M&P or XD?

This is a discussion on M&P or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am ready to add one more (just one for now) to the CCW collection, and I am trying to decide between the M&P and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P or XD?

M&P or XD?

I am ready to add one more (just one for now) to the CCW collection, and I am trying to decide between the M&P and the XD (both in 9mm). I currently have S&W Sigma and Kel-Tec for CCW.

I understand there is always a subjective personal argonomics issue, but I am interested in your input on issues such as features for the money, quality, known problems, accuracy, relaibility, maintenance, etc.

Which one and why --

Thanks for your help,

FD
    Last edited by FiringDragon; July 2nd, 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: (Wrote DX instead of XD -- sorry...)
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

2. Remove Ads

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a DX?

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

XD, maybe? I've never heard of a DX, but I'm not always on top of new things.

XD maybe?

I just picked up an XD 45 compact today and must say I dont care for the trigger much. Not a deal breaker but the MP's I've felt were very nice. Good luck

I had an XD45 on layaway for a brief time but ended up cancelling it (financial reasons). The XD felt pretty good but it seems top heavy to me. The M&P however is very impressive though, particularly the Compact models. Everything about them just feels natural to me - though I bought a Glock 19 for parts availability and greater aftermarket support. IMHO, if they decide to release a subcompact in the size of the G26/27 the already good sales will skyrocket.
    Jack

The XD also feels top heavy to me, especially the sub compact model. The XD's are nice guns. I had one before it was called the XD. At that time it was called the HS2000. I still know where it is and work with the person who owns it. He likes it also.
    I will say though that I prefer the M&P. I love my .40c. It is very nice to shoot and is a natural pointer for me also. I also like that it is made in the USA!!

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I have three XDs and I have not ever had a failure or malfunction of any kind in any of them. The XD is truly a combat pistol. You should really read the XD torture test article by Chaim Stein.
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php

XD is a beautiful gun, but I"ve never fired the M&P so I can't offer a comparison. You do however get a lifetime warranty with Springfield Armory which is terrific.

Distinguished Member
    I picked up a Steyr MA1 9mm from CDNN. Not an XD or M&P but I have been totally impressed with the ergonomics and accuracy, not to mention the price. Just a thought.

Senior Moderator
    I'm go with the M&P.

Reasons:
    The curves of the M&P vs the boxiness of the XD means it's easier to conceal under more "hugging" clothing.

The palm swells are interchangeable to customize "grip."

While the grip safety on the XD has never proven to be a problem, I've always personally thought it seemed to small (but this is personal prejudice talking here).

I find the trigger pull of the M&P to be more comfortable than the XD.

And that's about it for now.

Other than that they are both fabulous guns and you wouldn't be doing too bad for getting either.

I once considered the two and the M&P easily won that competition. I don't like the XD trigger, the M&P has more grip options and palm swells which I like, and it is also lower profile. Overall I found it a fun gun to shoot. I liked it right away and bought one. I've since purchased another.

Buy both and send me the one you don't like!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I've never shot a M&P. If you decide to go with an XD get it in the compact, if it fits you hand without a palm swell

You get two sizes for the price of one. As a compact it conceals great in a C-TAC. The extended mag provides for an alternate grip size and addtional round capacity.

The grip safety on the XD also provides an addtional safety margin. Shoving the pistol back in the holster with a wad of cover gament entangled in the trigger housing could have some unwanted side effects plus the size of the safety forces you to place your hand higher up on the grip creating better control.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    The grip safety on the XD also provides an addtional safety margin. Shoving the pistol back in the holster with a wad of cover gament entangled in the trigger housing could have some unwanted side effects
    Wouldn't the grip safety normally be pressed in anyway when reholstering?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links