M&P or XD?

This is a discussion on M&P or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I try to use the lower portion of my thumb and palm around my thumb to press on the back of the slide....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P or XD?

I try to use the lower portion of my thumb and palm around my thumb to press on the back of the slide.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    got both! prefer the M&P my .02
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    I've never shot a M&P. If you decide to go with an XD get it in the compact, if it fits you hand without a palm swell

You get two sizes for the price of one. As a compact it conceals great in a C-TAC. The extended mag provides for an alternate grip size and addtional round capacity.
    +1 on the compact XD. You can carry full size reload mags and still conceal with the compact easier.

Never fired a M&P, so I can't really comment. The XD45C sold me and it is a combat proven weapon (HS2000). Mine points very naturally for me and I love the trigger pull. It's the closest thing to single action 1911 style in a hammerless gun that I've ever fired. Just slightly heavier.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

RE the "top heavy" feel of the xd: I thought so but that disappears with a full mag (even the compact one). Once I start shooting I never notice it again.

Oh, and it is pretty easy to not press the grip safety while holstering if you want.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Don't own either one, but have shot them both. I much prefered the M&P.
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    XD is a beautiful gun, but I"ve never fired the M&P so I can't offer a comparison. You do however get a lifetime warranty with Springfield Armory which is terrific.
    S&W also has a lifetime warranty, and is made in the U.S. I haven't used the service, but have heard good things about it. Nothing against Springfield, I own one of those too. I hear their service is outstanding.

You couldn't go wrong with either, but for many reasons, I prefer the M&P. The feel, interchangeable grips, and trigger sold me. I liked the XD, but I liked the M&P MORE.

I had the same decision to make and went with the M&P. 600 rounds later without a hitch. I think I made a good choice.

Thank you guys. Your input is very valuable. Keep it coming...

FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

My Glocks (yes - plural) and my XD have been gathering dust since I shot the M&P series.

The M&P has all the reliability of both of them - with greater ergonomics than either of them.

Another consideration that was important to me is spare parts - Glock and S&W sell all the parts needed for their handguns - whereas with the XD you must send your handgun back to Springfield - as they won't sell you any spare parts.

For potential SHTF use - that is important to me.

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron

I've never fired an M&P. I own 2 XD's and am thoroghly satisfied with how they've shot at the range and hunting. From everything I have read, there seems to only be a select few manufacturers or models that are a NO GO. Glock, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, Sig, and many others seem to produce an overwhelming number of satisfied carriers. Guess you just have to decide which one YOU like better when it comes to comfort and concealment with YOUR body type. :) God bless you man...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    .... you just have to decide which one YOU like better when it comes to comfort and concealment with YOUR body type. :) God bless you man...
    Amen! I find it funny when we as gun people say things like uh uh the one I like is better na na na nana. An M&P is not better than an XD, nor is either one of those better than a Glock , or any of many other guns. Anyone of them will make a great carry piece. As long as it fits the user, is fed good ammo, is well maintained and the user knows and undestands the intricacies and manual of arms for whatever they carry.

My intention is not to upset anyone here.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I am looking at another handgun.

You are also down to my 2 choices...

I will be heading down to The Bulletstop and renting both to see which I prefer...

That's the only real solution to this question. Or... take AlienNations suggestion

The XD and the M&P were my two finalists before I bought my first CCW gun. You can't go wrong with either one, but I chose the XD for the trigger and the grip safety. I thought the design of the XD was better, although I recognize that the M&P is also a quality gun.

I have the XD 9 and 40 in sub compact and the M&P 9 and 40 in the compact, and Glock 26,27, and 33 in the baby glock. I carry the M&P 40c ALL THE TIME! It feels better in the hand over the XD and Glock, has a great trigger, and is just as reliable and in my case more accurate than the others. My finish on my XD pistols have not worn like some others have, and the finish on the Glocks is perfect as well. So far the finish on the M&P has held up fine, only time will tell if it continues to be as good as the Glock and XD. Can't go wrong with either the M&P or XD, but having both, I carry the M&P exclusively.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

tried them both and took the XD on a reliable recommendation. they were so close in comparison it was very hard to decide. had it for months and love it to this day. i'm hoping the rumors of an XD-45 sub-compact come true.
    What's this button do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links