Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. - Page 2

Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

This is a discussion on Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All I can say is WOW! I 'm getting some really great feedback from everyone! This forum rocks. I'm gonna have to go make some ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

All I can say is WOW! I 'm getting some really great feedback from everyone! This forum rocks. I'm gonna have to go make some comparisons at the gun shop and see what feels better in my hand and my wallet.

That 442 Semperfi.45 posted is sweet.
    Can the sights on those be changed?

VIP Member
    Don't forget to check out the used firearm counter too...sometimes you can get some really sweet deals there (look for used Colts ).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Don't forget to check out the used firearm counter too...sometimes you can get some really sweet deals there (look for used Colts ).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Will do, any major things to check on a used wheel gun?

Another question for the forum, I see some of the revos are DAO and some are DA/SA. On the DA/SA, how does that work, first shot is DA and the following shots are SA?

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Another question for the forum, I see some of the revos are DAO and some are DA/SA. On the DA/SA, how does that work, first shot is DA and the following shots are SA?
    DA/SA revolvers work nothing like autos. They shoot every shot DA unless you manually cock the hammer first. DAO revolvers have a shrouded (enclosed) hammer so it cannot be manually cocked.

Here's my every day companion

VIP Member
    Will do, any major things to check on a used wheel gun?

Check here for pointers on wheel guns from Bud White: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25317

As for DAO, some revolvers have an internal hammer. Smith makes them (the Centennial model), and Taurus calls their concealed-hammer model the CIA. For these, there is no external hammer to hand-cock. Any revolver with an external hammer is capable of DA/SA fire, although most are fired exclusively double-action. Smith and Taurus make shrouded-hammer models that are snag-free but still have a bit of the hammer exposed so they can be thumbed: Smith's is the Bodyguard, and Taurus' is the Protector.

This is kinda bad form, referencing another forum, but I thought this was pretty interesting and relevant to your question:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=57816

I got my G27 a few months ago but prior to that I carried a Taurus 85 .38 spl , they call it hammerless but there is a hammer it is just bobbed and is DAO.

I have had several S&W and Taurus over the years. Yes there is a difference but it was nothing that would keep me from buying another Taurus. I agree with another poster in that the Taurus semi autos had problems but I never had a problem with any of my Taurus revolvers.

I still have the Taurus 85, just haven't parted with it yet. It is very handy for exactly the situations that you mentioned, quick trips, extremely humid days...etc.

Randy W
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Administrator
    Actually the reality is that the LEAST expensive revolver that you can buy is sometimes the one that you'll get the most money back for should you ever decide to sell it.

So while the Taurus revolvers are less expensive "going in" - Smith & Wesson will do you better going out. They do keep their value better.

For that reason and if there is a chance that you migh want to sell it at some future point in time I would probably stick with S&W.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That 442 Semperfi.45 posted is sweet.
    Can the sights on those be changed?

They can only be changed by a competent gunsmith (Cylinder and Slide does it), since they are not pinned and would require machining. I think the cost of the sight and work would be more than the gun is worth.

I don't have a lot of need for aftermarket sights since I have no problem with accuracy with the 442. Definitely not out of the question in the future though.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Links to pictures (I'm using Taurus' website since I am more familiar with it).

The fully enclosed, no-external hammer model, the CIA:
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

The shrouded-hammer model, the Protector:

The standard, fully-exposed hammer model:

This is the end all thread on S&W 642's The High Road 642 Club
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Mine is a Taurus 85 CH - "Concealed Hammer"

There is a hammer (visable during the pull) but it is flush with the frame and does not snag on clothes or anything.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Semperfi.45, Falcon1, and Hayley thanks for the links. Holy cow Semperfi, that high road thread is no joke! HAHA It will take me a little while to get through that one!

Also thanks for the photos Falcon1, and thanks again to everyone leaving feedback. I am getting some great info and it looks like a lot of folks enjoy their wheel guns Very good to know.

I still have the Taurus 85, just haven't parted with it yet. It is very handy for exactly the situations that you mentioned, quick trips, extremely humid days...etc.
    Exactly, carrying a full size 1911 or USP compact just isn't what you want to do sometimes you know?! Most of the time yes, but other times you just don't wanna. I am really understanding versatility when it comes to guns now that I have been carrying for awhile. I am definitely leaning towards a snubby with concealed hammer.

Nice guns S&WFan and Wedoada. Nice looking taurus

I have the S&W 637 and 642 and love them both. A few times I've even carried both at the same time, the 642 in the pocket and the 637 IWB.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links