Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. - Page 3

Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

This is a discussion on Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by samtechlan I have the S&W 637 and 642 and love them both. A few times I've even carried both at the same ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by samtechlan View Post
    I have the S&W 637 and 642 and love them both. A few times I've even carried both at the same time, the 642 in the pocket and the 637 IWB.
    Nice! Double fisting huh?!

My wife likes her taurus 617 with speer gds 135+p .38sp. She can handle them and is very accurate with them. I like that she has 7 shots

Would you rather have the 442 or the 642? I had had my eyes set on a blued version for a while, and then give the 642 to the wife. Just curious as to everyone's asthetics on the S&W line...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I like (and have) the blued 442. I think it's a better looking gun, but the 642 is no slouch. I also got the 442 because the 642 is not truly stainless, it just looks it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

J-Frame Revolvers, here's my $0.02.

Get the Smith over the Taurus if you can afford it. You never know when you may have to sell a gun to pay bills or buy groceries, and Smith & Wessons hold their value better. Also, many gunsmiths will only work on Smith, Colt or Ruger. Notice, no Rossi, Taurus, Charter Arms or other econo-brand firearms need apply.

I'm not saying that the econo-brand guns won't work, they will, and work fine. It's just that if I have a choice between a Mercedes and a Volkswagon I'll take the Mercedes.

As far as a 9mm Revolver, I'd just get the 38 SPL. I haven't seen many 9mm Revolvers. They require Moon Clips, like the 45 ACP Revolvers to work well. The difference is, there are a jillion Moon Clips out there for the 45 ACP and they are easy to get. Can you say the same about the 9mm clips? Also, you can buy 45 AR for the 45 ACP Revolver. I've never heard of or seen 9mm AR, (AR = Auto Rim).

OK, that's my $0.02 on the matter, good luck.

Biker

First of all, I think once you see how convenient and easy it is to pocket carry a light snubby you'll carry it a lot more than you imagine at this time. With that in mind, I highly recommend the S&W 642, since it's well-suited to pocket carry and is a good value.

For a good pocket holster under twenty bucks, see http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Would you rather have the 442 or the 642? I had had my eyes set on a blued version for a while, and then give the 642 to the wife. Just curious as to everyone's asthetics on the S&W line...
    I like the stainless one, all my other guns are blued so just to mix it up a bit.

That is another thought if I do decide to carry the snubby more often, maybe I should get the better one.

So the only difference from the 642 and the 442 is the stainless version vs. blued version?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

So the only difference from the 642 and the 442 is the stainless version vs. blued version?
    Since they are aluminum, the question is what color do you like?

Semperfi.45, your comment says it all, and since I prefer the blued color over stainless, looks like I will indeed be following your lead!
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's the differences now. I have a nickeled 442 (Received as a gift in '94, so it's a pre-lock too).

I'd spend the extra for the S&W, too. But I will say that Taurus has some nice snubbies including their titanium models.

The best thing, really, is to try them, but that might make you like the S&W more.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'm a fan of the pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers. I've had such good service from them I'd recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    The best thing, really, is to try them, but that might make you like the S&W more.
    +1 - I am amazed at people who don't shoot it before they buy it. One guy I work with bought a Kahr that just didn't fit him and he couldn't hit anything with it. A test firing would have negated that purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Since they are aluminum, the question is what color do you like?
    I thought the 642 had a SS cylinder while the 442's were alloy. Looking in S&W's website, it shows the material for the 642 as "Alloy/Stainless Steel" and the 442 as "Alloy"

I got a 642 over the 442 because of that, however I think the 442 looks better and both guns can handle +P.
    IMO you can't go wrong with either one.

I went and handled a 642 today, felt very nice and good trigger. I gotta go to the range and see if I can rent one. Sucks that there is only one range that rents here. I rented a 638 before, does it shoot similar to a 642? If so I could probably pick one up soon. The store had it on sale for $379, decent price?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links