock 19 pics. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I forgot there was a time limit on editing posts so I decided to post pics to a new thread. This is the OD G19 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 pics.

Glock 19 pics.

I forgot there was a time limit on editing posts so I decided to post pics to a new thread. This is the OD G19 I picked up on Friday, target shows 30 rounds of 115gr. WWB fmj at 5 yards. Decided to wait on installing the TFO sights until I get the right tools for the job:

Jack

Administrator
    Yup, thats a G19
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I am starting to think I kind of like the two-tone appearance of the OD GLOCKs; not enough that I want one for myself, but it's still kind of cool looking. Are there any where the slide is also that color, or is the Tenifer coating always black?

P.S. You did what I did once, and blacked-out the serial number on the frame, but not on the barrel block. Easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Are there any where the slide is also that color, or is the Tenifer coating always black?
    Glock doesn't do it, may be able to get it done as an aftermarket...

VIP Member
    Man, if Glock 'em Down was still here, he'd be drooling... BTW, does anyone know what happened with GeD?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Man, if Glock 'em Down was still here, he'd be drooling... BTW, does anyone know what happened with GeD?
    Could be something as simple as he went on vacation and doesn't have internet access where he is. That's why I was absent from June 23 through 29...

Hey, on the subject of changing the coating on a GLOCK slide... Is there any reason other than appearance? In other words, are there coatings out there that do "better" at corrosion and wear resistance than GLOCK's Tenifer finish? I've always been under the impression -- and maybe this is due to "marketing" -- that you can't do better than Tenifer. (I also am leery about having someone grind off the Tenifer and maybe miss spots when redoing the slide in hard chrome or whatever. I tend to be covetous of corrosion resistance and nervous about corrosion.)

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    He asked for his account to be closed.

Hard chrome over tennifer

I also am leery about having someone grind off the Tenifer and maybe miss spots when redoing the slide in hard chrome or whatever.
    I had my Glock 19 slide hard chromed by Tripp in Texas, and I don't believe it is necessary to do any grinding prior to the hard chrome plating. It is my understanding that the plating goes directly on the tennifer treated Glock slide without much preparation except cleaning and degreasing. I did it because I like the look of hard chrome better than the black Glock slide.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He asked for his account to be closed.
    Yeah, I read that in another post - I was wondering why. None of my business, of course, but I'm a bit curious.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Pogo2, thanks for the pic and explanation.

If indeed they put the chrome over the Tenifer, it seems as though you'd have a doubly-protected gun! I can't see how that wouldn't be a pretty preferable situation, actually. Hmmm... If you wear down the chrome, which is itself (I guess) unlikely, you'd be back to being protected by the Tenifer.

Can anyone confirm that the chroming is done on top of the Tenifer? And what happens with the breech face, and other areas, that might be affected by the tightening of tolerances as a result of a thicker finish on the parts? Places like the slot for the extractor, etc.

I am starting to think I kind of like the two-tone appearance of the OD GLOCKs; not enough that I want one for myself, but it's still kind of cool looking. Are there any where the slide is also that color, or is the Tenifer coating always black?

P.S. You did what I did once, and blacked-out the serial number on the frame, but not on the barrel block. Easy to miss.
    I sort of felt the same way about the OD green models, sorta cool but not really for me. When I walked into the shop that day there had just been a gun show so the OD was the only 19 they had in stock - and they only had ONE of those. They offered to order a black one for me but I figured, "why not get this one?"

There's someone posting over on GT that owns a shop and does custom finished. Everything from plain finishes to flames on the muzzle - seriously. It seems from reports that his work is first rate stuff, so you might want to pop over there and browse around.

On the chamber block SN ..... well, crap. I had to go check to verify that. I remembered seeing 9x19 stamped on it so when I was uploading pics I thought that's what I was looking at.
    Jack

That group is to big to be a Glock 19. I bet the cause is the OD Green color.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Tenifer isn't a coating, really - it's a change to the chemical composition of the underlying steel. What I'd like to see is a teflon or PTFE coating over top of the nitrate - you'd have a rockwell 68-70 hardened gun that never needs lube, and seldom cleaning.

For the ultimate in hard use coatings check out the Diamond DLC from Bodycote.

After the tennifer process is complete the gun is Grey, then the black finish is added.

As for that group being to big, it is a trigger control issue not the OD. It is also low left.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links