Tired of debating what caliber to get?

This is a discussion on Tired of debating what caliber to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now you won't have to. http://taurususa.com/products/produc...egory=Revolver http://taurususa.com/products/produc...egory=Revolver Freaking awesome. I want one. I mean seriously, I keep all those caliber around anyway. The possibility of ...

Thread: Tired of debating what caliber to get?

Tired of debating what caliber to get?

Now you won't have to.

http://taurususa.com/products/produc...egory=Revolver

http://taurususa.com/products/produc...egory=Revolver

Freaking awesome. I want one. I mean seriously, I keep all those caliber around anyway. The possibility of one gun that uses them all is just too sweet. I can also see some interesting carry options that this could create.

I probably wouldn't carry it but it's still cool.

2. Remove Ads

Great concept...IMO only problem I see is it's a Taurus!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I dunno Deke for me that's a selling point. I wouldn't want to pay a premium price for such a weird gun, and I don't like junk either. I think Taurus foots the bill here nicely.

The price seems reasonably attractive...I personally had a bad experience with Taurus, first the POS gun, then the POS customer service. Now that's been a couple years ago and maybe they got their stuff together these days, never gave them another chance. I would be interested in hearing from someone who has had hands-on with this piece though.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Be intersted to hear how one is not sure id buy one yes im a gun snob... lol but i also had a bad exp with a taurus

VIP Member
    I have not owned a Taurus, but would consider this one. I like shooting auto cartridges in a revolver.

-Scott-

Honestly, I think in the revolver field, Taurus is getting better while the Smith and Wessons they clone are getting worse.

The real strengths of a Taurus is that the service, from my understanding, has gotten better, so even if you do get a lemon you can at least get it fixed.

They also cater better to the CCW market with a lot of designs like this that S&W, Ruger, and Colt won't do. And in at least one major way (i.e. the cursed internal lock), their design is actually better sometimes.

They make some things I'd like to have that you just can't get in another brand. I'm ticked off to no end that they stopped making the model 445. I wanted one, and there's nothing else even comparable from another maker

I'm also somewhat interested in their new 1911. I wonder how it compares to the low end Springfield models.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Euc,

There's a way to do this now. Learn to reload.

You have a nice .357 Mag don't you?

Use a light hollow-point for small game. Load a heavy linotype bullet to take down a small black bear. Or buy cheap swaged 148 grain wadcutters to punch paper. Duplicate Air Force ammo with FMJ's. Buy shot capsules for rodents. Treat yourself to some premium 125 grain hollow-points for some wilderness camping trips.

With things already on my shelf, and for pennies per shot, I have stuff right now that we could assemble to stop and kill a cape buffalo.

Point taken Tourist, but I'm still a member of the "factory loads for carry" school of thought. That's where I think this idea is interesting.

I actually do want to get a press some time in the relatively near future. The calibers that interest me the most tend to either require rolling your own for optimal experience or they're just plain expensive. Fear not for when the time is right I shall undertake your dark tutelage for I shall have no idea what the heck I am doing.

However I might move within the next year and I really don't want to transport the damn thing. It's just one more headache I can prevent. When I get somewhere that I feel like I'm going to be on a more permanent basis I'll get serious about it.

I'd actually been saving my brass, which my brother threw away. Sigh... oh well.

Assistant Administrator
    Did you notice it has ''RIBBER'' grips?? Is that a typo or their name for the grip.

Nice concept - tho I am somewhat more keen on a dedicated platform per cal - whilst accepty the duality of 38spl/.357. A gun I sure would like to try that's for sure.

My beat up ol M85 still goes on very well - wife's carry now - and the M66 has proved to be an excellent value revo - smooth as silk and delight to shoot. Possibly lucky, cos there have been plenty of 'Taurus-knocking' comments made over time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I don't ever intend togo down the 7 shooter route again. I tried a 686+ once and didn't like it.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    No, 'ribber' is correct. The grip is made of an injected molded rubber handle that appears to be thin ribbs stacked together. It is supposed to absorb recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I don't ever intend togo down the 7 shooter route again. I tried a 686+ once and didn't like it.
    I think they're making a standard six round capacity model too.

I'm with you. I don't really like the 7 shot cylinders either.

Their new grips look funky as all hell. They work remarkably well on my 28 ounce .44 non-ported mag.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I don't know that I would be too hot for the full-size, but that snubbie would be a great back-up or BOB gun. The only thing comparable is a drop-in cylinder conversion (by someone down in TX) that will let you shoot everything from .32 to .38 Super (I'm guessing the Triad would too?). The cylinder conversion for the 686 or GP-100 runs about $600, last time I checked.....

Links