Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

This is a discussion on Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My routine carry gun(s) are semi-autos, but everyone needs something they can throw into a pocket. I keep a Stainless Taurus 651 in a pocket ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

My routine carry gun(s) are semi-autos, but everyone needs something they can throw into a pocket. I keep a Stainless Taurus 651 in a pocket holster, handy for those occasions.

I love the gun, it's 5 shot, .357, and I find I can shoot it well. Being SS, it's heavy for this category of snubbie. Even so, firing full load 357s is just more fun than you can stand, five times.

If I knew then what I know now, I suspect I'd select something airweight, preferably capable of handling +P and never look back. I'll never get rid of the Taurus, but I just might buy a Smith in the not too distant future! :-) Good luck.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra View Post
    I thought the 642 had a SS cylinder while the 442's were alloy. Looking in S&W's website, it shows the material for the 642 as "Alloy/Stainless Steel" and the 442 as "Alloy"

I got a 642 over the 442 because of that, however I think the 442 looks better and both guns can handle +P.
    IMO you can't go wrong with either one.
    I can't speak for the new ones, but my 442 (Pre-lock) has a SS cylinder & a nickle plated aluminum alloy frame. Maybe they changed them, I don't know.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. The Model 442's do have steel cylinders that are blued. On either the 442 or the 642, only the frame is aluminum. Everything else except the grips of course, is steel. (There could certainly be variations such as the fellow who posted that his 442 had a stainless cylinder and plated frame, but regardless, the cylinders are not aluminum.)

Best.

The 442 is just a Centennial (hammerless J-frame) Airweight (aluminum-framed). The blued finish is pretty new, so the 442/642 thing is not a blue/stainless decision if one includes older models.

Be advised that the guys on the S&W forum haven't ever gotten a straight answer on whether S&W recommends firing +Ps from the original Airweights. Just something to think about.

YMMV,
    Herk

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    The 442 is just a Centennial (hammerless J-frame) Airweight (aluminum-framed). The blued finish is pretty new, so the 442/642 thing is not a blue/stainless decision if one includes older models.

Be advised that the guys on the S&W forum haven't ever gotten a straight answer on whether S&W recommends firing +Ps from the original Airweights. Just something to think about.

YMMV,
    Herk
    So past models were different, are the new models pretty much the same, did they lose features that made them different?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    So past models were different, are the new models pretty much the same, did they lose features that made them different?
    I'm no Smith & Wesson expert (or any other kind, for that matter), but I do think at one time the Centennials had a grip safety that performed a similar function to the M1911A1's grip safety. It was later removed. I had heard rumors that S&W was going to reintroduce a Centennial model with a grip safety as part of it's Classic line, but haven't heard more since.

Snub

It's not a bad price for a gun in good shape. As for your sights, it's pretty easy to put in a colored insert in the fixed front sight blade. Our most popular color is a jade green with a kind of pearl or sparkle in it. No machine work necessary, just a steady hand with a file so the average gun plumber can do it. At the shop where I work we do trigger work on S&W and Taurus equally, no looking down on the Taurus. A sight insert and a carry trigger job together should cost you about $40 or so.

Lately it seems price is the primary concern of our customers. Pawns are way up, sales are slowing. Negotiate a little, it's a buyer's market.

And my S&W 940 is not for sale, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I'm no Smith & Wesson expert (or any other kind, for that matter), but I do think at one time the Centennials had a grip safety that performed a similar function to the M1911A1's grip safety. It was later removed. I had heard rumors that S&W was going to reintroduce a Centennial model with a grip safety as part of it's Classic line, but haven't heard more since.

Thats interesting, I didn't realize they had safetys like that on the S&W's.

A sight insert and a carry trigger job together should cost you about $40 or so.
    Cool ,thanks for the tip Superhouse $40 is very reasonable. Your not in north FL by any chance are you? Because I have been convinced.

I went and looked at the S&W and Taurus revos today and went home with my brand new S&W 642 today. $250 out the door after I traded in my 1st generation Taurus millenium. I can't wait to take it to the range.

I really want to thank everyone on the forum for all the helpful replies, I was not very snubby educated, so thank you very much!!!! I feel confident that I made a good choice with your guys help!

Now whats up with those Mika holsters, are they thin?

[IMG][/IMG]

Congrats on your new snubbie. I love my 442 in a mika. It is easy to forget it is there.

Enjoy and shoot it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Congrats on your new snubbie. I love my 442 in a mika. It is easy to forget it is there.

Enjoy and shoot it alot.
    Awesome, thanks Zero. Hey, are the Mika holsters soft or are they hard molded?
    Thanks

They are soft thin synthetic stuff. With a band of “shelf liner like” something around it. I dig leather but feel this holster serves its purpose well. It doesn’t get hot or sweat. Everyone has their own take. I am SUPER happy with mine. I wear cargo style shorts often in the summer and my pistol just disappears. I never think anyone sees it like I do sometimes with other holsters.

Enjoy your snub!

Great, thanks zero, I will probably try one of those. Hell, for $20 you can't go wrong. I want something that will be thin, not sure how thin leather pocket holsters are.

Yes, can’t beat the price. I did my research here and elsewhere. So far so good. I was surprised by how well it works.

Good to hear it is working well for you. I have been looking at a bunch of different ones but I am still interested in the Mika. I definitely want to stick with something thin. Does everything stay put pretty well when it is in your pocket, and are you using the square cut or round? Sorry for all the questions. Don't mean to interrogate ya, today is the first time I saw that brand of holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Thats interesting, I didn't realize they had safetys like that on the S&W's.

Cool ,thanks for the tip Superhouse $40 is very reasonable. Your not in north FL by any chance are you? Because I have been convinced.

I went and looked at the S&W and Taurus revos today and went home with my brand new S&W 642 today. $250 out the door after I traded in my 1st generation Taurus millenium. I can't wait to take it to the range.

I really want to thank everyone on the forum for all the helpful replies, I was not very snubby educated, so thank you very much!!!! I feel confident that I made a good choice with your guys help!

Now whats up with those Mika holsters, are they thin?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Got one for my wife, and she loves it. I would not want to be in front of her with hers. Bought me one, could not shoot it worth a crap. Sold it, just cuz I can not shoot it, not the gun. Gonna go with a Kahr instead. Luck on your purchase, good choice.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links