Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

This is a discussion on Revolvers, need the forums wisdom. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good afternoon everybody, I am thinking about getting a revolver. I have never owned one, but shot a few. I am thinking something small, 2 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

Revolvers, need the forums wisdom.

Good afternoon everybody,
    I am thinking about getting a revolver. I have never owned one, but shot a few. I am thinking something small, 2 inch barrel, 38, and kinda cheap. This snubby would rarely get carried. It would mainly get thrown in my pocket (with pocket holster) for quick trips to the store when I don't want to put my HK and VMII on. Just a little beater gun. I know the Taurus snubbies are cheaper than the S&W's. Is there much difference in the quality? And how come nobody really makes revolvers in 9mm?
    Thanks for any feedback
    Bowie

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Taurus revolvers are good for the price. They have good triggers and are reliable. The fit and finish is not near S&W and they won't last the round count a S&W will but you get a lifetime warrenty with them so you can always send it back and get it replaced or repaired.

9mm revolvers are out there do a search on Gunbroker for them. Its just nobody makes them right now.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lol i just sold a taurus 905 j frame in 9mm a couple of months ago . Is there that much difference between taurus and S$W ?? IMO yes there is .. howeaver having owned both , and with the abuse a ccw gun endures i wont pay for a smith . If you want pride buy a smith , if you want works chap buy a NEW taurus . Taurus has had spotty quality , but all thier new stuff seems ok to me . You should note that i am a somewhat confirmed gun snob that carrys kahrs and just picked up a hk pistol tho . I do own a kel-tek in my own defense lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Kat
    About a year ago, I picked up a SW 642 for pretty much the same use. I have it pretty much at all times (except when in bed).

I do think you get better quality over the Taurus with the SW.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

S&W 642/442 are the standard

I think it is safe to say that the S&W models 642 (stainless) and 442 (blue) J frame snubbies are the standard .38 pocket carry revolvers. The guns have alloy frames and weigh about 15 ounces empty, and have internal hammers so they are DAO and won't snag on your clothing during the draw. With the best ammo (Speer Gold Dot +P) you can get about 860 fps muzzle velocity with a 135 grain hollowpoint bullet, for 225 ft-lbs of energy.

The guns are reliable and don't cost that much, generally about $400. They have 5 shot capacity. I've had the 642 for about 10 years, and it has been perfectly dependable and is easy to conceal.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Very helpful! As far as the 9mm revolver goes, I never saw them much, were they not popular?

Hey Redneck, which HK did you get?

kle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    As far as the 9mm revolver goes, I never saw them much, were they not popular?
    I don't know and I wish they were...reliable revolver, inexpensive ammo...really the only hang-ups with them are that the extraction is tricky. You gotta use a trick extractor that can extract the rimless cartridges (like S&W's 547 or the P&R Medusa model 47), moon clips (like the S&W 940, Taurus 905, or Ruger SP101), or you could use the one-by-one poke-'em-out extraction method (like the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible).

I for one like the idea, and I carry a Taurus 905. The recoil is pretty snappy, making aimed follow-up shots slow, and it doesn't hold as many rounds as my Keltec P11 (5 in the 905, vs 10+1 in the P11), but it carries better in my pocket than my 905 (doesn't print "GUN!" as easily) and at close range, it's probably more than enough.

After seeing the beautiful Nighthawk custom package on a Ruger SP101 in .357 (http://www.geminicustoms.com/Revolve...20Services.htm) I'm thinking real hard about getting another snubbie in .357 Magnum. I'm not really holding out any hope of finding an SP101 in 9mm (they were made at one point, apparently, but I have yet to even see one).

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd also recommend checking out Rossi's newer guns. They're owned by the same parent company as Taurus, and are also good budget choices.

I sometimes carry my Taurus 617. It's a snubby in 357 mag, a 7 shooter a la Smith and Wesson. This little Taurus is ported and handles the 357s comfortably. Don't remember the cost. Wasn't much. Of course I can't hit anything with it.

I have a Taurus 605. My dad has an aluminum-framed S&W J-frame. His certainly is a nicer gun, but they both fire, and accurately. I like the looks of the Taurus snubbies over the J-frame, personally. I get better follow-up shots with my 605, but that's just because of the stainless vs. aluminum weight difference. The 605 can handle .357s without a problem (recoil is fairly light, even), whereas the Smith can't take them, but again, I'm sure the steel-framed Smiths are capable of firing .357.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I know the Taurus snubbies are cheaper than the S&W's. Is there much difference in the quality?
    Yes, there is a difference and it is reflected in the price.

The major difference is in the quality of the trigger. Taurus ranges from acceptable to downright disastrous. Smith & Wessons, including the new ones, are uniformly excellent.

Get a S&W snub. If you cannot swing a new one, get a used one.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
    The 605 can handle .357s without a problem (recoil is fairly light, even), whereas the Smith can't take them, but again, I'm sure the steel-framed Smiths are capable of firing .357.
    The scandium framed S&Ws can take any 357 abuse you can dish out. They will kill at the front one and hurt at the back end, though as they are very light.

If you want a 357 S&W snub, get a Model 60 stainless steel 2".

Good afternoon everybody,
    I am thinking about getting a revolver. I have never owned one, but shot a few. I am thinking something small, 2 inch barrel, 38, and kinda cheap.
    Hey, that was me before I got...

...my first revo after 20 years of Glocks and one Colt .45. Now I'm hooked on it. I downsized from a G27 for everyday carry to the 442, works great for me and my carry needs (don't bother to comment). If you do get one, I think you should go with a S&W Airweight. Proven performer, adequate caliber and great price point.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I carry a Taurus. Titanium Ultralite.

It's not a S&W, but it's good and accurate and nice to shoot. Never had a problem with any Taurus revolver. Their autos are another story in my experience, but their revolvers are good. At least the ones I have had experience with.

Someone mentioned Rossi. IMO They aren't bad if you don't plan on putting a lot of full power loads through them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Revolvers

I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger SP101. in 357.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links